PDA

View Full Version : this question is directed to all the manual arts teachers

Brian Ashton
05-07-2016, 5:29 AM
Monday I am doing my final prac to become a teacher. My official areas are biology and sciences but I've been able to convince the school to let me teach 3 out of the 4 subject areas in manual arts. I've had the opportunity to observe manual arts classes but not teach... Any words of wisdom you want to impart?

Other than don't let them cut thier fingers off.

Al Launier
05-07-2016, 7:25 AM
Ingrain safety into your students.
Enjoy your profesion, have them plan their projects ahead enjoy their endeavors!
Best of luck &

Wayne Lomman
05-07-2016, 8:20 AM
Set projects that teach a wide range of the basics. There are tasks I do where the only formal training I ever received was manual arts at school in the early 1970's. Thanks, John Dose!

Bruce Wrenn
05-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Be prepared as usually you have two types of students. Ones that want to be there and the ones that the administration couldn't figure any where else to put them. The second group is the larger challenge, but also the most rewarding. On the first two weeks of school, call each and every parent and invite them to drop in ANYTIME. I had one student whose father thought it was a joke, as his son was a senior, and he had never heard from a teacher unless there was a problem. I kept my back door unlocked so parents could just drop in without having to go thru front office. Remember that safety is no accident. ALWAYS wear eye protection while in shop area. Not just for your class, but INSIST that any member of administration do the same.