PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Cabinet Design

Joe O'Leary
05-01-2016, 1:23 PM
I am going to build a cabinet for my slow speed grinder, which is dedicated to sharpening my turning tools. I need it to be mobile (casters) and support heavy weight. The grinder’s shipping weight was about 90 lbs.
As you can see from the pics, years ago I put a sheet of mdf on top of an old tv cabinet. It has since bowed almost 3/16” in the center. I’d like some advice on how to construct a strong cabinet. Others that I have built have been frameless ¾ ply- not strong enough for this. I was thinking of a thin torsion box over a 2X3 frame. Any thoughts?

Thanks.336719 336720

Chris Fournier
05-01-2016, 1:44 PM
If you are okay with this cabinet but simply want to address the weak top why not just retrofit some cross members underneath the top and carry on?

Joe Bradshaw
05-01-2016, 1:49 PM
Joe, I built my grinder stand from 3/4" plywood. It is 24" square and 48" tall. It has 4 drawers on heavy duty slides. It also has retractable casters. I rarely move it. I made a platform to hold my grinder. It is also 3/4" plywood. It is 3" tall and has 4 dividers. The grinder bolts to this and it has rubber feet. It is very stable and has not moved. I like my grinder up high so that I don't have to bend over.
Joe

Prashun Patel
05-01-2016, 2:25 PM
+1. It'd be a shame to waste a perfectly fine cabinet that can be strengthened easily.

Stan Powers
05-01-2016, 4:15 PM
Joe
I built this as a lumber cart to move and store parts in the shop. It is not pretty but it is strong and cheap.
The base is a moving platform. I got my at O'Connor hardware in Billerica, not too far from you, but they also have them at Harbor Freight. the assembled hardwood platform was cheaper than the price of the casters.
4x4s in the corners, mitered 2x4s on top of that and scrap plywood for a top.
you could add shelves and or sides as desired.

Hope this gives you some ideas
Stan

Joe O'Leary
05-02-2016, 8:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll mesh all your ideas and strengthen the existing cabinet, add drawers, etc.

I love SMC!

John Sanford
05-02-2016, 5:17 PM
You can reinforce the top. Or, if you build a new one, have a vertical that comes right up the center under the grinder. Lotsa ways to approach this one.

Joe O'Leary
05-03-2016, 7:16 AM
John, I was considering that, but wouldn't that simply transfer the weight to the bottom of the cabinet, since it's on casters?