PDA

View Full Version : Nova Comet II for bowls

Jamie Straw
05-07-2016, 4:41 PM
I see several of you have the Comet II and like it. I'm considering a new lathe, wanting a lower speed range and EVS. I'll do quite a bit of spindle turning, but need to turn green-wood rough bowls and the like also, generally 10" or smaller. How does your Comet II hold up to bowls? Is it easy to mount to a stand for stability? Any other comments, or problems experienced? The current price seems low, especially since it includes a chuck, so my radar is blinking "caution." Thanks!

Jamie Straw
05-07-2016, 11:13 PM
Well, I decided to just order it. I'm sure I can cancel tomorrow (Sunday) if there's a reason to. Sincerely tired of dealing with Reeves drive glitches.

Brian Libby
05-08-2016, 8:33 AM
I just purchased 2 for our club. We haven't used them yet but appear well built. In response to my query on another forum, there is a club that has 6 that they have been using and are very satisfied with them.

Michael Mills
05-08-2016, 9:15 AM
I (my daughter) has had one 2-3 years with no problems.
When mounting makes sure you raise it on blocks. Like most of the smaller DC motors it gets pretty hot and it sits very close to the bench without risers. The risers also helps with cleaning.

Jamie Straw
05-08-2016, 2:21 PM
I just purchased 2 for our club. We haven't used them yet but appear well built. In response to my query on another forum, there is a club that has 6 that they have been using and are very satisfied with them.
Thanks, Brian, so far the news is good (cross-posted at AAW). If the clubs like them, that's saying something!

Jamie Straw
05-08-2016, 2:23 PM
I (my daughter) has had one 2-3 years with no problems.
When mounting makes sure you raise it on blocks. Like most of the smaller DC motors it gets pretty hot and it sits very close to the bench without risers. The risers also helps with cleaning.
Thanks for the tip, Michael, love learning from other's experiences. Looking at the picture, it appears they come mounted on little rubber feet. I'm assuming I pull those, and use corresponding bolts through the table to hold it down?