PDA

View Full Version : My maple and walnut tables, first tables I ever built!

Michael Yadfar
05-08-2016, 7:42 PM
I just wanted to share the two tables I made, actually my first two ever made. I built these out of solid rough sawn lumber, and besides the Z clip table top fasteners, everything is Mortise and Tenon. The ends on both tables are bread and butter. The legs for the small table is 8/4 Walnut, and the legs for the coffee table are 12/4. On the small table, I used birdseye maple on the top. I used Waterlox Original Sealer and Finish on both. On the coffee table, the finish didn't turn out too well, but I nailed it on the small one.

Even those these were the first two tables I ever built, and among the first pieces in my shop, I'm not going to lie, I took four years of woodshop in high school. I wanted to share these because I think the scheme of the two lumber pieces matched well.

Yonak Hawkins
05-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Michael, those tables are very nice .. and your first ones .. excellent ! They will be a wonderful addition to your home. You've hit the ground running. I envy you in significant ways.

lowell holmes
05-10-2016, 5:39 PM
I like the table. Nice design and good execution.

John Blazy
05-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Super job. The contrast of maple and walnut is one of my favorite combos. You would like Maple and Wenge or maple and zebrawood, but maple and walnut is really the best.

Don't you just love the smell of walnut when you are machining it? Nice finish too. Now you need to graduate to making a thick walnut top with maple sides dovetailed into the top, or vise versa. Now that's a cool contrast, that shows off the dovetails.

Keep having fun!

Malcolm Schweizer
05-12-2016, 1:19 PM
I love it. My signature has always been the use of contrasting woods. The walnut and maple are excellent together. I am visiting the states in June and my brother has some walnut for me. Looking forward to working with it and hope to do it the justice you have done.