PDA

View Full Version : Thanks John K Jordan - My First Rocking Horse

Jim Koepke
05-06-2016, 9:43 PM
In a thread about a Tote Stool, meant to sound like Toad Stool, John K Jordan posted plans for a rocking horse:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242466-Tote-Stool&p=2548452#post2548452

Too good to pass up so here is my first attempt to take to market:

Learned a few things about making a rocking horse. One of my future builds will be documented when a few of the kinks are worked out.

I think a way to lay out a large ellipse will be put into use on the next set of rockers.

Thanks again John for posting those plans. They helped me get off my duff for something I have been wanting to build for a long time.

jtk

jtk

Frederick Skelly
05-07-2016, 7:23 AM
Delightful! Some little guy or gal is going to love that horse! Are your grandchildren small enough for it, or will it go to the farmers' market for sale?

Fred

george wilson
05-07-2016, 8:42 AM
While I was teaching at Penland Craft school,I built a rocking COW for my little daughter. She was terrified of it!!

Jim Koepke
05-07-2016, 9:00 AM
Fred, Sadly all my grandchildren are either getting a bit big for this one or all the way across the country in Maryland.

George, Other animal shapes have occurred to me. Tigers and geese come to mind. Motorcycles and rocket ships have also been in my thoughts.

My thoughts on leaving unfinished is for the parents and child to do it together as a bonding experience.

jtk

Mike Cherry
05-07-2016, 9:25 AM
That looks really cool Jim, got me thinking about doing one some day.

Mel Fulks
05-07-2016, 11:43 AM
I like it,but think it needs a tail. Maybe with a friction swivel for full stop, slow , and "they're shootin' at us!".
George, as a child I was quite disturbed by images of cows jumping over the moon ,and there were a lot of them then.
Asked adults about them but never got a soothing answer..... did your cleverly crafted cow by any chance have crescent moon rockers?

Stew Denton
05-07-2016, 1:38 PM
Jim,

I definitely really like it. I may have to figure out how I can work on one for my grandkids. Need to figure out room to work on it. It is a beautiful rocking horse, and I would bet it will sell well. Grandparents will definitely go for it I think. The trouble with grandkids is they grow up too fast.

Stew

george wilson
05-07-2016, 3:02 PM
No crescent rockers.I turned the body a,head and legs on the wood lathe. It really did look like a cow,or sort of a cartoon of one,as I planned. Someone eventually painted it purple after my daughter refused to ride it. It sat about in the wood shop for a long time. I don't know what ever became of it.

Mel Fulks
05-07-2016, 4:37 PM
Thanks, George. Sounds like ANOTHER one has gone moon jumping. But could turn up on Antiques Road Show and I'm betting the owner will be happy.

george wilson
05-07-2016, 6:16 PM
Perhaps with a repaint over that hippie paint job someone put on!!