PDA

View Full Version : Scraper journey

Phil Mueller
05-01-2016, 11:24 AM
There has been no lack of praise here for the simple card scraper and cabinet scraper. I figured it was time to find out what all the hubbub was about.

Step one was the card scraper. No surprise, this is not a device that comes ready to use out of the packaging. Umpteen videos, a kerf board jib, and a burnisher later, I was ready to try to "sharpen" this thing. Getting it flat and square wasn't much trouble. The bur I discovered takes a little trial and error. First not enough...sawdust. Then too much...digs in too much. But after a few attempts was getting a nice little shaving. Pretty cool.

Some time ago a thread popped up about the cabinet scraper. I believe it is Prashun who's at fault here for my search for one. Low and behold, one appeared on Patrick Leach's April list, and I scooped it up. A Stanley #80.

Unlike a shopeshave, I found the scraper would fit into my honing guide and getting the right edge was easy. Then came the burr again. Forgetting it's bevel down, I first put it on the wrong side. Another honing. Once I worked the right side, a few light swipes with the burnisher, a little trial and error with the thumb screw, and I'm understanding the praise for this tool. I believe it's quickly becoming a favorite, for sure.

Jim Koepke
05-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Good for you Phil. I am still at the pick it up and give it a try now and then phase with scrappers. Every once in a while a good shaving comes of my efforts.

jtk

Derek Cohen
05-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Just to clarify terminology ..

A "card scraper" is the name given in the USA, while in the UK and Australia it would be called a "cabinet scraper". This is a steel card/blade that is held in the hand.

A "scraper plane" is the name given to a plane that is used to scrape. This can range from the Stanley #80 through to the #112.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Don Dorn
05-01-2016, 12:18 PM
I feel fortunate in that a card scraper has never presented a problem for me in both use and getting a burr. I'm of the belief that if it takes too long to do, you wont do it. I simply use a single cut mill file to joint, then the back of chisel to consolidate the edge (from the jointing) and then roll the burr.

The cabinet scraper is another matter. While I don't have an issue getting a burr, I find it hard to isolate a small area I want to use it for. Finding the right angle with the screw has been an effort as well. For a larger surface, I use a standard bench plane and then the card scraper for those small areas what would tear or around a knot. Seems to work for me anyway.