PDA

View Full Version : Look, No Screws

Wade Samuelson
09-19-2005, 5:14 PM
Visible screws are generally the trademark of my work--but that's because I didn't have any clamps. Well, I finally got a few--bout time since I have been tinkering with this woodworking for a year now. Anyway, my wife needed a box shelf, so I built her one this weekend. My first ever project that used no nails or screws.
http://www.gamefishin.com/uploads/070505/Wader/659_shelf.JPG

Scott Donley
09-19-2005, 6:02 PM
Very nice! Now for the next step, Honey, I can build you a (fill in the blank) if I only had a (new tool) . It is really great when you can stand back and look at something you built and feel good about it, as you should, great job!!

Corey Hallagan
09-19-2005, 6:07 PM
Looks good there Wade! Nice job, sure she is happy with it!

Corey

John Bailey
09-19-2005, 6:40 PM
And remember, he who dies with the most clamps, wins!!

Good first project.

John

Bob Noles
09-19-2005, 7:56 PM
Wade,

I really like your box shelf. I am very fond of pine and the rustic "look" as it suits my taste and style. What finish did you use? You did a very nice job on that project and it was well worth waiting on those clamps. They say you can never have too many :eek:

Vaughn McMillan
09-19-2005, 8:04 PM
Nice job, Wade. Going screwless is sorta liberating, huh? (No wait...that just sounds wrong.) Did you cut the dado joints on the saw or with a router?

As Scott mentioned, you can leverage this project into other projects, preferably some that require tools you don't (yet) have. You didn't mention what type of clamps you got, but keep in mind that plain ol' pipe clamps are pretty inexpensive, they last forever, and you'd be surprised how many ways they can come in handy for things other than gluing wood.

- Vaughn

Ken Fitzgerald
09-19-2005, 8:04 PM
Great job Wade! Surely it justifies the new clamps...

Don Baer
09-19-2005, 8:12 PM
Good job.

I've done a few project with no steel fastners and it is a lot of fun. Right now I am going to start a few small tables and plan on using MT and dowels for all of my fastening. I'm even going to make draws using "natural slides". It should be fun.

Jules Dominguez
09-19-2005, 9:09 PM
That looks very nice. Clean woodworking, attractive wood and a nice finish. I'll second the recommendation for pipe clamps. They're relatively inexpensive and very versatile, length-wise, by using different pipe lengths and couplings. One question - my old eyes couldn't tell how the top is joined to the sides?

Seth Poorman
09-19-2005, 9:11 PM
Nice no screw job Wade ! What kind of finish you using ?

Seth.........

Dale Rodabaugh
09-20-2005, 8:56 AM
Very nice work.I just recently started using the Miller dowels.I have built a couple of stands,including a large one for a big screen TV.No metal fasteners at all.Yeah man them clamps are just great,you can never have too many.I havent bought any of the Bessy clamps,they seem pretty pricey to me.The ones I buy at Sears work just fine.And yeah the Pony pipe clams are AOK for larger projects.:p :D :rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-20-2005, 9:22 AM
Wade it looks great!! It is nice to build something without mechanical fastners!! :)