PDA

View Full Version : Replacing old windows

Dan Mages
09-19-2005, 12:15 AM
Hi all.

I want to replace my drafty, old windows that date back to 1962. They are single pane jobs with stom windows, but don't make a bit of difference. I don't know much about window companies, except Pella and Andersen, but I do not have the 8-10k needed for their products. Any brands out there I should check out??

Thanks!

Dan

Jason Roehl
09-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Well, Dan, I have Bee windows in my house. They were installed a few years before I moved in, I think. Seem to be decent (all vinyl) quality. My only beef is that the screen is only half height, so I can't open the top section without letting in a large portion of nature's airborne. I've also seen Caradco windows that seem to be economical but still of passable quality. I can't think of any other names right now.

Pat Monahan
09-19-2005, 1:52 AM
Superior Seal makes a good product, but I don't know if they distribute to your area. They are a local manufacturer here. You may want to check out your local manufacturers or sellers - national brands don't necessarily mean the best bang for the buck. When I had to replace the dining room window, there were lesser known brands that were rated as more energy efficient and had a better warranty for a similar price than the well known brands. I am not associated in any way with any manufacturer, seller, blah, blah:rolleyes:
Since windows get expensive in a hurry, I've heard the plastic film that goes on the inside of the window can make a big difference in the winter. It might be worth pricing out as a short term solution - kinda like a band-aid on a sucking chest wound, but better than no band-aid at all
HTH
Pat

Karl Laustrup
09-19-2005, 6:52 AM
Well Dan, having replaced the windows in our house about 4 years ago, I feel I can speak with a little bit of knowledge on this subject.

We replaced 14 windows with Renewal by Andersen windows. Cost? Right at $10k. Worth it? Every penny. Do it again [if I had to]? That's a big YES. Only thing I would change? I would have changed to casement windows instead of doing the double hung. Casement windows are more efficient. We are now looking to expand our home and all the current windows will be re-used.

We also replaced our sliding door at the same time, however we went with a Pella slider. I like the mini-blinds enclosed in the door. A bit more expensive, but when the cost of some kind of exterior covering is factored in [drapes etc.] the mini-blinds as part of the door are much cheaper. And they don't need cleaning. If I had it to do over, I would get Pella casement windows through out with the mini-blinds.

Bottom line is, make sure you get the most efficient windows you can. Remember, you're going to have them a long, long, long time. They will pay for themselves in heating/cooling costs in a few years. Less time as the price of heating and cooling go up.

Karl

Matt Meiser
09-19-2005, 9:13 AM
We are currently in the process of replacing the Peachtree windows in our 13 year old house with Andersen. The existing windows have failed due to a joint that looks like it should have been caulked at the factory but wasn't. We went with the Anderson 400 series windows. Since our house is newer and has vinyl siding, we are using new construction style windows rather than replacement windows. About a year ago I replaced one of the windows that couldn't wait with the same windows we are using and are very happy with it. We are also having one set of windows replaced with an Andersen 400 series sliding door. We are paying about $200/window + $120/opening for installation of the windows and about $2000 +$500 installation for the door. Our contractor is the remodeling division of a reputable local custom homebuilder.

Our previous house had Marvin replacemnt windows which had been installed a few years before we bought the house. They worked pretty well.

Last year my parents replaced their 150 year old single pane windows and new storm windows with vinyl windows made by a local company. They wish they had had it done 25 years ago when they bought the house.

Bruce Page
09-19-2005, 9:28 AM
Dan, I know this isn't what you want to hear but we replaced our windows with Pella several years ago and they're well worth the money. Gasp! Did I say that!!:eek:

Jim Becker
09-19-2005, 9:40 AM
Same as Bruce here...there was a remarkable difference between the Pella's we bought and the other windows we were offered. If you plan on staying in that house for any reasonably length of time, consider this an invesment and try to find a way to buy quality.

Scott Coffelt
09-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Whatever you do stay away from Thermalux or whatever their name is. I know they advertise here in KC. I checked on new windows last year, Pela, Anderson were the most expensive but best. I also looked at a local window supplier. I wanted a quote from the above for mentioned company, wouldn't quote me if my wife wasn't there and wouldn't set a price unless I agreed to buy. Sent them packing. We were gonna move, but since we are not now, I will look to replace. Still leaning towards Pella or Anderson. I figure the most expensive window is one you have to replace or repair again.

Rob Littleton
09-19-2005, 8:19 PM
Hi all.

I want to replace my drafty, old windows that date back to 1962. They are single pane jobs with stom windows, but don't make a bit of difference. I don't know much about window companies, except Pella and Andersen, but I do not have the 8-10k needed for their products. Any brands out there I should check out??

Thanks!

Dan

I think ANY brand NOT associated to Home Depot will be fine :-) (read, I HATE Home Depot and have a BAD BAD BAD experience with them recently)

Doug Shepard
09-19-2005, 8:42 PM
My brother sells windows/siding/roofing/etc. Scott's comment "I wanted a quote from the above for mentioned company, wouldn't quote me if my wife wasn't there and wouldn't set a price unless I agreed to buy" actuallyisn't all that uncommon.From comments my brother has made, he absolutely hates going out to quote without both parties being there as it almost always results in having to make a 2nd visit after the missing party balks at the cost or sees something they like better in the sales brohures and wants to make changes. He actually had one job where when SWMBO saw the windows that hubby had ordered, absolutely hated the style and wouldn't let the installers put them in. Anymore and he does his best to make sure both are home. The part about not setting a price unless agreeing to buy does sound pretty flaky though. Whatever brand you go with, you're more likely to get a better price during their slowest part of the year. If I remember correctly, bro mentioned Christmas time as being about the slowest. You'll find more companies bidding lower just to keep their crews employed.

Lee Schierer
09-20-2005, 9:24 AM
We put Great Lakes Gold windows in our house llast year. They are great and the price wasn't too bad. Cheaper than Anderson or Pella and in my opinion as well made or better. They are 100% vinyl, look nice and work well. We were very pleased with them last winter when it got cold. Great Lakes Windows (http://www.windowsunlimited.com/HTML/window-full.html)

Frank Hagan
09-21-2005, 3:27 AM
We looked at Milguard and a couple of others here in California, and went with a local company called California Deluxe Windows. I think they have a sister company near Chicago. They have a double seal on the windows, and we have been very happy with them.

Not cheap, but we plan on living here until they carry us out feet first. So for us, it was worth it.

Dan Mages
09-22-2005, 9:28 AM
Thanks for all of the advice! I have a few companies coming out based on your suggestions. I also discovered that Andersen makes a "lower end " brand called Renewal, which are strictly vinyl replacement windows. They are offering a sale of $100 off each window right now. One of the cool things they offer is a wood veneer vinyl window. They will be here on Tuesday...

Dan