PDA

View Full Version : Rosemary For Dementia/Alzheimer's?

Jim Koepke
05-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Recently my reading came across a few articles about rosemary's effect on memory.

It turns out that there are compounds in rosemary oil that may be responsible for changes in memory performance. One of them is called 1,8-cineole - as well as smelling wonderful (if you like that sort of thing) it may act in the same way as the drugs licensed to treat dementia, causing an increase in a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine.
These compounds do this by preventing the breakdown of the neurotransmitter by an enzyme. And this is highly plausible - inhalation is one of the best ways of getting drugs into the brain. When you eat a drug it may be broken down in the liver which processes everything absorbed by the gut, but with inhalation small molecules can pass into the bloodstream and from there to the brain without being broken down by the liver.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33519453

Also search > rosemary dementia < and > rosemary alzheimer's <

I guess I need to get out to the greenhouse and start propagating more rosemary.

Also interesting from the same study was this about lavender oil:

What Mark's team found was remarkable. The volunteers in the room with the rosemary infusion did statistically significantly better than those in the control room but lavender caused a significant decrease in performance. Lavender is traditionally associated with sleep and sedation.

I have successfully used lavender for years to combat insomnia. It is also helpful in soothing skin inflamation. Candy, my wife, says when I use lavender oil at night her sinuses are clearer in the morning.

jtk

Mel Fulks
05-08-2016, 1:08 PM
Most interesting. Had read that it was associated with "remembrance" but I took it in symbolic context. Inevitable that this thread become a potporee ...So.... I used to have frustration nightmares. Tried camomile tea to sleep and noticed I stopped having them. LATER read in a 17th century herb book that "camomile is the only cure and preventive for nightmares".

Bert Kemp
05-08-2016, 2:02 PM
Also I have found that coconut oil helps combat dementia and Alzheimer's plus a whole host of other ailments.
Google coconut oil you'll be pleasantly surprised at all the benefits it has on the human body.
http://draxe.com/coconut-oil-benefits/
just one of many site's telling the benefits of using coconut oil:)

Jim Koepke
05-08-2016, 3:13 PM
Mel, Bert, Thanks for your additions to this thread. Hopefully others will add their knowledge of natural aids to health and living.

I knew camomile helped to relax the body and mind. It is a major ingredient in many restful - 'sleep time' teas. I didn't know it was also helpful in combating nightmares.

Didn't know about coconut oil having so many benefits.

jtk

Brian Ashton
05-09-2016, 6:18 AM
Any out there for high blood pressure?

Jim Koepke
05-10-2016, 2:16 PM
Any out there for high blood pressure?

Yes, starting with fresh garlic. Once you get used to chewing a clove fast and downing a glass water it isn't too bad.

I would suggest cinnamon, but here in the U.S. what is sold as cinnamon is usually not true cinnamon but another spice that tastes the same.

Many other things to help with BP including some changes to the diet.

Dr. Google can help you find more things you may find to your liking.

jtk

Eduard Nemirovsky
05-10-2016, 2:26 PM
Dr. Google can help you find more things you may find to your liking.

jtk

As a physician I would strongly advise not to use Dr.Google as a whole source of info for any kind of aligments. Please just call your physician and ask advise.
I am using Dr.Google to, but with skeptical view. A lot of herbs can cause more damage then good, especially if you taking any other medications.

Ed.

Dennis Peacock
05-10-2016, 3:40 PM
cayenne pepper - I've used fresh ground for stomach issues (1 tsp in 8 oz of warm or hot water, like a tea) and I also keep a bottle of it in the shop. If you get cut, sprinkle cayenne pepper on the wound to immediately stop the bleeding.

Prashun Patel
05-10-2016, 4:27 PM
I'd also be wary of using essential oils from the 'net. My company deals and works with these materials and there is a good deal of misunderstanding in what people are purchasing and what they are selling.

Some rosemary contains 1-8 cineole, but not all rosemary.

In fact, the common name for 1-8 cineole is Eucalptol, which is the principal component of eucalyptus oil. So, if that's what you're after, it would be more efficient and cheaper to purchase that.

This is not a recommendation to do anything with these chemicals, least of all put them in your body.