PDA

View Full Version : Stacking slabs

Kim Haubert
04-30-2016, 11:56 AM
I'm an old beginner. Stacked my first stacks of Walnut, Maple and Sycamore. Covered the top with tin roofing sheets. Will the tin get too hot and bake the slab underneath? Also concerned whether the morning and evening sun will hurt the edges?

Thx
Kim

Tom Hogard
04-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Kim,

Leaving the edges exposed to the sun will degrade your boards. The edge will gray and weather, and that is the minor problem. The big problem is that the edge exposed to the sun will be warmer and dry more quickly while the portion of the board in the shade will dry slowly = crook. Reverse issue is edges exposed to frequent moisture (rain/snow), inside will dry faster. Consider using shade cloth to protect the stack from the sun, it will help somewhat with moisture too.

Cody Colston
05-01-2016, 9:38 AM
The tin getting hot is not a concern. Like Tom replied, shade cloth will block the sun, help keep moisture (rain) off the slab edges and still allow air flow through the stack. Using two sheets of tin on top to increase the overhang on the sides would work, too.

Kim Haubert
05-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Many thx.

I happen to have a shade tarp I used it one year for my dog pen. I have the stack covered now.

Kim

Bradley Gray
05-01-2016, 10:12 PM
I have not had good luck covering lumber stacks with a tarp. Ground moisture gets caught and mold goes crazy. I stack lumber with metal on top pretty much as you showed. I do try to have more overhang with the metal for shade.

Cody Colston
05-02-2016, 9:43 AM
I agree with Bradley. Unless that tarp allows air to flow thru it like shade cloth, you don't want to us it over the stack. The lumber will mold and mildew.

Al Launier
05-02-2016, 9:49 AM
Using your tarps, you could "stake" the edges of the tarp away from the stack. That would still provide the shade while protecting the stack from sun & rain and allowing air to flow through the stack.

Prashun Patel
05-02-2016, 10:01 AM
These guys have more experience than I, but I found it beneficial to cover the SIDES of the stack, but not the ends. This allows airflow through the stack but protects the sides from checks and weather.

I would also every now and then blow the ends with a leaf blower to evacuate mice, imported leaves and twigs, and clinging sawdust.

Cody Colston
05-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Air flow end-to-end is blocked by the stickers between the layers.

Scott T Smith
05-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Many thx.

I happen to have a shade tarp I used it one year for my dog pen. I have the stack covered now.

Kim

You really need to remove those tarps asap of you wil destroy the lumber. You have to have air flow to dry; the only time to fully tarp is during a rainstorm if your stacks are exposed.

Danny Hamsley
05-04-2016, 8:53 PM
I agree with Cody. I would increase the overhang of the roof. No tarp. Without lots of air flow, the maple and sycamore will gray stain and sticker stain. Walnut won't and is much easier to dry without gray stain than maple or sycamore.

Kim Haubert
05-04-2016, 11:42 PM
I'll make a change tomorrow.

Thx

Wes Ramsey
05-18-2016, 3:02 PM
One other point - you generally want your stickers as close to the ends as possible as boards often won't check past the sticker, and you want them about 2' apart.