PDA

View Full Version : Antique Store Tenon Saw

Luke Dupont
05-03-2016, 3:11 PM
I've never used a traditional English/American Tenon or Dovetail saw before, so when I saw this at an antique store for $10, I picked it up:

Anyone know what brand / quality saw this might be? I can barely make out on the plate, "______NIA SAW CO___". Wanted to post a picture asking before I go and clean the plate up and remove the last remaining bit of the logo.

I would imagine it isn't that old, or that great of quality necessarily, given the very simple look of it. But I guess it's a good option for a rip-sharpened tenon saw at $10?

It came with too much set, and needed sharpening. I did reduce the set some with a hammer and sharpened it, and it performs better now, but it looks like it definitely needs to be jointed. I don't have much experience with saw sharpening, so this is a learning experience!

The rake on the teeth is not very steep. It was originally about halfway between 90 and a "peg" tooth. I sharpened it with a little more rake, but I didn't go to 90 degrees. Maybe I should before I joint it?

The plate seems a tad on the thick side, but then I don't have experience with western style tenon saws.

Here are few more pictures (of the logo, and handle):

By the way, even though it's not quite tuned up all the way yet, I'm quite enjoying this style of saw. The ergonomics of it make it much easier to keep square, in my opinion, than either my in-line Japanese saws, or my bow saws (as much as I like those as well!)

george wilson
05-03-2016, 3:20 PM
I think you paid retail for that.

Brent Cutshall
05-03-2016, 8:05 PM
It's a Pennsylvania saw I'll bet. I got a Disston that looks exactly like that one. Happy sawing, I'll be back with more info later.

steven c newman
05-03-2016, 8:30 PM
Pennsylvannia Saw Corp. Was a secondary line of Disston. I have a 20" long mitrebox saw from them.
yard sale find last year....$1.

Warren Mickley
05-03-2016, 9:00 PM
I bought mine new in 1976 for $4.50 and have used it ever since. Around 1981 I put a handle from an early 20th century saw on it and I made an 18th century handle in 2014. The clumsy handle is the saw's weakness; otherwise the saw is as good as the sharpening.

Pennsylvania Saw Corporation was based in York, Pennsylvania; I don't think it was ever connected with Disston, but it was bought by Stanley in 1979. My etch says: Pennsylvania Saw Corporation, York Penna. USA, No. 78, Warranted Tempered Spring Steel.

Brent Cutshall
05-03-2016, 9:16 PM
Yeah, like Warren said it's a Pennsylvania No.78. Now see, Steven is my kind of guy always selflessly posting pictures of his saws for the benefit of others. Bless you Steven, BLESS YOU!:p