PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Anchor/Jernbolaget handplanes?

Hasin Haroon
05-04-2016, 2:48 PM
Hi All,

I recently came across a number of Anchor handplanes, a couple no. 7's and a no. 5, made in Sweden according to the bed. Two of these have 'jernbolaget' on the handles, and all of them have eskilstuna swedish steel. I haven't gotten around to fettling yet, but from what I see they look to be well made tools, as good as pre-war Baileys. Anyone in the creek have experience or thoughts on the Anchor line?

Jim Koepke
05-04-2016, 3:00 PM
Howdy Hasin,

Any chance for pictures?

jtk

Hasin Haroon
05-04-2016, 3:50 PM
Hey Jim! I'll post some pictures later today.

Lasse Hilbrandt
05-04-2016, 4:41 PM
There used to be several swedish makers of Bailey style handplanes and from what I heard the Anchor which is the international name of Jernbolaget are the ones which are best made. At the moment Im looking for a no.3. I misser one at an auction the other day because of lack of internet since I moved to Norway

Ray Selinger
05-04-2016, 5:30 PM
On my rusthunt at the fleamarket today I found an Anchor brand #6 plane for $15. Anchor brand is Jermbolaget 's easy to pronounce brand name . They were one of Sweden's biggest toolmakers in Ekilstuna. I was gleefully thinking of a E.A.Berg quality level of plane blade. Imagine my disappointment when I got it home and I found a modern aftermarket English Stanley blade installed. The plane is good looking, the medium green contrasts nicely with the clear finished beech. Outside of the Anchor where Bailey would be, and the Made In Sweden where Made In USA would be ,and Anchor on it's kidney holed lever cap instead of Stanley, it's like any other #6. I found a 1952 Record #6 a few weeks back. It's blue and rosewood is a little classier. The Anchor has fairly flat chipbreaker, which I would question it's usefulness. . The general details are the same as any Stanley plane from the '30s onward. It is a clone. The frog face has the same raised ribs to cut down on friction. The only difference in the lever cap is the name and it's even in red. The machining on the frog beds shows a bit of carelessness, over cutting . The only other thing of interest is the sticker on the blade, Woolco , I think it says $2.32?? Looking at the attempt at sharpening on this iron, I think when it dulled, he just bought a new iron. Damm. The varnish on the knob and tote is flacking. Some of horn on the tote is broken off. The Beech didn't do as well the hardwood or Rosewood on my other plane tote horns. Generally in good shape, needing wood refinishing, and a Lee Valley blade and cap iron set. It's also going to need some flattening, I see light. I was able to date the green and light wood from late'40s, early '50s thanks to a posting by Wascana_Rob on Canadian Woodworking.

The Record from the same era is a better plane both in design and execution . It's Rosewood and blue. The frog has the flat face of a '20s Stanley it was cloned from. This greater support would deaden chatter but increase depth adjusting friction. The lever cap has the plain key hole. The machining on the Record is of higher quality, it was flat and square. The frog beds showed care.Since it was in excellent shape, I only sharpened the blade and polished the chipbreaker. This one cost $20

From my limited experience, these planes are much better than the New Britain Works Stanleys of this post war era.
Oh well, Anchor #6 is a nice corrugated plane , a candidate for a LV blade and cap iron.

Hasin Haroon
05-05-2016, 12:47 AM
As promised, here are some photos...

Jim Koepke
05-05-2016, 2:48 AM
As promised, here are some photos...

Thanks for posting the images.

If it weren't for the name in the casting and the lateral lever those would look pretty much like a Stanley/Bailey.

jtk

Mike Cherry
05-05-2016, 7:32 AM
Thanks for posting the images.

If it weren't for the name in the casting and the lateral lever those would look pretty much like a Stanley/Bailey.

jtk

Totally agree. If the steel in the planes are anything like the Swedish Pfeil carving tool steel, you might have a real solid worker.

Lasse Hilbrandt
05-05-2016, 8:11 AM
Pfeil is from Switzerland not Sweden I believe. Pfeil means arrow by the way.

Mike Cherry
05-05-2016, 8:46 AM
Pfeil is from Switzerland not Sweden I believe. Pfeil means arrow by the way.
Ahh you are correct sir, whered I put my glasses!

Hasin Haroon
05-05-2016, 9:35 AM
Thanks everyone. I have yet to clean them up and show them some wood, as you can probably tell. Sometime this week....or next...

Ray Selinger
05-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Black with red coloured wood, pressed steel yoke, and kidney shaped screw slot on the lever cap would date them between 1955 and 1960. If you find that posting on Canadian Woodworking that gives the details, that's where I got some of my information from, a poster from Europe said the blades were much harder than either American or English plane irons. Great score.

Tomi Rosso
05-06-2016, 2:57 AM
Those are good planes. That's too bad original Jernbolaget cutter is missing, but it's probably used to end. Mine is also really short stub.

I have same info what Ray gives you before that I have time to do so. If I have understood right, first Anchor planes are from 40's. Black body, key-hole lever cap, casted yoke and big anchor text in lever cap.

Green planes with kidney-hole lever cap, stamped yoke and smaller anchor text are from about from 50 to 55. And those Rays given info are type from 55 to 60, or then when company was bought.

Hasin Haroon
05-06-2016, 1:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Tomi, the planes all have the original Jernbolaget blades, the stamp just didnt show up in the photos. All of them have black beds, the one no. 7 had a keyhole shaped lever cap and no marking on the handles so I take it that one is probably early 40's. The other two have kidney holes and marked handles, so I think probably late 40's. I will share more photos once I get around to cleaning them up.

Hasin Haroon
05-06-2016, 3:36 PM
Here is some more information on the Anchor line of planes:
http://www.leevalley.com/us/newsletters/woodworking/3/1/whatisit.htm

Ray Selinger
05-06-2016, 11:26 PM
My green #6 has a cast yoke with longish finger. A good fit for a thicker blade. That would place it early in the production run. About the same age as me, chuckle, so it must be good.