PDA

View Full Version : A few pieces

Carole Valentine
09-18-2005, 11:48 PM
With the weather bearable now I am spending more time in my shop. Here are a few pieces I have done in the past week. This one was from a piece of maple Dick Hines brought me.
http://www.esva.net/%7Epchousecalls/maplene40.jpg

This is my first attempt at a collar.
http://www.esva.net/%7Epchousecalls/jkjpot40.jpg
http://www.esva.net/%7Epchousecalls/jkjpot4040.jpg
This is a tiny 2" maple bowl with w wood spirit dog in the figure.
http://www.esva.net/%7Epchousecalls/spiritdog40.jpg

Jim Ketron
09-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Very Nice stuff Carole! They all look great!
Your form is outstanding. Are ya ready for your DVR? cant wait to see what comes off it.

Carole Valentine
09-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks, Jim. I can't wait to get the DVR, but I need to get busy and get a stand for it. I am just not in the mood to make one...I haven't done any flatwork in 9 months and I would rather be turning! I am thinking about ordering the steel Nova stand they sell at Woodcraft. They don't seem to be able to tell me if it will handle the outboard attachment though. :(

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-19-2005, 12:56 AM
You guys and Gals are making me sad. Such beautiful work! I've got some great wood, but no shop time for at least three weeks. Honey-do list has to be knocked down. Enough projects to keep me busy at least that long.

Bruce

BTW, Carole the "Beautiful work" includes these pieces.

If you want me to check, I can find out about the outboard attachments for you. Woodcraft has decided that I might add something if I was part of their staff, so I will be joining them as of October. They have some very knowledgable people here, so they should be able to answer your question.

Robert Watsek
09-19-2005, 1:07 AM
Very Nice stuff Carole! They all look great!
Your form is outstanding. Are ya ready for your DVR? cant wait to see what comes off it.

Carole, I have to agree with Jim.

Just curious when you get your DVR are you going to keep the Jet mini ? Im so attached to mine that if should up grade I would hang on to the mini.

Bob

Dick Parr
09-19-2005, 1:15 AM
Very nice Carole,

I'm with the others and can't wait until you get your DVR, you are going to love it. :)

Anthony Yakonick
09-19-2005, 1:30 AM
Nice work!!

sascha gast
09-19-2005, 2:31 AM
carole, i have a DVR and the steel stand handles the outboard very well, you'll love the DVR, great lathe. even if mine doesn't sell, i'll have a nice backup lathe

sascha

Glenn Hodges
09-19-2005, 5:59 AM
The collar looks so good, first one or not. The dog jumps out at me, what a surprise when you find something like this in wood, and was this a nice find. The natural edge looks clean and crisp, very professionally done. Thanks for the pictures.

Michael Stafford
09-19-2005, 6:05 AM
Carole, three beautiful pieces. I am particularly taken with the NE, I think it is very pretty. "Spirit Dog" has a very beautiful shape. Those globular forms are hard to achieve. I am jealous that you can come up with names for your pieces. Most of the time if I can come up with something like "Round Bowl" I have expended more brain cells than I can afford. :eek:

Beautiful work! :D

John Miliunas
09-19-2005, 7:53 AM
Wonderful pieces, Carole! :) I'm with Glenn on the "Dog"! What a super "find". I just love it when stuff like that just emerges from a piece of wood. Great job on all three!:) :cool:

Keith Burns
09-19-2005, 8:01 AM
Carole, all three of these are wonderful. All have great form and finish. I don't thing they could be any better.

Carole Valentine
09-19-2005, 8:35 AM
Thanks, Bob. Yes, I definitely will keep the Mini! Can't have too many lathes.:D

Carole, I have to agree with Jim.

Just curious when you get your DVR are you going to keep the Jet mini ? Im so attached to mine that if should up grade I would hang on to the mini.

Bob

Carole Valentine
09-19-2005, 8:37 AM
Thanks, Sasha. If I may ask another question....how much sand can you put in that stand with panels in? Is it heavy enough tohandle off-balance pieces?

Carole Valentine
09-19-2005, 8:40 AM
Thanks, Bruce, but it looks like Sasha has already answered my question. I know you will enjoy working at Woodcraft. If there was one around here I would try to get part-time job with them. My only problem would be not spending my paycheck before I got out the door! LOL

Carole Valentine
09-19-2005, 8:44 AM
Thanks, Glenn. Ironically that little Spiritdog bowl was one I turned originally thinking to add it as a "companion piece" to the one that I offered on WC for Katrina Animal Relief. But when that dog popped out, I just couldn't part with it so I made a monetary donation to the SPCA instead.

Travis Stinson
09-19-2005, 9:24 AM
Carole, I especially like the natural edge, you nailed that one. IMO, everything about it is just perfect!

Jim Becker
09-19-2005, 9:26 AM
...I haven't done any flatwork in 9 months and I would rather be turning!

You have the addiction bad....:p

These are all wonderful pieces, Carole. I enjoyed seeing them on WoW and am glad you've posted the pics here at SMC.

Carole Valentine
09-19-2005, 9:56 AM
Truth be known, Jim...it is so much more of a hassle to post pics here since we can't upload them directly (I am assuming that they still don't want us to do that) that I just don't get around to it very often. :( I always forget what the img tag is and have to go hunting aorund for it after I put the pics on a server somewhere...guess I am just lazy! LOL

Jim Becker
09-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Truth be known, Jim...it is so much more of a hassle to post pics here since we can't upload them directly

Huh?? Sure you can and it's prefered that you do upload directly so that the pics stay with the posts. Pictures linked-to at another site could potentially disappear should that site go away or you accidently delete or move the file or change its name. Use the "Manage Attachments" button when you create a post and you can direcly upload up to 5 pictures per post. (You just cannot annotate them in-line that way with the current version of the software)

Carole Valentine
09-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Really? Cool! I thought a few months ago that they asked us not to upload directly, due to server space. Did that problem go away?

Harry Pye
09-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Great work Carole! What tool did you use for working the inside of the natural edge bowl? We both should be getting DVRs at about the same time.

Carole Valentine
09-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi Harry. I just used a bowl goge and a tear-drop scraper for finish cuts. When scraping I had to support the bowl with my left hand as it was thin enough to cause some harmonics to kick in and start the vibration thing towards the rim.

Jerry Clark
09-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Great job Carole, you got the fever-- and are doing GOOD!:cool:

Mark Cothren
09-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Ernie Nyvall
09-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Wow Carole, those are wonderful. You done good on the collar and on that natural edge. I like them all.

Ernie