PDA

View Full Version : best router bit in router table upcut/downcut

David Fielding
04-29-2016, 11:28 AM
which is best bit to use? upcut seems to be the right one, but would like to be sure before spending money on whiteside bits

thanks

Daniel O'Neill
04-29-2016, 11:33 AM
A upcut bit will pull the shavings toward the router. In this case it would be down. I use upcut mostly as it pulls the shavings out of the hole and I read somewhere it makes for a better cut.

Prashun Patel
04-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Depends what you want to do.

In a table, I'm inclined to use an upcut. The upcut bits are better at evacuating chips. However, it can make the top edge fuzzy during the cut. In almost all instances, this swipes quickly away and leaves a good show face.

About the only time I'd use a downcut is for delicate inlays where the show face edges are absolutely critical.

David Fielding
04-29-2016, 11:45 AM
thank you, it confirmed what i had read elsewhere....

Art Mann
04-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Your question is not specific enough to offer a good answer. I have used up cuts, down cuts, straight cuts, compression bits, single flute, 2 flute and 3 flute bits at various times. I have also used as small as 1/8" and as large as 1-1/4" bits. Some bits had a flush cut bearing installed. I chose each bit because of its particular qualities. It isn't as simple as choosing "the" best because there is no best.

If you are going to buy a set of bits, first define your most important task and lots of people, including me, will be happy to give you very specific recommendations.

I know it isn't exactly the same thing but, as an example, I use a CNC router and I have a set of about 25 bits I use regularly.

Mel Fulks
04-29-2016, 11:49 AM
If tear out possibility is not as big a concern as quickly removing wood,then use a single flute straight bit. Cuts real fast ,you can cut plywood almost as quickly as as coarse blade jig saw.

pat warner
04-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Is it safety or economics, cut quality?
Safety? Then a down cut; it pulls the stock against the table. Yields a reasonable finish.
Money? Get a straight bit; there's 10x the inventory of solid carbide spirals @ <1/2 the $. Maybe from 1/8 - >1.5" CD; you'll not find that with spirals.