PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday

Rich Stewart
09-19-2005, 9:57 AM
Hi guys, Managed to get some time in on Sunday. I saw a little...uh...vase type thing in a hollow form gallery and wanted to try something like it. I am getting the hang of this new chuck. When I switch ends or remove the piece from the chuck I have to mess with it for a while to get it running true again. Takes a few minutes usually but I can get. This one pic shows how far off it is. This ...uh... whatever it is, is catalpa wood that I got from ebay. 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 X 7 is what I started out with because I thought there would be a waste block on each end. Not as much as I thought so i ended up with two little...uh...vase type things. The piece I got from ebay was 35"lng so I got more. I have to buy most of my wood because I live in a development and we dont have a big yard and wifey dont want a bunch of wood laying around drying. That and the fact my patience is like zero. I wanna turn NOW!!! Anyway, here is what I got out of it. I did that little...uh...wine glass looking thing out of maple 2x2. Didn't have a chuck at the time so the hole is drilled with forstner bit. The larger bowl in the back was a cut off of three oakboards glued together by a friend who was making a engine stand for an old antique engine he has. I made a couple of those little candle things for a girl at work birthday now they all want some. Candle holders that is. and the last pic is of my workshop when it is all cleaned up and put away. Wifey hates it. Hahaha

Carole Valentine
09-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Rich, try this: before you remove a piece from the chuck, take a pencil and mark the location of jaw#1 on the tenon. Then when you you put it back, you can be sure you have it in the same orientation as when you you first mounted it.

Lee DeRaud
09-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Ok, you win: I'll stop complaining about how small my shop is.:D :cool: :eek:

Rich Stewart
09-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Carol, That sounds so much like common sense. No wonder I didn't think of it. I loved your collared piece. How long have you been doing this? You seen John Hart yet?

Lee, In case you missed it, here is my workshop set up.

Lee DeRaud
09-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Lee, In case you missed it, here is my workshop set up.Well, you certainly beat me on headroom.:D

Carole Valentine
09-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Rich, I have been turing about 9 months (minus July and August when it was so blasted hot!) on a Jet Mini.
And no, I have not been able to find out anything about John. Worries me.

Mark Cothren
09-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the pictures! Nice work you have to show there!

Ernie Nyvall
09-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Nice work Rich. Keepem coming.

Ernie