PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
09-19-2005, 9:12 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone and what a weekend it was.!!!!

Left Friday around lunch to go to the Central States BBQ and arrived about mid-afternoon. Relaxed and talked with folks Friday afternonn/evening and just had a general good time.

Saturday was the formal gathering of the BBQ and a lot of fun was had by all who attended. Jack Diemer spent a lot of time working on getting some handplane whooped into shape. Jack got to experience the flattening of the sole of a handplane by hand and saw that it was a real chore...!!

Handcut Dovetails were demonstrated by Jeff Hamilton. Most excellent demo if you ask me!!! Jeff is now attending the Mark Adams School of Woodworking, so don't think I'm going to let him slide on not teaching us sumpin' ever once in a while. ;)

Mr Doug Stowe attended the BBQ and what a PLEASURE it was to meet him, talk with him, see his work in person, and learn from him about his passion of woodworking and teaching kids about woodworking. We are hoping that Doug will attend next year and share more about his box making techniques. Thank You Doug for attending and sharing part of your time and life with us.

Mark Cothren and I drove back on Sunday from the BBQ and all only for me to find out when I got home that we had a non-working Water Heater....!!!! So needless to say, I got to spend all of Sunday afternoon fixing the stupid water heater. It's fixed and now the family can take a bath. The LOML said that the water heater broke sometime Friday afternoon after Mark and I left for the BBQ. Just makes ya made dont' it?

Back to work today....so what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Frank Pellow
09-19-2005, 9:28 AM
Spent all available time on both Saturday and Sunday shingling the roof of my house. This was supposed to have been done during the week when my brother-in-law Jeff had set aside time to help me. But, it rained two of the three days that Jeff was here :( .

So, I am stuck doing the bulk of the job myself and I am not fast. Jeff and I have done a lot of roofs together and the two of us are three times as fast as one of us alone.

Photo (1) shows a portion of the roof that I have completed. In the background, you can see the roof of my workshop. Yes, I am changing the shingles on the house to match the shop.

Photo (2) shows that there is still a lot of work to do.

Matt Meiser
09-19-2005, 9:31 AM
I took Friday off and we went on our last camping trip for the year. This time we visited the Dayton, OH area. On Friday we stopped at Mendelson's Liquidation Outlet (http://www.mendelsons.com/) which is a huge surplus store. I was interested in their electrical/electronics/computer outlet. I picked up some nice panels to use for organizing our TV/Ethernet/Phone/Speaker cabling into a system rather than a mess, and a new APC UPS for $25. Saturday we hit some flea markets where I hoped to find some tools, but didn't see anything I needed. Sunday we stopped at a large antique mall where I found a couple chisels.

JayStPeter
09-19-2005, 9:51 AM
I got a couple hrs. in the shop this weekend. I got an early start on all the lawn work (aerating, overseeding, fertilizing), so Sunday afternoon was unexpectedly free. I cut the tennons for the kids bed headboard/footboards. I still have some work to do with a chisel to round the tennon ends to fit the router cut mortises. One headboard is ready for the next step. Hopefully I can get them all fitted in a couple evenings. When I actually get in the shop this project goes fast. Unfortunately, shop time is so sporadic, progress in real-time is extremely slow.

Jay

Scott Coffelt
09-19-2005, 10:02 AM
We had a neighborhood garage sale this weekend, so I took Friday afternoon off to get prepared. Saturday morning I left the garage sale in capable hands (SWMBO) and went to a company golf tourny for United Way. I had a total blast, new there was no shot at winning it cause I had two ladies on my team who play once a year. We chose to have fun and actually played pretty good. All participants received a Nickent Rescue Wood as an entry prize. Wife did well on the garage sale, sold almost $500 in stuff. I boxed the rest up when I got home for donations. Saturday night my wife and SIL went to a fitness contest to see their training compete so I got to hang out with the boy. Sunday, was spent doing a little running around and relaxing. Go Chiefs!

Ed Lang
09-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Spent Saturday in the shop getting ready for the ClearVue Cyclone that UPS should deliver today and thinking where would I put a ShopBot if I ever did get one.

Sunday my wife and oldest son drove to Keith and Jackie Outtens house for a fantastic demo of the ShopBot, Epilog Laser as well as lunch!

Now I have to decide where to put the Shopbot... Thanks Keith.... Now I have to move the equipment around _again_ :D

Jim O'Dell
09-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Only time I got into the shop was for picking up some tools on 2 different occasions. Finished the plumbing job at my friends house from last weekend. Sanded down the main bathroom's vanity, got a primer coat and one top coat on yesterday. Need to sand down some runs this evening and get the second coat on the cabinet. The 2 doors and 6 drawers are in the garage. Drawers will get their second coat and the doors will get the first coat on the back side, also this evening. Then THE game of the night (Sorry Giant and Saints fans) We'll get a chance to see if there is anything to the Boys or not! Hope everyone has a good week. Jim

Dan Gill
09-19-2005, 10:22 AM
In spite of ridiculous heat, I got out into the shop for a while Saturday and made a drawer for DVDs that I mounted in one of the cabinets in my living room. Nothing to look out, just some scrap ply with hardboard top and bottom, and the last pair of extra full extension drawer slides I had after my kitchen remodel last year. But it holds DVD and it will be tucked out of sight in the cabinets.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Nothing!! :) No woodworking for me this weekend. I enjoyed the wonderful weather that we had instead :)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Nada! Spent the weekend getting reaquainted with the LOML who'd been gone for 8 weeks. Sunday, mowed the lawn and had a dinner with one of our granddaughters and her "beau". Relaxing.......Did I mention the LOML is back? If you had an hour and a half I'll tell you how much I hate my own cooking!

John Miliunas
09-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Finished up the hall bench for LOML ( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24320 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24320) ) That took the bulk of Sat., plus part of the morning Sun. My best buddy stopped for a short visit Sat., as well. :) After my daughter had surprised me with a clean shop a couple weeks ago, I told her I would make an effort to clean up after each project, so that's what I did for a good part of the afternoon. Started to watch, what amounted to a pretty useless ball game when fellow Creeker, Dave Wilson stopped for a visit and the nickel tour. ( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24331 ) A nice visit with Dave, late supper and some limited discussion with LOML for the "next project".:) Have a great week, all!:) :cool:

Vaughn McMillan
09-19-2005, 2:31 PM
Spent most of the weekend doing office work at home, and got relatively little shop time in. (We have "flex time" lately at the office...I can work any 18 hours of the day that I want.)

For the first weekend in many, I did nothing with cutting boards (except I sold one). As an aside, the little maple and satine cutting board I recently auctioned off for Katrina Relief fetched $61.50 for the Red Cross. Not bad for some scrap wood and a bit of sanding time. I did finish up my first box project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24346&page=1) and made a bit of progress on another box idea I'm working on.

Wish I could have attended the Central States BBQ. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

- Vaughn

David Duke
09-19-2005, 3:03 PM
Was able to take Friday off and drove up to Huntsville to visit with an old high school friend. A couple years ago he and his son decided to get into the sawmill business and M&G Sawmill was born. Was able to pick up some beautiful kiln dried QS Red Oak at a great price.:D

Saturday was spent tearing down my 2hp Oneida DC to replace the Leeson motor :mad: , (it had a bad stator); replaced it with a Baldor. Hope I have better luck with this one because even though the unit is 5yrs old it probably didn't have 200 hours on the motor (and I always heard Leeson was one of the best motors made :( ).

Sunday was spent with the extended family for our monthly birthday bash!!

Jim Becker
09-19-2005, 6:24 PM
It was an eclectic weekend...finished up the small vanity table (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=221007&postcount=17) for the girls' room, replaced some outdoor floodlights that had burnt out, installed the hands-free kit in Dr. SWMBO's Prius since we now have "compatible" phones and want to be able to switch between cars at will, started sealing and insulating the windows in the 250 year old portion of our home and finally got to closing off the fireplace in my office since it's not usable without a liner and is a big source of cold air in the winter and muggy air in the summer. This year's fall home improvment theme is going to be "energy conservation" as I think it's going to be a very scary winter for the cost of natural gas. :confused:

For that latter project, I both capped the chimney at the top with sheet metal (leaving a big sign inside the hearth indicating the same) and installed an insulated panel to close off the hearth in the room. (No more storing files in there anymore...lol!) Pic of that below. It's just some scrap beaded hardboard left over from the kitchen wainscot, painted black and held in place by a simple frame from scrap 2x4 material (that Dr. SWMBO has been trying to get me to remove from the tractor garage bay for a long time...) and caulk. R19 insulation is fastened to the back and black caulk seals of any and all air infiltration. Alison joked that I should paint flames on it...but I don't think I'd like that!

No DVD this week...got too involved in other things, like eating and working out. (complimentary activities, I suppose... :p )

Waymon Campbell
09-19-2005, 6:39 PM
I'm working on replacing the rail system on my front porch. Our builder used treated lumber 7 years ago. However, they used bright nails! and apparently didn't prime it well either (I think they primed over wet treated wood), so the paint is coming off. Saturday was demolition day and I am going back with cypress that is primed and painted.

If the hurricane doesn't hit us here in Texas I should be through by the weekend.

Matt Meiser
09-19-2005, 6:46 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Becker]Alison joked that I should paint flames on it...but I don't think I'd like that!QUOTE]

You should have put a TV in there! :D :D

Jim Becker
09-19-2005, 6:50 PM
You should have put a TV in there!

I have a TV/Radio card in my personal PC and it's hooked up to cable. :D Besides, the arrangement of my office wouldn't make it possible to even watch a TV in there! (and conserving energy is much more important)

John Buzzurro
09-19-2005, 7:54 PM
Finished assembling a plant stand (http://userweb.suscom.net/~jbuzzurr/woodworking/projects/plantstand) I've been working on.

Keith Christopher
09-19-2005, 9:06 PM
Worked on the bathroom cabinet, sealed and primed it for painting. Worked on my daughter's bed, as well as the mockup for the table I designed. Got alot done inspite of all the other things I had to do.

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2005, 10:29 PM
My LOML and I spent Saturday doing yard work. Sunday we spent some quality time in the shop cutting out a flip top tool bench and resawing some 2 x 4 to 3/8" for some of her crafts. Was a lot of fun. She spent a couple of hours on the bandsaw and scroll saw cutting out stuff for halloween for the grandkids. The tool bench will hold a Delta bench top sander 4 X 36 with a 6 inch disc sander and my Delta 12" lunch box planer.

Bernie

Tom Peterson
09-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Jim Becker and Mark Singer shamed me into building my own cross cut sled for my table saw. It is assembled, but not squared up yet. Finished my prototype cabinet and ordered CutlistPlus. Mark, thanks for the simplified instructions. Sank in misery as the Pack fell to 0 & 2

Vaughn McMillan
09-20-2005, 4:21 AM
Finished assembling a plant stand (http://userweb.suscom.net/%7Ejbuzzurr/woodworking/projects/plantstand) I've been working on.
John, that's pretty wood in your plant stand. What is it?

- Vaughn

John Buzzurro
09-20-2005, 7:42 AM
Vaughn,

That's Leopardwood, with 1 coat of tung oil on it (haven't finished it yet). Here's some info (http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Store_Code=WS&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Leopardwood) on it if you're interested.

Regards,
John