PDA

View Full Version : Miter Jig

Jerry Bruette
05-01-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm thinking of making a jig that would mount on my crosscut sled for cutting 45* angles on panels.

I have a contractors table saw and I'm a little concerned about the alignment when the blade is tipped at 45*. Will tipping the work piece at 45* in a jig mounted to the crosscut sled, which is square to the blade, save me the concerns about alignment?

I saw an idea in a shop tricks book that said to build the jig at 48* and then adjust the blade to get a perfect 45* angle, that seems to bring the alignment issue back into play.

Anyone ever build or use the type of jig I'm talking about, or have any other ideas?

Jerry

Lee Schierer
05-10-2016, 3:48 PM
You would need to build the jig so the cut makes a full angle and also clamps the piece in place so that it doesn't tend to slide down your jig into the blade. A tilted jig would also not allow you to cut off a short piece from a long board without sizing the board first.

Doug Garson
05-11-2016, 12:12 PM
I agree with Lee, it would also be difficult to include a stop block to ensure multiple pieces are all the same length. What's your concern with setting your blade at 45 degrees? Don't try to rely on the angle indicated on the saw, get an angle indicator box like this to set the blade angle.
http://www.amazon.com/AccuRemote-Digital-Electronic-Magnetic-Protractor/dp/B006JR8XBG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462983097&sr=8-3&keywords=angle+indicator