PDA

View Full Version : Oscillating Edge Belt Sander ~ Which Make/Model?

Ralph Dayton
04-27-2016, 6:48 PM
Good day to you all. I’m very interested to hear any opinions and/or advice on selecting an oscillating edge belt sander. Do any of you have experience with the Vega? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Brian Millspaw
04-27-2016, 9:38 PM
oscillating is nice for smaller belts. Not strictly necessary for a sander with a 4' + platen. I used the rigid 4x24" belt / spindle sander for years and still recommend it. But, now i have a crouch 6x108 non - oscillating. I have the table set at a diagonal, so i'm using most of the belt. I have no problem with the sandpaper loading

Mike Hollingsworth
04-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Not a particularly precise machine. Go for a Grizzly. Along with great value, you get the Best Customer Service in the biz.

David Kumm
04-27-2016, 10:23 PM
You want a machine with a heavy, straight, and stiff platen. If the platen is concave or convex ( or has twist ) you have lost most of the usefulness of the machine. Table must be stout but trunnions must be massive enough not to deflect when table is angled. My platen is 7" but i wish it were 8-9" high. Dave

Clay Crocker
04-27-2016, 10:52 PM
I have the Grizzly G0564 and love it.

Cary Falk
04-28-2016, 5:45 AM
I would not have an edge sander without the oscillating function. I have the Jet OES-80CS (6x89). I am not thrilled with the fit and finish but it runs just fine. Believe it or not it was the cheapest OES on the market at the time.

Joe Cowan
04-28-2016, 8:13 AM
I just purchased the Jet. I find I use it more than I thought I would. I am pleased with everything but the dust collection.

Ralph Dayton
04-28-2016, 10:19 AM
I really appreciate all the great feedback so far. Joe mentioned dust collection. From looking at the different machines and seeing the dust collection ports, I could see that being a challenge. How do you Grizzley owners feel about the dust collection on those units? Thanks!

Keith Pleas
04-28-2016, 11:03 AM
I had a Grizzly G0512 (6" x 80" non-oscillating) and only used it a few times before selling it. I had a hard time getting it set up perfectly, but that was essentially a 1 time issue. But i also had a hard time introducing wood perfectly perpendicular and keeping perpendicular - I tended to slightly round the ends, particularly as the dust behind the trailing edge built up from being carried away from the leading edge. Oscillation would definitely have helped there. Dust collection was medicore.

It just wasn't the right tool for me. But I love my small Ridgid sander and use it all the time with a home-built dust collection system. I still keep a big eraser block nearby to help clear the paper but don't need to use it very often.

Steve Peterson
04-28-2016, 11:44 AM
I had a Grizzly G0512 (6" x 80" non-oscillating) and only used it a few times before selling it. I had a hard time getting it set up perfectly, but that was essentially a 1 time issue. But i also had a hard time introducing wood perfectly perpendicular and keeping perpendicular - I tended to slightly round the ends, particularly as the dust behind the trailing edge built up from being carried away from the leading edge. Oscillation would definitely have helped there. Dust collection was medicore.

It just wasn't the right tool for me. But I love my small Ridgid sander and use it all the time with a home-built dust collection system. I still keep a big eraser block nearby to help clear the paper but don't need to use it very often.

Another vote for the Ridgid if a small machine will work for you. It might not hold up for industrial duty, but is great for hobby shops. It is a good deal for around $200 at HD.

Steve

Scott Brihn
04-28-2016, 12:23 PM
I have the Ridgid as well. Definitely a hobby level tool. I purchased three before I found one with reasonably flat table. It is great for Cub Scout type projects and ok at shaping smaller furniture parts. Dust collection is marginal. Great warranty. If I have the need at some point I may upgrade to a larger floor standing unit.

Kevin Jenness
04-28-2016, 4:21 PM
I recently bought a used Progress 6"x108" non-oscillating edge sander when the shop I used to work for splurged on a Powermatic 9"x138" oscillating model. They love it, but at $5k they ought to. Grizzly makes a very similar model for considerably less- not sure what they leave out. We used to struggle with the Progress unit until I tuned it up (shimmed the platen flat and the table square). Now with a vfd it works very nicely for me. I just sanded the inside edges of a batch of square edged cabinet doors prior to assembly with excellent results with just a 220# belt, no burning at 35 hz (about 2200 ft/min). The dust collection is decent. So you can do well with a solid used non-oscillating unit like mine or a Crouch. I tried three Ridgid units and returned them all because of excessive vibration.

Martin Wasner
04-28-2016, 8:07 PM
You want a machine with a heavy, straight, and stiff platen. If the platen is concave or convex ( or has twist ) you have lost most of the usefulness of the machine. Table must be stout but trunnions must be massive enough not to deflect when table is angled. My platen is 7" but i wish it were 8-9" high. Dave

I'll buy that edge sander from you.

David Kumm
04-28-2016, 8:23 PM
I'll buy that edge sander from you.

336602 Oakley H48. Dave

richard poitras
04-28-2016, 9:08 PM
I have had a Grizzly and a Vega and the Vega is defiantly a better sander.

Ralph Dayton
04-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Richard, thanks for your input. I'd been hoping a Vega owner might comment. Do you have any specific advice/thoughts regarding the Vega? Is the dust collection adequate? I'm considering the single phase oscillating model. Again,thanks very much!

Jim Andrew
04-30-2016, 9:19 PM
I have a 6 x 89 belt size non oscillating sander. Doing it over would get one with a longer belt, as I could often use a longer sanding surface. Good dust collection means you get a bigger dust collector. I wear a dust mask when using it.

Jaromir Svoboda
04-30-2016, 10:12 PM
I have Grizzly G0564, I like it.

jack duren
04-30-2016, 11:11 PM
I used all of them pretty much. Got a grizzly at home. Works fine but your gonna get what you pay for.I wanted a Oakley H6. I passed on it was at an auction. Went for $2500.

richard poitras
05-01-2016, 9:21 AM
Ralph, the dust collection on all the sanders I had were only so so and it seems that most I have reviewed were only minimal and had about the same kind of pick up at the end of the belt. If you get a sander you need a good dust collector to handle the dust no matter what brand. Also I would defiantly recommend you get a oscillating unit as it makes a lot of difference for belt life and keeping the belt clean. The Vega is defiantly a better built machine and it should be as the price is about double of the off shore brands. You don’t see many Vega’s used for sale but you do see a lot more of the imports on Craigs list. Good luck on your purchase.

Ralph Dayton
05-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Richard, thanks again to you and everyone else who's added their experience and opinions in response to my question. I really do appreciate it. Sawmill Creek is a pretty amazing community and I've learned so much since joining. I do have a pretty serious dust collection system...Oneida V-Series Cyclone, which does an awesome job. Also a JDS Air-Tech for small airborne particles. I was concerned about the placement of the dust ports on either end...sounds as though they do a sufficient job. I've decided to go with the Vega oscillating unit and will be ordering that this week.

David Kumm
05-01-2016, 8:44 PM
I run a collector rated at over 2000 cfm and my Oakley, even with a modified port on each side, spews dust. Pretty hard to capture dust created several feet from a port. You have live with it and wear a mask- or hold your breath. Dave