PDA

View Full Version : iPhone GPS tracker app?

Erik Loza
05-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Anyone out there recommend/not recommend any iOS apps for this type of thing. I'm expecting some travel to pretty rural areas of TX over the next few months and my wife (myself, as well) has expressed interest in my phone having an app so that she can monitor where I or where my vehicle is during these road trips. I understand that coverage will probably affect it but if there was some app that would let her ping my phone for a location that anyone could recommend, that would be great. "FollowMee" is the first Google hit I find but sort of hoping for some actual feedback. Thanks in advance.

Erik

David L Morse
05-02-2016, 12:42 PM
If she has an iPhone then the "Find Friends" app that comes with iOS will do that.

To find you from a browser try the "Find My Phone" function that's also built in. She'll need access to your iCloud account.

roger wiegand
05-02-2016, 1:14 PM
Register the phone with "find my iphone" and grant her permission to see your phone. Works from any browser. Great when you lose your phone as well!

Erik Loza
05-02-2016, 2:13 PM
You know, I have that but somehow thought it was only for nearby locations. Thanks for the tip.

Erik

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-02-2016, 6:33 PM
My LOML travels for work. We have used the Find Friends app since the iphone 4S came out. Even if one of us is in a dead zone, once we have a wi-fi connection, the Find Friends app seems to be able to locate us in the correct location. It also worked when when my Sweetheart was out of the country in Canada and Mexico. While we don't do it, there is a capability to turn off the location. It has also come in handy when we are meeting somewhere (such as airport) and the person already at the destination can easily find out how far away the other is instead of trying to text and drive.

Jim Becker
05-02-2016, 9:27 PM
The "Find My iPhone" app is pretty good when it comes to approximate location...when my younger lost her's several years ago while we were on vacation, I was able to track it to the exact street in North Carolina where the "finder" had it...and that was from here in PA. You'll just need to grant your lovely access to your iCloud account so she can use it to track you...or at least your phone. :D

Erik Loza
05-03-2016, 9:11 AM
Thanks, fellas. I'm going to give the Find my Phone a shot and see how it does. I have no probelm sharing iCloud with her, though she probably will hate all the heavy metal on my iTunes playlist :).

Erik

Jim Becker
05-06-2016, 8:42 PM
You two don't need to "share the account"...she just needs your credentials to log into the Find My iPhone app to track your device. Otherwise, she can just do her own thing and your tunes are safe. :)