PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Engraver For Small Products

Steven Pinho
05-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Hey guys,

I have a custom product made from exotic hard woods.
My product is only 1" X 3" So I really only need a small desktop engraver/etcher for this.

Also I don't need to do any cutting. I just need something powerful enough to engrave down 1mm or 2 on hard wood.
The simple logo I wanna create is about 15x10mm.

What do you guys suggest I invest in?
Any feedback or suggestions welcome!

Martin Boekers
05-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Doing graphics and/or text?

Steven Pinho
05-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Both

http://s32.postimg.org/os13e5t9d/B2_Psmal2l.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/os13e5t9d/)

http://postimg.org/image/os13e5t9d/ (http://postimg.org/image/dmu7taixt/)

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Is this a one-shot deal where everything gets the same logo, like a artist's signature on the back?
If so, I'd probably just go with a custom branding iron or stamp.

Martin Boekers
05-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Are they all saying the same thing? If so you may check into a "branding iron" instead.

You may check with the wood working forum here as some there make "Signature tokens" to put on their work.

Lasers can be a costly investment, even on the lower end. Plus all the support, computer, software etc for small pieces.

Steven Pinho
05-04-2016, 12:18 PM
I already thought of that and bought a custom branding Iron.. Doesn't show up on my exotic dark wood pieces. Waste of 350$ =(

Steven Pinho
05-04-2016, 12:19 PM
I will definitely need an engraver for this.

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2016, 1:00 PM
I already thought of that and bought a custom branding Iron.. Doesn't show up on my exotic dark wood pieces. Waste of 350$ =(You may have the same problem with the engraving unless you're willing to do some sort of color-fill afterward.

Does the logo have to be integral to the piece? Something I've done with stuff too big to fit in the laser is engrave signatures/logos on pieces of veneer and glue them on. (Or if I'm feeling really lazy, I'll use veneer with pressure-sensitive adhesive already applied, AKA "peel-and-stick".) Just have a local engraver run off whole sheets of them and use them as needed.

Bill George
05-04-2016, 1:01 PM
How do you know a laser / engraver would make a mark you could see on the dark wood? Did you try paint filling or gold paint filling the one you have?

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2016, 1:07 PM
I will definitely need an engraver for this.You're looking at several thousand dollars minimum for a laser. If that's really all you're going to use it for, I just can't see it being cost-effective.

A very small CNC router, something using a Dremel or similar as the spindle, would probably work. But it's also either expensive to buy or time-consuming to build.

Steven Pinho
05-04-2016, 2:34 PM
I'm going to fill it in with acrylic paint after.

Steven Pinho
05-04-2016, 2:36 PM
Several Thousand? Even if I just want something small? Seems like alo.. I was willing to pay around $1000 or less.

Clark Pace
05-04-2016, 2:58 PM
Doing graphics and/or text?

You forgot glowforge!!!

Sorry I would not resist!

Clark Pace
05-04-2016, 3:04 PM
What does your logo look like. What kind of detail? And how many. I made stencil / decal on my vinyl machine. The customer stuck them on the wood and sprayed. Let dry and then removed the decal.

Vinyl machines start at only $200.00

Steven Pinho
05-04-2016, 3:14 PM
My logo is attached up top. Let me know that may be a way to go.

Steven Pinho
05-04-2016, 3:37 PM
Im very close to just buying this..

ebaydotcom/itm/High-Precise-40W-CO2-USB-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Wood-Cutter

Ross Moshinsky
05-04-2016, 3:46 PM

ebaydotcom/itm/High-Precise-40W-CO2-USB-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Wood-Cutter-/200902245694?hash=item2ec6b4fd3e:g:nrUAAOSw2s1U0J0 2[/URL]

That place sells laser engravers along with frozen drink dispensers. Not the best vendor.

I'd recommend finding a local engraver to work with.

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2016, 3:47 PM

http://wwwdotebaydotcom/itm/High-Precise-40W-CO2-USB-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Wood-Cutter-/200902245694?hash=item2ec6b4fd3e:g:nrUAAOSw2s1U0J0 2As the saying goes, if something seems to good to be true, it probably is.

I'm under the impression you're looking for a turn-key solution, not an additional full-time hobby.

Bill George
05-04-2016, 4:33 PM
Ditto, and before you go off on we don't like cheap Chinese lasers on this Forum and this is about as cheap as you can get. Take some time and do some research here and you will find all kinds of posts about "I just got this laser off eBay" and then add it does not even fire or move. In fact there is an ongoing Thread started here about a week ago. You will purchase then will be on here wanting advice and troubleshooting tips. then get mad when you read the answers.... and not come back.
Lightobject dot com sells upgrade kits for the K40 prices start at about $500 or so, AutomationTechnologiesInc dot com sells info and support for the K40 machine your going to buy for $50 per hour.

Bottom line you can get a small decent non-eBay machine for around $2500 - $3000. Rabbit laser USA sells good Chinese machines with support for.... $6000 on up depending on the size. Used Made in USA or other name brand machines start at maybe $5000 up to $12000 + . OR like has been suggested here find a local guy with a laser machine and pay him to do your work.

Travis Reese
05-04-2016, 4:47 PM
Steve, where are you located?

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-04-2016, 6:18 PM

ebay.com/itm/High-Precise-40W-CO2-USB-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Wood-Cutter-

I would be very cautious from buying from an ad like that. A 40W laser for $364 and CorelDraw is included? After looking at their negative reviews, that is not a vendor I would purchase from and expect the item to arrive in working condition.

Bert Kemp
05-04-2016, 6:29 PM
well basically a laser is just a glorified branding iron for what you want. Al tho you could vector engrave and then color fill so it would stand out. Most any engraving on dark wood will need something more to make it stand out.

Doug Griffith
05-04-2016, 7:53 PM
I've engraved quite a few exotic hardwoods. Note that the grain will engrave at different depths depending on density. Some areas may not engrave well at all. Zebra wood for example engraves well in the light areas and bad in the dark areas. Some woods also engrave and leave an oily mess. A mechanical engraver will give more predictable results. How about trying your branding iron mounted in a press. Go deep, seal, then color fill.

Clark Pace
05-04-2016, 9:55 PM
My logo is attached up top. Let me know that may be a way to go.

That logo should be fine. If you are only doing like 10-20 at time a vinyl machine should be a good fit.

You use a darker stain or what I do is spray paint.

Here is a photo of a sign I did. I did this with my vinyl paint method.336931

Steven Pinho
05-05-2016, 1:18 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Lee DeRaud
05-05-2016, 1:27 PM
That logo should be fine. If you are only doing like 10-20 at time a vinyl machine should be a good fit.

You use a darker stain or what I do is spray paint.You do realize he's talking 10x15mm, not inches?