PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Laser engraved Gift?

Bill George
05-02-2016, 5:44 PM
My over achieving wonderful granddaughter is graduating from High School this month. Besides giving her money to buy the Apple MacBook computer she wants I would like to give her a laser personalized something like a necklace, bracelet, nice I don't mine spending a little cash. Suggestions? I have Cermark or Thermark and a ULS 50 watt laser.

Gary Hair
05-02-2016, 5:57 PM
Why not personalize the MacBook?

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-02-2016, 6:18 PM
How about a nice wood box where she can keep mementos or bracelets in it for the next 60 years? Perhaps just engrave her first name on it so if she marries and changes her name, the box won't become outdated.

Braden Todd
05-02-2016, 8:54 PM
I like Gary's idea, engrave the MacBook.

Bert Kemp
05-02-2016, 9:10 PM
Plus 1 on a box. I made boxes for my daughter and granddaughter and they love them

How about a nice wood box where she can keep mementos or bracelets in it for the next 60 years? Perhaps just engrave her first name on it so if she marries and changes her name, the box won't become outdated.

David Somers
05-02-2016, 9:59 PM
Hmmm. I like the box idea but might go a step further. I assume she will go off to school or to find a job somewhere in the relatively near future. So how about using that laser to make a set of lovely, delicate little Christmas ornaments for when she has her first tree? And a personalized box to keep them in?

Or, get some Mother of Pearl and use the laser to make her a lovely necklace or earings? A few of our members do this with their lasers and their efforts have been delicate and lovely.

Pretty fun!! Anything you come up with will be a kick to give her Bill!!! Congrats to her and you too!

Mike Null
05-03-2016, 7:07 AM
I've given homemade jewelry boxes to all the women in my family and they are much appreciated. The engraving on mine is minimal--just name and date on the bottom.

Martin Boekers
05-04-2016, 12:33 PM
JDS has some nice portfolios/notebooks.

William Adams
05-04-2016, 12:36 PM
A fountain pen is a traditional graduation gift --- turn one and laser engrave it and present it in a laser-engraved box?

Kev Williams
05-04-2016, 4:09 PM
A friend of mine and his kids has had my engraving in their homes since the 1980's--

He had me engrave full size replica's of all his kids's diploma's, high school and college, on black trophy brass, which he mounted to wood plaques he made.
In the old days this meant diamond etched plates, with all signatures and state seals hand digitized by mouse, until Casmate thankfully came along! ;)

His youngest daughter's plaque was one of the first things I ever did on my new-to-me at the time 25w ULS.

Anyway, they've all always considered them as very special mementos, they hang in their living rooms, not collecting dust in a closet...

I've yet to do an all-wood diploma, and I've always thought lasering one in relief, with signatures, seals and text standing proud would just look fantastic!

:)

Bill George
05-08-2016, 9:43 PM
First thank you for all the suggestions. I ended up getting a name brand very nice jewelry box on eBay from a seller in Vermont. The plan is to laser engrave her first name, in script on the lid, leaving room for future engraving. I think she will Love it, thanks again.