PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
05-02-2016, 12:09 AM
2 May 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
I know it's not exactly morning time here and where many of you are, but I'm trying to get an earlier start so I can hopefully get some sleep tonight. This has been my oncall week and it's been fairly busy off and on. I'm for sure ready for it to be over. :)

I've been working on a chair "repair" job for my family doctor. He said that his wife's dog chewed the chair stretchers and such up really bad on this one chair and wanted me to fix it for him as the chair belonged to his mother or his grandmother, I just don't remember which. No matter, here are a couple of pics of what I have started with:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/Mobile%20Uploads/20160416_160421_zpsiwqddvci.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/sawdustar/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160416_160421_zpsiwqddvci.jpg.html)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/Mobile%20Uploads/20160416_160407_zps79spgjb9.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/sawdustar/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160416_160407_zps79spgjb9.jpg.html)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/Mobile%20Uploads/20160416_160352_zpsjvzoiqoz.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/sawdustar/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160416_160352_zpsjvzoiqoz.jpg.html)

Currently, I have turned a new center stretcher and one of the side stretchers. I now have to turn another side stretcher to be as close to the one that I've already turned. Talk about challenging work since I've not been doing any real turning for almost 7 years now.!

The good news is that I come off oncall duty in a few more hours and then I'll be a free man once more.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!!

Malcolm Schweizer
05-02-2016, 2:50 AM
Thank you for reminding me why I don't own a pet! Looks like a challenging project. I ripped 100 linear feet (on two edges, so actually 200 LF) using a hand-held circular saw and a batten. It was very rough sawn and this proved to be the best way to get a straight edge with my paltry power tools.

Jim Becker
05-02-2016, 9:32 AM
I don't envy you on that project, Dennis...very challenging in so many ways! (I hope you're being compensated accordingly... ;) )

Saturday was the only "dry" day, so whatever time I had was spent on errands, mowing and weeding the herb bed in anticipation of planting soon. I actually did spend some time in the shop this weekend, but it wasn't building anything...Professor Dr SWMBO recently became a beekeeper and (like many tools in our woodworking shops) you can't just have one hive. :) So I spent a rainy Sunday painting a bunch of additional hive boxes in preparation for hive number two. LOL I also painted a bird house that one of my daughters made with me in the shop years ago so it could finally be put into service on the property...several older ones are no longer in good enough condition to work another season.

I will hopefully get back to projects in the shop soon, but still have some landscaping things to complete in the little free time I have with increased business travel.

Shawn Pixley
05-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Feeling better, I participated in the Southern California Chapter of SAPFM workshop with Alf Sharp. He lectured and demonstrated techniques for building a Philadelphia Pie Crust Table. It was quite informative and fun. Alf is a skilled craftsman and carver. A lot of knowledge can be picked up by those who pay attention. I met another Creeker there and we all had an enjoyable time.

The event was held at the Cerritos Colege woodworking shops. They are very impressive. The staff and students were very nice and quite knowledgable. I don't know if I could do better work in their shop, but some things would definately be easier.

I start back to work this morning, we'll see how that goes. I'll work half days until my stamina permits full time.

Daniel O'Neill
05-02-2016, 10:39 AM
I picked up a bench vice from CL last weekend so I got it in this weekend. Organized the shop a little bit. No real WW'ing but that's okay. I got some water stones a while ago and have been itching to sharpen some chisels & some of the kitchen knives.

Steve Wurster
05-02-2016, 10:55 AM
I spent the weekend moving my new Hammer A3-31 J/P into my basement and then setting it up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?243505-Bring-the-Hammer-Down!

Jay Larson
05-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Busy weekend.
I made a small table saw sled.
Finished up and installed a couple of upper cabinets in my shop. Mainly to get the sound system out of the dust. ;)
Broke down a couple of pallets for my fiancee so she can make some rustic signs. Nice weathered white oak.
Replaced an outlet with a GFCI in the garage area.
Finished the last bit of insulation in the ceiling of the shop area.
General cleaning in the garage part of the out building. Preparing for the final inspection.
Picked up some materials for some lower cabinets.

Mike Ontko
05-02-2016, 12:50 PM
I got to build an elevated planter bed for a budding (6 yr old) urban gardener. It's based on a YouTube video I came across while researching ideas. The whole thing went together fairly quick using sliding dovetails to connect each of the sides/ends to the posts.

I've also picked up two new projects, one for a twin-over-full bunk bed and another for a display stand for an antique horse saddle. I guess my own bookcase project and shop cabinets are going to have to wait another two to three months.

Gary Cunningham
05-02-2016, 4:11 PM
I finally had a Saturday off. So, of course it rained.

Sunday our son had to work, so the spousal unit wanted to go to the antique stores. I had my mitts on a Bedrock 5c, in good shape, for $150.00. Since I have 3 Bailey 5's I passed. Same booth has a mint #3 w/box, postwar, for $100.00. Passed on it as well.

The wife bought more Pfazlgraf, and I bought an old oil can. So of course I took the spout off to see if it had any oil left in it. Luckily the oil spilled on the ground and not down my shirt.

Adam Herman
05-02-2016, 6:19 PM
in process of painting 28 cabinet doors. My wife is not a big fan of the current "open concept" kitchen cabinets.

Malcolm Schweizer
05-02-2016, 6:50 PM
I spent the weekend moving my new Hammer A3-31 J/P into my basement and then setting it up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?243505-Bring-the-Hammer-Down!

If you're trying to make me jealous, it's working.

John Sanford
05-02-2016, 7:18 PM
On Saturday I toodled down to check out the Grand (re) Opening of our "local" Woodcraft (25+ miles away). They moved a bit over a mile into what will hopefully be a better location for them. They had some demos going on, including Rob Cosman and Chris Gochnour. Chris is local, saw him a few months back at the L-N event here. Picked up a DMT "stone", my first pair of Jorgensen Cabinet Master clamps (18"), a 4" dust hose coupler, some wax, and an acrylic project blank that will become the handle of an ice cream scoop. On the way home, I stopped in at Lowe's and got a few things there as well. Hopefully, I'll win the Laguna 14-BX bandsaw that they're giving away. Or the Festool TS55. yeah, the Festool would actually be better for me at the moment.

On Sunday I puttered about some, and then set to finishing up the Old Workbench Rebuild. Attached the expansion slab to the base, put down some small dollops of Liquid Nails, then clamped the 1/8" thick steel plate to the expansion slab. Once that was done, I scrounged up a piece of 1 1/2" thick Douglas Fir and made a temporary platform for my Athol 624 1/2" vise, a beast that wasn't much fun to horse around in the old "mark, drill, fit, mark again, drill fit" dance. 'tis done though, and last night I used the rebuilt bench for the first time, slapping some AnchorSeal onto a chunk of redwood burl that meandered into my possession a couple weeks ago.

Bruce Wrenn
05-02-2016, 9:14 PM
Friday, wife and I celebrated 36 years of marriage (stealth gloat!) On Friday morning, I had a doctor's appointment, then we went out to breakfast. Due to her father's recent fall, we couldn't go anywhere, so I painted "papa's kitchen," well most of it. Got the tall wall, side walls and window wall painted. It's a two story vaulted ceiling. Today painted stair well, including risers and skirt boards. Still have actual kitchen area to do, but it will have to wait, as we have guests coming to stay in guest room, which is on second floor of papa's kitchen. On Saturday morning, made ham biscuits, and baked a cake. Fixed dinner for Saturday night to take to her dad's. We do this every Saturday night. Went to church on Sunday morning, and then back to painting on Sunday afternoon. Made a big pot of spaghetti sauce, and let it simmer while painting on Sunday afternoon.

Steve Wurster
05-02-2016, 9:35 PM
If you're trying to make me jealous, it's working.

Not on purpose. :)

Bud Millis
05-03-2016, 7:40 AM
I too have found myself repairing chairs for the family doctor lately. He has a set of 6 chairs that were his parents - from the construction details, the chairs seem to be made around the 1920s. Pretty much all the glue has dried out and several of the dowels were broken/loose. So I have been re-drilling the holes/cleaning them out and installing all new 2" spiral cut/compressed dowels and doing the same for the corner block screw holes to anchor the screws and gluing it all back together with hide glue.

Bud Millis
05-03-2016, 8:27 AM
Also got to test out the shop made 3 in 1 faux Dremel base. Here I am routing the bottom brace pockets for a guitar build. Its actually a Craftsman Rotary tool that's about 30 years old. I have two other attachments that go with it - one for flush trimming and the is a set of "skis" that elevate the base so that I can trim the braces to a consistent height.

Lewis Justis
05-03-2016, 8:08 PM
On Saturday, went to the spring meeting of the Cumberland Furniture Guild and heard Don Williams speak on the Studley Tool Chest and also on finishing.