PDA

View Full Version : How dry is dry enough?

David Mealey
05-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Hi All,

I've cooking my first attempt in an oversized kiln with a diy setup. Lots of fans and electric heaters with a fairly good size dehumidifier. I have 9-10 slabs of 8/4, 2"x 9-10" slabs stacked and drying. I'm down to 8-12% on my moisture meters. Is that dry enough?

A second question for you pros, I've done some research on Peavey's and was surprised to see the variety. Do you have a recommendation for a versatile Peavey?

Thanks,

David M.

Dennis Ford
05-02-2016, 9:04 AM
If you are planning on making indoor furniture; you want the moisture to match what it will get to inside your home. I would think that 8% is good enough, 12% not so good. It is difficult to accurately measure the moisture content of 8/4 material with a meter as the surface dries out sooner than the interior.

Cody Colston
05-02-2016, 9:37 AM
If you are using a pin meter, the MC reading will not be representative of the core MC. Like Dennis noted, the outside dries first. Otherwise, 8% is dry enough.

I recommend Logrite for PVs and cant hooks.

David Mealey
05-02-2016, 9:12 PM
Thanks Cody and Dennis,

I have a Wagner digital reader and I think it penetrates deep enough to give me an accurate reading. It seems a lot more sensitive then my standard pin meter.

Cody,

Do you have the longer handle (60") or both the 48 and 60" cant hooks?

Cody Colston
05-03-2016, 7:15 AM
Cody,

Do you have the longer handle (60") or both the 48 and 60" cant hooks?

I have only the 48" handle cant hook.

James White
05-05-2016, 10:19 PM
I like to weigh at least three sample boards from different locations in the stack every day. I use a fish scale and then record the weights on the boards to keep a running record. There is too much work in drying lumber to leave it up to a moisture meter alone. You can get probes that you drill deeper into the lumber and leave them there for the duration. But I still would not trust that alone.

If you are going to do big logs (1k plus). Then I would get the Logrite in the long version.

James

Scott T Smith
05-07-2016, 10:58 PM
I have both 48" and 60" cant hooks and use them both about the same amount. Logrite makes great tools; you won't go wrong with one.

Standard MC% for lumber to be used indoors is 6% - 8%MC.

Your Wagner meter is only reading 75% of the way to the core of the lumber.

Danny Hamsley
05-08-2016, 7:43 AM
I have both the 60" and the 78" Logrite cant hooks. The 78" one is too big for most logs unless they are over 20 - 24" in diameter. The 60" cant hook is my go-to hook. If I only had one, it would be the 60".

Logrites are the very best that you can buy. You will not regret it.

Art Hunt
05-08-2016, 7:55 PM
As mentioned moisture content is based on where it's going to be placed in it's intended use. Though it does take a long time to acclimatize in situ. Our fir flooring after kiln drying and shaping, needs additional drying. Also consider moisture change through the seasons. I would say dryer by a tad would be better, as the core is likely a little more where you want it be.