PDA

View Full Version : New York City Travel Recommendations

BOB OLINGER
05-05-2016, 12:33 PM
My wife and I might take a 3-4 day trip to the big city just to do some sight seeing and make a Yankees game. Do any of you have recommendations for tourist packages (such as Greyline tours)? We'd like some flexibility but also some expertise as far as bus tours. Thanks in advance.

Von Bickley
05-05-2016, 4:37 PM
I have been to New York City and I have made myself a promise, I will NEVER go back. There are so many great places to visit in the US.

If they ever want to give the US an enema, they will go to NYC.......

Jay Nossen
05-05-2016, 4:51 PM
Never did a bus tour so can't help there, but as a woodworker, I highly suggest seeing the Frick Collection (http://www.frick.org/). The art work is pretty nice, but everytime I go, I'm distracted by the beautiful wood work inside (example http://www.frick.org/visit/virtual_tour/library). What type of things are you looking to do other than the baseball game?

Frederick Skelly
05-05-2016, 5:44 PM
Be sure to see Central Park (by day only). If you like music, there's a small portion of the park dedicted to John Lennon by his wife, called "Strawberry Fields". If you like radio control models, there's also ponds in the park where people run radio controlled sailboats.

If you like Italian food, go to Little Italy.

Frederick Skelly
05-05-2016, 5:46 PM

Oddly enough Von, I know an old sailor who swears it would be Norfolk VA, not NYC. :D

Rich Riddle
05-05-2016, 6:07 PM
Grey Line offers the most bus tours which means you can jump on and off far more frequently. That said, if you take a tour, get the tickets by the main stop. You can barter down the price for the tours with the touts. Do you plan to stay in Manhattan (which they call the city)? Do you want tourist stuff or not quite the tourist events? Do you like refined taste or more basic things. It matters with the opera, plays, etc. I always think the train station is a nice place. It has Madison Square Garden above it. Don't drive into the city. Tell a little of what you like and I can offer good suggestions.

Mel Fulks
05-05-2016, 6:32 PM
Only been a tourist there once. Love the Empire State Building. Not just a tall building ,a heroic building with large medals in lobby to the trades that built it. Makes all of the worst examples of post modernism look not only ugly but silly.

Peter Kelly
05-05-2016, 8:13 PM
My wife and I might take a 3-4 day trip to the big city just to do some sight seeing and make a Yankees game. Do any of you have recommendations for tourist packages (such as Greyline tours)? We'd like some flexibility but also some expertise as far as bus tours. Thanks in advance.Haven't yet done it but I've always thought it'd be pretty cool to take the Circle Line boat up to Bear Mountain: https://www.circleline42.com/cruises-and-schedules/bear-mountain-cruises

If not that, a cruise around the city (https://www.circleline42.com/cruises-and-schedules/best-of-nyc-cruise/) is a pretty cool way to see it. I see those Gray Line busses a lot and sitting in traffic on one doesn't look all that super fun.

I'd also advise you to avoid the Bronx and head out to Citi Field instead :).

Peter Kelly
05-05-2016, 8:24 PM
I always think the train station is a nice place. It has Madison Square Garden above it.You're either joking or thinking of Grand Central. I'd only use the term "unfortunate" to describe Penn Station.

dennis thompson
05-05-2016, 8:50 PM
Take a round trip ride on the Staten Island ferry. It's free and you get great views of the Statue of Liberty and the New York skyline. It's about an hour round trip.

Rich Riddle
05-05-2016, 9:05 PM
You're either joking or thinking of Grand Central. I'd only use the term "unfortunate" to describe Penn Station.
You are correct, and I was thinking of Grand Central. They have a seafood restaurant in the middle which is a bit costly but has decent food.

Peter Kelly
05-05-2016, 9:32 PM
You are correct, and I was thinking of Grand Central. They have a seafood restaurant in the middle which is a bit costly but has decent food.http://www.oysterbarny.com

The Saloon there is quite possibly my favorite place in the city. Highly recommended!

Stan Calow
05-06-2016, 10:07 AM
I imagine a bus tour as being stuck in traffic for hours. We found the subway to be easy and safe to use, and got around to all the things we wanted to see on our own. Is the Garrett Wade woodworking store still open?

Mike Null
05-06-2016, 11:02 AM
I love NYC and used to have to travel there twice a month. There are so many great things to see. The Frick has been mentioned but if you're an art lover The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the world's great museums and the Guggenheim is a must see. The Staten Island Ferry used to cost a nickel when I first traveled to NYC. Now it is free and, I suspect, the world's greatest travel bargain.

I concur with those who have suggested the subway. I wasn't thrilled with the boat ride around the island coupled with the fact that they turned around between the 70's and 80's as the boat was sometimes used for target practice as they got nearer to Harlem.

Restaurants are expensive but you must experience NY deli's. Oh yes, theater tickets can be bought at a discount the day of the performance and if you haven't seen a B'way show it's a must.

The enema bottle goes to Secaucus, NJ.

Wade Lippman
05-06-2016, 11:15 AM
I have been to New York City and I have made myself a promise, I will NEVER go back. There are so many great places to visit in the US.

I guess they will just have to get by without you.

I went there 2 years ago for the first time in 30 years. Wonderful city. My wife has been back twice with her SIL (she has two nieces there...) and they have loved it.
I recommend taking a big comprehensive Grey Line tour and then going back places if you like.
We went up Rockefeller Center, my wife later went up the World Trade Center; said they were both worthwhile.
See a play, have a great time.

Dave Zellers
05-06-2016, 1:09 PM
See a play, have a great time.

INDEED!

We saw Wicked on Broadway and the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center. Superb.

Peter Kelly
05-06-2016, 1:30 PM
Is the Garrett Wade woodworking store still open?Sadly, the retail store that was at Spring & 6th Ave closed when Garrett Wade left the city. Tools for Working Wood out in Red Hook is worth looking at if you're into their hand tools but it's considerably less convenient to get to.

Roger Feeley
05-06-2016, 2:50 PM
Go north to Fort Tryon park and catch a meal that the restaurant in the park. It will serve as a much needed respite from the hustle and bustle.