PDA

View Full Version : New lathe Belt Squeal?

Steve Russell tucker
05-04-2016, 5:40 PM
Hello All , I recently picked up a delta 46-701 lathe I know the gentleman I got it from changed the belt a few days before I picked it up and I love it I do , but it makes this squealing noise like the belt is almost to tight is the best way i can describe it . My questions ...will that just stop with time ? & is there anything I can do to fix it now? it seems to only happen at the lowest speed and somewhat goes away if I increase the speed any input would be welcome and appreciated .
Thanks again ,
S.

daryl moses
05-04-2016, 7:18 PM
Are you sure the belt is not loose?
Not familiar with that particular lathe but it should be easy to adjust the belt tension. On most of my tools that use a belt I like about a quarter inch deflection in the belt.

Leo Van Der Loo
05-04-2016, 8:51 PM
That is the lathe with the cheap reeves drive that cause all kinds of problems, and where the replacement parts for the troublesome drive are not available anymore, I would not touch tat lathe with a 10 foot pole, but you decide, it is your money.

Steve Russell tucker
05-04-2016, 9:14 PM
Yes Sir, that's it but It was almost a gift really and a huge step up from the craftsman tube style lathe I started with ,It operates perfectly its just the noise that bugs me ,I wasn't sure if anyone else had that problem I will crack it open and see if its a loose belt I thought it was too tight maybe but Im pretty new at this I su[ppose anything can happen :) Thank you both for the insight

Doug Ladendorf
05-04-2016, 10:19 PM
Steve, I had the 14" version and with some care it will be a fine lathe. You might try paraffin wax on the flat part of the pulleys where the belt touches. I used Dri-slide (dry moly/graphite lube) spray on the Reeves drive and that seemed to help. Move the speed slowly and always bring it to low speed before stopping.

Doug

Steve Russell tucker
05-04-2016, 10:54 PM
I really do like the lathe its a lot better than my first one for sure:) and we all started some where right! I will do the wax thing right now Mr. Ladendorf Thank you I wasn't aware of the low speed before shut off thing I will do that from now on .Thank you again