PDA

View Full Version : How Much Junk E-Mail do You Receive?

Rich Riddle
05-02-2016, 9:03 AM
I am getting dozens of junk e-mails a day and am wondering if you folks with the same e-mail address for years find the same thing happening?

Wayne Lomman
05-02-2016, 9:20 AM
Rich, I never do but the wife gets tons of it. The difference as far as I can tell is that she has been secretary for a breed society for years and gets her email address in all sorts of publications whereas I never have reason to put mine out much. The wife hasn't figured out how to stop it either.

Jim Becker
05-02-2016, 9:24 AM
There is "junk" email (solicitations) and there is "nefarious" email that may or may not appear to be the same thing. The former is merely from list sharing in most cases; the latter is often from "stolen" contacts via infected machines. Either my email provider or my email client catch most of these things, but there has been a huge up-tick in the latter type of email lately and what's most scary is that most of them are carrying "ransomware" at this point. Unfortunately, this is the nature of the beast and we all must take care about what we do when unsolicited or unexpected email arrives...and for most, if not all of them, it means "the bit bucket".

Matt Day
05-02-2016, 9:43 AM
I get about 6 a day that hit my junk folder. I've had my same email address for almost 20 years.

Bert Kemp
05-02-2016, 9:59 AM
I get a lot of emails from places that I have bought stuff from and most of it is ad's for the stuff I bought, I hate that :(

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2016, 10:12 AM
My internet provider does an excellent job of taking care of the junk email and must do a fairly good job at the nefarious email too as I get maybe one every couple weeks. My email address is quite old.

Charlie Velasquez
05-02-2016, 10:28 AM
I have several accounts. The ones I use for my bank and my credit cards; maybe zero. My work and my personal, again maybe zero... ehhh, I might get one or two a week on my personal. I have never used these for anything other than its dedicated purpose.

My paypal, a few a week.

I have several accounts I use when I subscribe to things or for various retail (home depot, harbor freight,...) sites. These I get notices for sales and services.

I have a throw away account for giving to anything else. I am guessing a hundred or more a day. Not exactly sure, I never read them. I just "select all", "delete" every week or so.

Steve Peterson
05-02-2016, 11:26 AM
I get between 50 and 100 junk emails per day. Most of it is targeted at a senior marketing person at my company with a different middle initial. They are mostly people trying to sell me mailing lists or get me to watch a webinar about how to close more sales. Around 3-4 names get added to my junk email filter every day. So far it has over 3000 entries. A few names keep passing through because they send it from a slightly different mail server. I create a rule to try to filter them more often.

What I don't understand is how someone thinks that the 100th email request is going to grab my attention when the first 99 were ignored. If anything, the more junk mail they send me, the more likely it is that they will be blacklisted.

I like the plan I have seen proposed where each email costs something like 1/100 of a cent. This seems like an insignificant amount of money for true email purposes, but would limit the amount of junk mail getting sent.

Steve

Rich Riddle
05-02-2016, 11:35 AM
I would like to see it cost more, like a penny an e-mail. Even for folks who send 100 a day, it would only cost a dollar. It would break scammers.

I like the plan I have seen proposed where each email costs something like 1/100 of a cent. This seems like an insignificant amount of money for true email purposes, but would limit the amount of junk mail getting sent.

Steve

Bruce Page
05-02-2016, 1:05 PM
My internet provider does an excellent job of taking care of the junk email and must do a fairly good job at the nefarious email too as I get maybe one every couple weeks. My email address is quite old.
Ditto for me too, Comcast does an excellent job of filtering. I can't remember the last time I got junk or spam email that wasn't tied to some one's corrupted mailbox.

My gmail account is a different story.

Jim Koepke
05-02-2016, 1:12 PM
Charlie has the right idea, multiple accounts.

One of my accounts almost never gets spam or junk mail. Only a few people know it and they know not to use it if it isn't important.

My other old account has supposedly been closed by the provider, but it is still working. I use it when someplace online wants an eddress.

There is another account that is my main email and it gets a quite a bit of junk that I have signed up to receive mostly ebay search notices, medical service and friends.

Finally there is an account mostly for my social media that I sometimes regret having started.

One of the features I love about my mail program is a 'bounce' button. Using it on selected mail sends it back to the source as if it was undeliverable. It comes in handy at times if the sending eddress wasn't spoofed.

I have talked to the folks at my bank and insurance company about not sending me a daily update on everything under the sun. I let them know it would all go to the junk folder and be unread meaning if they wanted to send me something important it would be lost in the filter. Why do these people think we hang on every word they send? Bury me in a mountain of trash and them expect me to see the one nugget in a year that floats by... Forget it!

jtk

roger wiegand
05-02-2016, 1:13 PM
The email I use for filling in forms on web sites gets several hundred a day, perhaps 20 get past the yahoo spam filters. I run SpamSieve on my computer and only 2-3 a week get past that. I couldn't convince my wife to separate her "public" email address from her "trusted people" address and that one gets 4-500 a day. We now route her mail by auto-forwarding through gmail, which eliminates 99% of those. Good filtering reduces the problem to a minor irritation.

Roger Feeley
05-02-2016, 1:36 PM
I would like to see it cost more, like a penny an e-mail. Even for folks who send 100 a day, it would only cost a dollar. It would break scammers.

Bill Gates proposed this quite some time ago.

Mark Blatter
05-02-2016, 2:08 PM
Bill Gates proposed this quite some time ago.

I like the idea at first blush, but my concern with it is that some, those living in Washington DC, would eventually use it to raise actual revenue. We would all come to hate it fairly quickly. Perhaps not, but that is my fear.

Jason Beam
05-02-2016, 2:17 PM
My email address is over 20 years old now.

If i shut off the spam blockers on my mail server and let it all in, it's about 2500/day -- about 15-20 of those are legitimate emails.

With the server doing the majority of the heavy lifting, about a half dozen get through to my inbox that I have to manually block. Not too bad, frankly.

Curt Harms
05-03-2016, 7:21 AM
http://www.gocomics.com/reallifeadventures

http://assets.amuniversal.com/62a8e590edaa01335722005056a9545d

I get very few unsolicited emails. I don't give my real address to entities that don't need it. For those that insist on an email address, I use a temporary email address, it's live for a few minutes for a few hours then disappears. Google it.