PDA

View Full Version : Robust tool rest

Tom Brouillette
05-09-2016, 7:49 AM
I just bought my first Robust tool rest - the 14" J-shaped inside bowl model. The quality, craftmanship, and beefiness impressed me as soon as I saw it, but using it over the weekend made me really glad I bought it. I had planned on using it only on bowls, but I see it as my go-to rest, and probably the first of several Robust rests I plan to buy.

You really get what you pay for.

Roland Martin
05-09-2016, 8:03 AM
Robust rests are certainly well made and the "go to" rests for me. More often then not, you get what you pay for, and Robust usually delivers in everything they do.

Roger Chandler
05-09-2016, 8:30 AM
Yep.......I like the Robust rests! I completely overhauled my toolrest inventory by purchasing 6 Robust rests about 6 weeks ago.....15" comfort rest, 14" j rest, 9" low profile rest, 6" low profile rest, 12" inside curve rest, 12" outside curve rest all custom length posts to fit my G0766 exactactly! :D I have upgraded my large lathe 3 times in the past 10 years, and some of the older ones I had were just a tad too short on the post....they would work, but I wanted more post down in the banjo.

I was able to sell my older Robust rests, and recoup about 1/2 what the new ones cost me, so I am good with that!

lynn cranmer
05-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Hi Roger, what length did you have them make for the G0766?

Roger Chandler
05-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Hi Roger, what length did you have them make for the G0766?8-3/4" total height -top of rest to bottom of post is the ideal median for the 22" swing G0766, but 8.50" will also work with plenty of post into the banjo.

Justin Stephen
05-09-2016, 1:39 PM
Upgraded by Delta 46-460 rest to a Robust and was a much happier man for it. When I upgraded lathes, I had assumed that I would do the same thing again but found that I am pretty happy with the default PM 3520B rest (similar design to the Robust) so I never have. I've never used any rest but the default, come to think of it, and it has been a few years now.

William C Rogers
05-09-2016, 8:53 PM
I raised my Powermatic 90 for an 18" swing. I bought 5 tool rest from Robust. Inside, outside bowl, J rest, 12" and 6" comfort rests. I just called them and they did the math and made them with 1 1/8 post. I have only used them a little, but I really like them. Much better than what I had. Nice quality.

Jeff Grantham
05-10-2016, 3:39 PM
I raised my Powermatic 90 for an 18" swing. I bought 5 tool rest from Robust. Inside, outside bowl, J rest, 12" and 6" comfort rests. I just called them and they did the math and made them with 1 1/8 post. I have only used them a little, but I really like them. Much better than what I had. Nice quality.

This is a timely thread - I've been looking at tool rests and had decided on Robust for an inside and outside curve. But I have been unsure as to whether to get the standard or long post for my Nova 1624. Their matrix shows standard for all Nova lathes, though it doesn't list the 1624 specifically, and when I read the dimensions, it looks like the standard might not be quite long enough, and the long too long.

So they'll customize them to whatever length you need? I guess I should give them a call myself ;-)

Tom Brouillette
05-10-2016, 5:34 PM
The one I just got is standard, and I turn on a Nova 1624. You'll love it.

William C Rogers
05-10-2016, 6:08 PM
This is a timely thread - I've been looking at tool rests and had decided on Robust for an inside and outside curve. But I have been unsure as to whether to get the standard or long post for my Nova 1624. Their matrix shows standard for all Nova lathes, though it doesn't list the 1624 specifically, and when I read the dimensions, it looks like the standard might not be quite long enough, and the long too long.

So they'll customize them to whatever length you need? I guess I should give them a call myself ;-)

All I did was give them a call and told them I was raising my PM 90 3"". Of corse I mentioned the post size1 1/8, but they knew and figured everything else for me. Very easy for me and like others I really like them.

Jeff Grantham
05-11-2016, 6:52 AM
The one I just got is standard, and I turn on a Nova 1624. You'll love it.

Awesome, good to know! And you like the "J Rest" style?

Tom Brouillette
05-11-2016, 7:52 AM
Awesome, good to know! And you like the "J Rest" style?

I finished off three 8'-10" bowls last weekend. I was very pleased with it. Very nice support where you need it.

Roger Chandler
05-11-2016, 8:44 AM
Awesome, good to know! And you like the "J Rest" style?The "J" rest style is good for getting deep inside a vessel.....the reach inside allows for support of the tool close to the sides and bottom and helps eliminate chatter, which dramatically improves the cut.

Tom Megow
05-11-2016, 9:33 AM
Did you get 1" posts? or the size that comes with the 0766? (Can't remember the dia)

Mike Goetzke
05-11-2016, 9:52 AM
I finished off three 8'-10" bowls last weekend. I was very pleased with it. Very nice support where you need it.

Tom (and others) - I was thinking of getting the inside curved rest for bowls but now I see the J-curved rest with your comments. If I'm just using the rest for just bowls would the J perform just as well as the curved?

Thanks

terry mccammon
05-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Gentlemen, you are all in very grave danger. This is a terrible, slippery slope. Soon you will be figuring out how to sell one of your children/dog/cars to get an American Beauty. Turn back now while there is still hope.

Roger Chandler
05-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Did you get 1" posts? or the size that comes with the 0766? (Can't remember the dia)Tom, I opened up the banjo hole on my lathe to 1" diameter. I got the 1" posts for that. Such a simple and quick thing to do, and changing from the 25mm metric dimension to the 1" allows me to have any standard aftermarket rest.

Roger Chandler
05-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Tom (and others) - I was thinking of getting the inside curved rest for bowls but now I see the J-curved rest with your comments. If I'm just using the rest for just bowls would the J perform just as well as the curved?

ThanksFor just bowls, I prefer the inside curve rest.........the "J" rest is for deep walled vessels like vases and hats, but can be used for more than those from time to time.

Jeff Grantham
05-11-2016, 12:37 PM
For just bowls, I prefer the inside curve rest.........the "J" rest is for deep walled vessels like vases and hats, but can be used for more than those from time to time.

Ok since we're going there... I was also trying to decide which shape... I'd love to get both an inside and outside curve if cost were no issue, but was wondering, wouldn't the inside curve work on the outside as well?