PDA

View Full Version : Using Webbing to create sawhorse hinge

John Bullock
05-07-2016, 4:14 AM
In watching Ron Paulk's blog on creating saw horses, he uses webbing to create an easy inexpense hinge for the two sides of a saw horse. I have some similar applications and rather than using metal hinges, I am considering using 2 inch wide webbing similar to seat belt webbing. I can obtain nylon seat belt webbing new in widths of 2 inches. I have located it for $10.00 for 30 ft of webbing brand new on the roll. Ron talks about using a butane soldering iron to cut the webbing. Has anyone used nylon 2 inch webbing as a hinge? Has anyone used a butane soldering iron to reliably cut webbing? Most of the references I see on Amazon seem to indicate that butane soldering torches have very limited lives and the units cost approximately $40 for a typical unit that may only last 2-3 months. Has anyone found an effective reliable unit for cutting webbing? What material have you used for the webbing you used, nylon, propylene, polypropylene, etc. Nylon has a strength of up to 4000 pounds in a 2 inch width as seems more than strong enough.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Retired and on a budget.....

Randy Viellenave
05-08-2016, 7:59 PM
I used seat belts to tie pipe to the wall mounted rack in a truck a long time ago so it would be simple to release and adjust. I cut the webbing with scissors, used a lighter to keep the end from fraying, then took them to a seamstress and had her triple up the end about 1.5" and sew it flat. I then drilled a hole through them and bolted them above and below. Seems to me a similar process would make a good hinge attachment.

Jamie Buxton
05-08-2016, 8:18 PM
Why not just use good ol' metal hinges instead of re-inventing the wheel?

However, if you must cut woven plastic webbing, a hot knife works nicely. It cuts the webbing and melts it all together so it doesn't have loose ends. I've seen them in use in outdoor-adventure stores (eg REI), used for cutting plastic rope and plastic webbing. You can make your own from a soldering gun.

John C Bush
05-08-2016, 9:24 PM
Tips for cutting/searing synthetic fibers are availaible for soldering irons--mine is a Weller I think-- works great for polypro rope, etc.

Frederick Skelly
05-08-2016, 9:48 PM
John, have you considered just building knock down type horses? No hinges. Take them apart to store flat. Made out of plywood. I'd expect a good set of knock downs, made with well-fit joints and temporarily held together with dowels or wedges to be a little more stable than web hinges too. And you don't have to buy webbing, a torch or hinges. Just a thought, in case lower low-cost matters.

Joe O'Connor
05-09-2016, 7:03 AM
I made the paulk workbench and two sawhorses, I used an old ratchet strap for the webbing. I cut it with scissors and burnt the ends with a lighter. I attached the strap with 1/4 inch crown staples. Going on three years of heavy use.