PDA

View Full Version : Screw Chuck

W.C. Turner
09-19-2005, 2:31 PM
Hi,

I recently tried the screwcenter, that came with my Vicmarc VM120 chuck, for the first time. Judging from the gall marks, on the screw base, where it fits in the chuck jaws, it did some spinning around while turning.

Anyone else tried the screw center in your chuck?

What are you supposed to do, really crank down, on the hex key when tightening?

How do you keep the screw from spinning while in use?

Thanks,
W.C

Jim Becker
09-19-2005, 6:38 PM
Yes, I've use my screw center a number of times for roughing out bowls on large blanks. (Oneway for both the chuck and the screw) I had no issues with it not performing as expected and it did not rotate in the chuck...it can't as the part that interlocks with the jaws is square and becomes captive.

W.C. Turner
09-20-2005, 1:31 AM
I looked at the oneway chucks screw, after I had posted, & saw the lugs that they have to prevent any twist. But, vicmarc has a flange, that sets behind the jaws, to hold it in the chuck. The part of the base, that fits in the jaws, is smooth. Take a look, at the Packard Woodworks catalog, they show a good photo of the Vicmarc screw, pg. 15 of my spring catalog.

Jim Becker
09-20-2005, 8:51 AM
I guess the answer is that you have to "really crank down, on the hex key when tightening"... ;) Seriously, it should at least stay snug until you get the blank tightened up all the way to the jaws which provide additional support and friction. Further, you should never use one of these without the tailstock/live center being engaged and that should also keep it from "unscrewing" while you rough the bottom of your piece. Vicmark's designs tend to offer a lot of "smooth" surfaces unlike OneWay where most things are seriated or otherwise have "teeth".