PDA

View Full Version : Disston #4 find that almost was

Jon McElwain
04-29-2016, 11:16 AM
So I stopped into an estate sale of a historic school turned private residence the other day. They had a shop area with some vintage tools and hardware and some out-buildings with other interesting tools and such. There was a Disston #4 Mitre Box saw in the mix. I know Disston made some great saws, but unfortunately I am not an aficionado. Went ahead and picked it up for $10. Brought it home and looked up the medallion (see below). Too bad. At least I knew better and avoided the "Warranted Superior" saw that was also there...

Stew Denton
04-29-2016, 12:02 PM
Jon,

For 10 bucks ya did good!

Stew

lowell holmes
04-29-2016, 12:07 PM
I have a miter box saw and no miter box. I don't want a miter box, so I don't know what to do with the saw. It's too large and heavy to use as a tenon saw.:confused:

Stew Denton
04-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Lowell,

There is a video or two on Youtube about making a back saw. The guy used spring steel shim stock, and cut it up with a Dermel tool. I am thinking about getting a big back saw like you have to make into blades for a bow saw. You could also trim down the saw a bit to make a carcase or tennon saw. The blade might be a bit thick for a carcase or tennon saw, I don't know but I may get out my micrometer and measure the back saw for my MF miter box to see. The saw is an old Disston. Just a thought.

Stew

Bill Houghton
04-29-2016, 12:24 PM
Jon, try sharpening it and see what you get. For many tools, there's a perception of quality decline after a certain period that's often more a matter of quality control decline - in other words, a tool may be good or bad, depending on whether the production stars aligned over it or not, but either way, it left the factory. So don't reject it out of hand.

Lowell, you might find a buyer on That Auction Site with a miter box and no saw.

lowell holmes
04-29-2016, 6:37 PM
Stew,
The gage of the saw plate is thick and the saw is too heavy to convert to a tenon saw. :mad:

That's what I had in mind when I bought it. I don't know what to do with it.

Glen Canaday
04-30-2016, 9:01 PM
I've got a (much) smaller version of the same saw. Was $2 at a garage sale. I only find crap backsaws here. But hey, I have stones, if I find time I could thin the plate and make a nice dovetail with it. Who knows. Might just sharpen it and keep it.

Phil Mueller
04-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Jon, I picked up one very similar with a Stanley miter box at a garage sale for $35 last summer. Cleaned up the miter box and sharpened the saw, and I have to tell you, it works very well. Beautiful smooth cuts and the miter box is dead on accurate.

You may want to consider keeping your eye out for a miter box. It does make for a nice set up.

Alan Lightstone
05-02-2016, 8:08 PM
I picked up a Disston on eBay and had Bad Axe Tools sharpen it. Turned out to be a great purchase.

Of course, I then bought another saw from them, so ...