PDA

View Full Version : Pencil box

Mike Cherry
05-01-2016, 6:35 PM

This is a box that I built for my wife for her coloring pencils. Coloring books for adults are apparently a thing! I copied the design from Shannon Rogers on a podcast he did a month ago or so. The sides are curly maple and the lid is African mahogany. I did two coats of clear shellac and a coat of paste wax. This is the first time Ive posted work on here I think. I think I would do the box joinery differently next time as it came out less than impressive to my eyes. The thumb catch was done with a #3/5mm gouge. This is the only gouge I currently own and a wider more curved gouge would have made it easier. Still alot to learn with gouges!

Thanks for looking and feel free to offer any advice that might make my work better!

Gregory Carles
05-01-2016, 7:21 PM
Nice Job, looks great.

Kenneth Fisher
05-01-2016, 7:37 PM
Nice work sir! Looks great!

Mel Fulks
05-01-2016, 8:33 PM
Thoughtful and timely gift ...and a lot better box than the plastic ones the other kids have! Buy her some real drawing paper and maybe she will start making her own drawings.

ken hatch
05-01-2016, 9:25 PM
Nice job Mike.

When I've nothing to do and/or between projects I will make pencil and candle boxes to give as gifts. Many are "seconds" because I will try new things while making them. I've never had anyone that didn't love the gift if for no other reason they show the hand of the maker. We sometimes forget in this world of machine made goods art only comes from a artist's hand. BTW, even the "firsts" have mistakes, they are just better hidden :).

ken

Brian Holcombe
05-01-2016, 9:46 PM
Nice work Mike!

Andrew Pitonyak
05-01-2016, 10:08 PM
I have considered making a few of these. Yours came out looking very nice!

How did you make the "finger pull"? I am assuming that you used a gouge; I don't own a gouge! :(

What is the distance from the top of the box to the groove? It looks like a pretty big distance.

Mike Cherry
05-01-2016, 10:32 PM
First off thanks for the kind words everyone,means a lot.
The thumb hole was made with a gouge. It didn't come out as smooth as I'd like but I think a wider gouge is necessary.
The distance from the top of the box to the top of the groove is just under 3/8" and the grooves are 1/4". The shadow lines this creates were quite appealing to me.

Mike Allen1010
05-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Michael,

Your Box is beautiful and something you should certainly be proud of!

Parenthetically,I just want to mention, in passing ------- building beautiful, insightful things for your lovely wife that particularly support things she is especially interested in – make the rest of us look like crap!

Okay perhaps was a little strong– my bad! Seriously, thanks for posting.

Best, Mike.

Mike Cherry
05-02-2016, 11:55 PM
Haha thanks pal!