PDA

View Full Version : Festool Dust Extractor

Eric D Matson
04-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Hey guys. I haven't jumped on the Festool train yet, but I have been looking at their dust extractors and sanders. I just received an email about getting 15% off a dust extractor. Are they all about the same, just different sizes? Have the festool owners been satisfied with their products?

Thanks

Ben Rivel
04-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Pretty sure just about anyone who owns a Festool product will tell you they are the best thing since sliced bread. Especially when concerning their vacuums, sanders, track saws, Domino or MFT. Those are their most popular/successful/commonly owned products.

peter gagliardi
04-28-2016, 12:55 PM
There are 2 different CFM ratings for the various sizes. They have a chart u can look up

Andy Giddings
04-28-2016, 1:07 PM
I've had a CT22E for about 10 years and use it daily for cleaning the workshop and for dust collection from portable tools (router, saws and sanders). They don't make this model anymore but it was the base model when I got it. Apart from replacing the bags when full, the only other part that I had to replace a few months ago was the 2 HEPA filters. It's never broken down (touch wood) and its far better than the shop vac I had originally. As Ben said, it does what its supposed to do very well and keeps on doing it. The auto start is also a nice feature when you're using it with a portable tool. If you are intending to use it for the same purpose, I would not bother with the higher CFM rating - there's plenty of CFM in the basic model

Steve Wilde
04-28-2016, 2:32 PM
I have also had a CT22 for over a decade and it keeps on working. It's very quiet for a shop vac, and does an excellent job. They're pretty pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I'm actually looking for another to have dedicated to my Kapex miter saw.

Allan Speers
04-28-2016, 2:37 PM
CT36.

One of those rare items that I'd buy again in a heartbeat, without even having to think about it.

Hoang N Nguyen
04-28-2016, 2:40 PM
I have the CT36 along with their sander, track saw, domino, router and MFT.... Soon to be Kapex as well.. Everything Festool works well together and the dust extractor does an excellent job. Another great thing about the CT vac is you can plug your tool into it and it turns on and off with the tool. It's also no where near as loud as a shop vac.

Mike Nguyen
04-28-2016, 2:53 PM
I have CT26 and CT Mini along with 4 of their sanders, routers, dominos, MFT, TS55...I had the Ridgid, ShopVac before but once you get one of the dust extractor, you will think the Ridgids or ShopVacs are junk. I don't recall Festool ever offered 15% off before so I would jump on it. Besides, you have 30 days to return it.

Peter Kelly
04-28-2016, 3:09 PM
Getting ready to buy a second CT26 in May for the house upstate.

David Zaret
04-28-2016, 3:22 PM
i have four, including two CT22s with the oneida cyclones that mount to the top. do it and don't look back. terrific equipment.

-- dz

Dan Friedrichs
04-28-2016, 3:35 PM
I'll be the contrarian voice: I have a CT mini, and it's "ok". If I could return it, still, I would. It's just not worth the money. I previously had a big Ridgid vac that I outfitted with a cyclone, variable speed, HEPA filter, and tool-triggered switch. It was a better vac for what I needed.

I could see the value if you're a contractor and are buying the whole "system" and want the Systainers to lock onto the vac and all that stuff. Or if you have more money than free time (nothing wrong with that). But it's not "super duper amazing!!!" like some people make it out to be.

Is there a dealer near you that you can go try one out?

Wade Lippman
04-28-2016, 4:00 PM
My wife made me get rid of mine. Sounded fine to me, but she said it filled the house with an unendurable high pitched scream. She hasn't objected to anything else, so maybe it was really there.

Eric D Matson
04-28-2016, 4:02 PM
I would probably use 90% of the time for a dedicated hand sanding station. I need better dust control in that area. I have ran numbers on the package prices with the sanders and it would be cheaper to buy the sander and dust extractor separate. I hear their sanders are good too. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Dan Friedrichs
04-28-2016, 4:20 PM
It's a really good "dust extractor", but a second-class shop vac (IMHO).

Some people say that they like it because they don't have to use ear protection while it's on. I think even the Festool sanders are loud enough that I wear ear protection.

Daniel Smith
04-28-2016, 4:21 PM
It's the only piece of Festool equipment I own. Add a DustDeputy attachment so you're not constantly replacing bags and I'd highly recommend it. For me, it's much quieter than my shop vac and is so much better as a dust collector with my sander. My biggest complaint is that the Festool hose doesn't always play nicely with non-Festool tools. The adapter I use works OK, but it's not as nice as it could be.

Michael Roland
04-28-2016, 4:41 PM
It's a really good "dust extractor", but a second-class shop vac (IMHO).

I have a CT36 that I use for dust extraction with the tools. I have a shop vac general cleanup needs. I'm happy with the CT36 for what I use it for.

Mike Cutler
04-28-2016, 5:20 PM
Hey guys. I haven't jumped on the Festool train yet, but I have been looking at their dust extractors and sanders. I just received an email about getting 15% off a dust extractor. Are they all about the same, just different sizes? Have the festool owners been satisfied with their products?

Thanks

Eric

Yes, Festool owners are very satisfied with the dust extractor lineup that Festool has. A visit to the Festool Owners Group forum will validate that. They're very nice pieces of equipment
I have a few Festool tools, but not one of their vac's. I already owned a Fein Turbo II, and it's a quality vac too.
If you don't already have a nice portable dust vac/extractor, than the Festools are worth looking at. It's relieving to not have a vac in the shop that doesn't make the fillings in your teeth vibrate. I have an older Rigid, and it's a screamer! :eek:

Jim Becker
04-28-2016, 8:35 PM
The Festool extractors are excellent machines. That's not saying there are not others with great performance and characteristics, too. Those that compete also tend to be more expensive initially, but it's pretty much established that "cheap tools" are often more expensive in the long run. My CT-26 bought many years ago still runs like new....as do all my other Festool products.

My advise is that if you feel there is any reasonable chance that you might embrace the Festool system, then their extractor is possibly a better choice than other brands just due to the absolute compatibility.

Oh, like many others, I have a small, "standard" shop vac that's use for general cleanup...I leave the CT-26 for servicing tools.

Bill McNiel
04-28-2016, 8:48 PM
I have the CT-26 and love it, great at sander dust collection but not that special as a "Shop Vac". Got into Festool when my 1/2 sheet sander died and Festool and Bosch were the only offerings. Dust collection when sanding is outstanding as are all the Festool sanders, I now have 4 soon to be 5.

If it is going to leave the shop, jobsite install, etc. I would look at the Midi. I believe the suction is the same on all models but can't bet on it.

Rich Riddle
04-28-2016, 9:57 PM
I have a Festool attached to a Fein dust collector. It's compatible in build and cost less. Some things in green just cost more for some reason.

Leo Graywacz
04-28-2016, 10:19 PM
I use the Fein vacuum myself. A lot cheaper, quieter and just as good. The Festool squareness and tool storage is very nice though. I also got the Mirka Ceros over any of the Festool sanders. A lot more money, but worth it.

Allan Speers
04-29-2016, 2:03 AM
I use my CT36 as a shop vac as well as for sanding & for my (Eurekazone) tracksaw system. It works just fine. The trick is to get a 2" or wider hose for shop vac use. This vastly increases suction. (While you're at it, get a hose that's not ribbed on the inside. The Festool hose is actually not optimal.)

The one thing that the CT36 is not very good at is picking up water. It has an internal switch that kicks off way too easily, and then you have to manually dry it before you can use the thing again.

Rod Sheridan
04-29-2016, 8:18 AM
Hi Eric, for sanding I like the MIDI the best, it's small, light and easy to carry up and down stairs.

I lost mine when it was recalled by Festool as it didn't have a Canadian electrical approval, they gave me a CT26 with handle in exchange. The CT26 is larger and heavier so I lost some functionality.

That said I would buy another if something happened to mine, they're great dust extractors and I really like the systainer approach for storing stuff.

We've standardized on the CT26 at work based upon my home use of one..................Regards, Rod.

jim mills
04-29-2016, 8:28 AM
Cant beat the portability if that is important to you. Only festool I'm unhappy with is the ets125eq 5" RO sander.

Marc Burt
04-29-2016, 1:55 PM
I have a CT26 and in general am very pleased. I have a number of other festool tools so it's nice to be able to stack and move etc. I still have my old shop-vac that I tell myself I use for heavier duty. But the fact is I hardly ever use it because it just seems so much louder since I got the festool!

If I had a gripe it would be the fact that it's not on casters. I think I've just been conditioned by a few decades of shopvacs but sometimes it's annoying to have to "steer" the festool. Particularly if I'm trying to put it against a wall or something, it's like having to parallel park a vacuum!

All that said, if you have no intention of buying other festool products, as mentioned, there are other vacuums out there that provide more value - even with a 15% sale.