PDA

View Full Version : help with blum hinge

jim mills
04-28-2016, 7:08 PM
I have an excel worksheet to help with hinge dimensions, but the part I dont understand is rather than give you a distance to the center of the cup hole, they give you a "bore distance". As you can see on the worksheet, my current setup requires a 4mm "bore distance". How does that help me determine where to drill the hole? :confused:

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-28-2016, 7:10 PM
35/2 = 17.5+4 = 21.5mm, or about 27/32"

jim mills
04-28-2016, 7:26 PM
Thanks Gerry...It's getting late in the day.:o

Martin Wasner
04-28-2016, 7:44 PM
Gerry nailed it. The bore distance given by Blum is the edge of the door to the edge of the cup.

jim mills
04-28-2016, 10:04 PM
That's what I was thinking Martin, but the cup has a flat spot on that side of it and I was thinking that may or may not enter the equation...

Leo Graywacz
04-28-2016, 10:15 PM
Ya, it's just a simple measurement from the edge of the door to the start of the circle bore. Like was said before just add half the 35mm diameter to the bore distance to get the center.

I've set up all mine so that it works with 6mm bore distance. That came from the fact that I use to use almost all insert doors. So I needed to use the half crank hinge with the inset face frame hinge plate and 6mm was the natural for a 2 mm reveal.

jim mills
04-29-2016, 7:51 AM
I agree Leo. I had a jig set up too, then I downloaded the excel spreadsheet, and noticed that as door thickness changes, so does reveal and bore distance. I used to do mostly 3/4" doors, then I switched to 7/8", then 15/16". I recently did some 1" pantry doors. I used to be able to Keep all this info in my head. Any more....not so much.:confused:

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-29-2016, 8:25 AM
and noticed that as door thickness changes, so does reveal and bore distance.

Technically, as door thickness increases, the reveal changes to allow clearance to open the door. The bore distance dictates the reveal, so that's why the bore distance changes.

Leo Graywacz
04-29-2016, 8:26 AM
Unless you are using the thick door hinges I wouldn't recommend going above 13/16" thick doors personally. Unless you are rounding over the front edge a lot, they will hit the cabinet when opened. I stay pretty constant with my door thicknesses.

jim mills
04-29-2016, 8:43 AM
Technically, as door thickness increases, the reveal changes to allow clearance to open the door. The bore distance dictates the reveal, so that's why the bore distance changes.

Yep. It's nice that the reveal is on the spread sheet so doors can be sized accordingly to give consistent margins.

Unless you are using the thick door hinges I wouldn't recommend going above 13/16" thick doors personally. Unless you are rounding over the front edge a lot, they will hit the cabinet when opened. I stay pretty constant with my door thicknesses.

Heck Leo, I just finished a large pantry cabinet with 1" doors using the hinges listed on the spreadsheet above, and they worked just fine. A bit larger reveal than normal, but it looked just fine since the piece was so large.

Leo Graywacz
04-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Well, that the thing. I'm a stickler for a 2mm reveal.