PDA

View Full Version : needing help

Robert White
04-30-2016, 10:39 PM
OK first mistake buying laser engraver off ebay - chinese 60W CO2 USB Laser Engraving Cutter Stand Cutting Machine Engraver 500x700mm

OK from day one never worked!!! the tube never fired , no ark no beam, then second day it fired beam only after turning unit on then off on then off then on, then it worked about 4 hours. turned off came back next day laser would not fire beam, no sound no ark no beam. checked and double checked connection at tube. they were good and connected. we have tired to get help from person that we bought laser engraver from and its like pulling eye teeth, ebay wont help paypal wont help even tho they found in favor of us they wanted us to ship laser back to china. so after emailing and emailing they sent a video to have us try to see if laser would fire, (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8w...?usp=drive_web (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8wyLCkBSU8IdW5ZLUFFdGlhd1U/view?usp=drive_web)) once we unplugged the second connector and hit test fire on supply the tube fired, beam could be seen hitting metal ring on inside of tube.

So I turned of unit and tried it again 4/29/2016 never changed anything hit test fire on supply unit , nothing.

what do you think it might be, I also have a ground light flashing on control board ????????

I'm thinking i got a 2200 dollar paper weight

I'm thinking bad power supply and maybe tube ?

OK I went and played with it today 04/30/2016, plugged everything in and ran laser, the tubed fired but the longer it ran the less beam it had, finally after i would say 1 or 2 minutes the tube got less and less fire to where it quit all together... unplugged the second plug off power supply hit test fit from supply unit and nothing. how can it not work yesterday at all and today work for a few minutes ?????http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/chairshot.gif

when i hit test fire on power supply nothing happens is it leaning towards a new power supply ? where can i get another one - it shows myjg60w as model number on power supply unit.. its included in pictures I INCLUDED.

OK, here is a follow up ------ I found a packing peanut, did the peanut test - here is what happened. when i first powered up laser and hit test fire from power supply for laser the peanut moved towards the hv wire, then after about 5 sec the laser quit firing - the peanut never moved again. I turn off laser I let it set for a few minutes turn back on, hit test fire peanut moves after a few sec it stops firing peanuts again doesn't move when test fire is pushed, do this couple times same results. the last time I got real close to end of wire near laser tube hit test fire I could see peanut move some what.

ok here is photo when laser fires, just as it is about to quit, it thins out and the beam looks scattered goes light purple not a solid beam if that makes any sense

ok here is photo when laser fires, just as it is about to quit, it thins out and the beam looks scattered goes light purple not a solid beam if that makes any sense you can see where beam is hitting the metal ring on inside of tube negative side.

If it does need a tube where can i get one, it either 39.5 inch long or 40 inch long

any info would be grateful needing this thing up an running

Bert Kemp
04-30-2016, 11:05 PM
Do you mean the beam was hitting something inside the tube and never getting to the first mirror???

Robert White
05-01-2016, 8:31 AM
yes in the last photos you can see beam hitting the metal ring inside tube

Bert Kemp
05-01-2016, 9:25 AM
I don't know how that can happen unless the tube is defective. The beam should go straight through the tube out the end and hit the first mirror then the second and the last through lens and make the material.
If the beam doesn't get out the tube its messed up and I would try to get the seller to replace it, or send the whole thing back at his expense. Paypal has a return free shipping thing and ebay has a protection plan. I would use these methods first before buying tubes and trying to make this one work.

Robert White
05-02-2016, 6:17 PM
ok we have tried for 4 weeks now to get this fix, the seller is from china, ebay / paypal found in our favor, but wanted us to ship (our cost back to china) even tho it was shipped from California - but since we could not give them a tracking number paypal closed the case. So we been sitting on a $2200 paper weight.

Matt McCoy
05-02-2016, 6:30 PM
...tubed fired but the longer it ran the less beam it had, finally after i would say 1 or 2 minutes the tube got less and less fire to where it quit all together...

This is likely a problem with the power supply. It will need to be tested and possibly replaced.

Bill George
05-02-2016, 6:38 PM
ok we have tried for 4 weeks now to get this fix, the seller is from china, ebay / paypal found in our favor, but wanted us to ship (our cost back to china) even tho it was shipped from California - but since we could not give them a tracking number paypal closed the case. So we been sitting on a $2200 paper weight.

Who wanted you to ship to China, PayPal or eBay? I would fight this all the way and contest the charge. I don't know what State you are in but I would find the consumer fraud division and raise hell.

Keith Winter
05-02-2016, 7:02 PM
Who wanted you to ship to China, PayPal or eBay? I would fight this all the way and contest the charge. I don't know what State you are in but I would find the consumer fraud division and raise hell.

I think he's out the shipping regardless at least one way if not both. Technically they fulfilled their end of the cc purchase by sending him the machine is how the cc company and paypal likely look at it. Now the fact that it doesn't work will be hard to prove, they can just say it's user error. I guarantee the visa/mc/amex company won't understand what he's trying to explain on the laser. That being said I think it's worth trying to fight, best of luck I hope you get refunded. Even if you have to pay to send it back some money would be better than a "$2200 paper weight" as you called it.

Bill George
05-02-2016, 7:18 PM
Its going to cost him a $1,000 to ship it back and net maybe $1,200. For that cost you can replace the HV power supply and tube, 4 times over. The question is, can the OP do the repairs? The problem with buying something from China and you have no skills to repair your more or less up that certain creek.
I just wonder if all the plugs and connections have been checked? I found several loose on my Chinese machine.

Bert Kemp
05-02-2016, 7:32 PM
I think you all could talk him thru testing and replacement as needed

Bill George
05-02-2016, 7:48 PM
Robert If you have a voltmeter or multi meter that would help. I get all my parts from Lightobject dot com they will have tubes and power supplies.

Even with the hot glue strung across the connections they can still be loose screws, check all of them.
Do you have water flow through the tube?
Is the ground wire to the tube connected at the end where the first mirror is ?
Is the red heavy wire to the tube connected?
Start with the basics first.

Keith Winter
05-02-2016, 8:18 PM
You might also try looking/searching on CNC forum. A lot more people who bought eBay lasers that they had to fix, maybe someone has encountered this on there...

Robert White
05-02-2016, 9:05 PM
yes I have skills to do this, I have ran over all connections, check as much as I could before coming here, to ask for any type of help, the crazy thing is the laser tube- it shows 60w but the tube length that I can find is 50w -- 1000 mm tube length. I checked length it shows either 39.5 or 40 inches trying to do it myself. The power system if you hit test fire for it alone it will fire tube for about 3 to 5 seconds after that the tube will do nothing, if you turn laser of wait 5 to 10 minutes turn back on then again you get 3 to 5 secs of laser to fire then dead again until you turn off then back on.

If you look at photos I included you see the power supply - i have to unplug the bottom plug to get laser to fire at all, if I let it set for a few days , plug everything back in I can fire laser for a few seconds for control panel, then it stops and turn off machine, unplug plug turn on then fire tube 3 to 5 secs.

Bill George
05-02-2016, 9:07 PM
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/General-type-DHL-ly-60W-LASER-POWER-SUPPLY-0-5V-PWM-signal/32416020541.html
A link to info about the PS and a video. Looks to be a decent part.
Robert are you 100% sure the HV connections are good on the tube And did you check with a screw driver the connections on all the controls?
Its not unusual to have A 50 watt tube in A 60 watt machine.... on Chinese lasers anyway.

Robert White
05-02-2016, 9:18 PM
I did peanut test that someone advised off CNC it worked if I hit test fire on Power Supply the shipping peanut would attach to the HV red power supply wire, but one the power supply would not light the shipping peanut would not, turn off machine with 3 to 5 minutes turn back on guess what 3 to 5 sec peanut would attach to HV line once it quit nothing from peanut. not tube fire. turn off wait turn on fire 3 to 5 secs tops

Also may not be anything- controller board I have a blinking light on line 14 http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=317476&d=1461279434

Keith Winter
05-02-2016, 9:20 PM
Pretty standard 60w max 50w actual. That part would be normal, other part is not. Bill has given you some good places to start checking.

yes I have skills to do this, I have ran over all connections, check as much as I could before coming here, to ask for any type of help, the crazy thing is the laser tube- it shows 60w but the tube length that I can find is 50w -- 1000 mm tube length. I checked length it shows either 39.5 or 40 inches trying to do it myself. The power system if you hit test fire for it alone it will fire tube for about 3 to 5 seconds after that the tube will do nothing, if you turn laser of wait 5 to 10 minutes turn back on then again you get 3 to 5 secs of laser to fire then dead again until you turn off then back on.

If you look at photos I included you see the power supply - i have to unplug the bottom plug to get laser to fire at all, if I let it set for a few days , plug everything back in I can fire laser for a few seconds for control panel, then it stops and turn off machine, unplug plug turn on then fire tube 3 to 5 secs.

Robert White
05-02-2016, 9:27 PM
Robert If you have a voltmeter or multi meter that would help. I get all my parts from Lightobject dot com they will have tubes and power supplies.

Even with the hot glue strung across the connections they can still be loose screws, check all of them.
Do you have water flow through the tube?
Is the ground wire to the tube connected at the end where the first mirror is ?
Is the red heavy wire to the tube connected?
Start with the basics first.

YES all wires are connected to tube, this isn't my first laser, First paper weight, but I triple checked wires , leads , plugs connections ground wires to and from machine, water was running , no bubbles

Matt McCoy
05-02-2016, 9:53 PM
I'll mention again that is is likely the power supply. A quick test is to run a long vector cut at max power. If you can no longer see evidence of vaporization of the material (not even a mark) the power supply to the tube has probably failed. If you can still engrave an image, you might look at replacing the tube. However, a bad PS can take out the tube as well.

Dave Sheldrake
05-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Ummm that beam in the tube isn't a beam...it's a high voltage generated plasma. You can't actually see the laser beam inside a CO2 tube. The metal rings at each end are just electrodes, it's not at all unusual to see the plasma going between them (in fact it's a requirement for the tube to work)

Looking at the colour in the video I'd suggest it is firing at too high a current causing saturation and failure due to the lack of available gas (gain medium) to sustain the lase (it's a very white plasma)

At 1,000mm that's a 50 watt tube, 60's are 1200mm long (in 55mm diameter size)

Given that the JG60 PSU will fire at up to 24/25mA so more than enough to overheat and kill a 50 watt tube and has probably been over adjusted at the supplier to give a higher than safe power.

Without knowing what residual current is at the negative end of the tube it's not possible to say exactly which is at fault, the tube, the PSU or both

Bill George
05-02-2016, 10:01 PM
I did peanut test that someone advised off CNC it worked if I hit test fire on Power Supply the shipping peanut would attach to the HV red power supply wire, but one the power supply would not light the shipping peanut would not, turn off machine with 3 to 5 minutes turn back on guess what 3 to 5 sec peanut would attach to HV line once it quit nothing from peanut. not tube fire. turn off wait turn on fire 3 to 5 secs tops

Also may not be anything- controller board I have a blinking light on line 14 http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=317476&d=1461279434

Did you follow that Link? Info in the video also. The reason I stressed the HV connection, especially the the ground because it seems like the beam is wandering inside the tube.

Bill George
05-03-2016, 8:27 AM
You need to also post the part number of the controller card to find out about that warning light. Plus the fact the tube will only fire with the test button is another symptom that will need to be addressed.

Does the motion control system work?

Matt McCoy
05-03-2016, 8:56 AM
Maybe too late, but return shipping must be paid by the seller when an item is "Not as Described" on Ebay. You also might take a another look through the return policies for the machine you purchased. If you used a credit card through Paypal, I would contact your issuer. Shipping a heavy package back to China for a refund is leverage to prevent returns.

Matt McCoy
05-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Sorry -- one other thing. It is also against Ebay's TOS to misrepresent where the item is shipping from. If there is a discrepancy in where the item is listed to ship from and the location it actually ships, it is violation of Ebay's policy, I believe. Here's more info:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/item-location.html

Bill George
05-03-2016, 5:55 PM
So Robert, what have you found?

Robert White
05-04-2016, 4:46 PM
OK so I got digging around, triple checked all wires, connections, which all was tight!!!!!!! So then I go to power supply for laser open it up started looking for bad solders, loose connections, and guess what I found ????????? there is a circuit board on the inside of power supply that has a bad solder joint- I could move it in a way the laser would fire each and every time, then let it rest, and laser would do nothing, no noise no test fire. more it just a little Bang the laser fired. So I just got home from work and going to re-solder the joint and be back in business, Thank god. Then I can work on tube.

336919 336920

Bill George
05-04-2016, 4:53 PM
Excellent news! I had a small Chinese made milling machine....same thing. They get in a hurry putting those things together and crappy solder will do it every time. You might not need a tube, but I got one last time from my source Lightobject dot com, just make sure you measure correctly.

Bert Kemp
05-04-2016, 6:39 PM
I refer back to post #10:D

Doug Griffith
05-04-2016, 8:01 PM
OK so I got digging around, triple checked all wires, connections, which all was tight!!!!!!! So then I go to power supply for laser open it up started looking for bad solders, loose connections, and guess what I found ????????? there is a circuit board on the inside of power supply that has a bad solder joint- I could move it in a way the laser would fire each and every time, then let it rest, and laser would do nothing, no noise no test fire. more it just a little Bang the laser fired. So I just got home from work and going to re-solder the joint and be back in business, Thank god. Then I can work on tube.

336919 336920

Make your life easy and solder some headers on there. Put female on the main board and 90 degree male on the daughter board. They look like .1" pitch which is very common. Measure between the pins to determine pitch.

John Blazy
05-04-2016, 8:27 PM
This is why I bought my cheap Chinese laser from an ACTUAL IMPORTER with tech support.

Robert White
05-04-2016, 9:08 PM
well guys I played with laser for over 3 hours and no more issues for the moment (crossing fingers) so that being said all that for a Bad solder - go figure