PDA

View Full Version : UHMW adhesive

David Dalzell
04-27-2016, 5:30 PM
I will be making a shooting board and plan on using UHMW poly for the runway. Anyone know what adhesive is best for gluing UMMW poly to wood?

Mark Fisher
04-27-2016, 5:45 PM
UHMW has extremely low surface energy so gluing is tough. There are low surface energy adhesives out there but I'd recommend either countersunk screws or getting some UHMW tape that has some pressure sensitive adhesive laminated onto it. It isn't quite like trying to glue teflon, but it is close. If you really need to glue it, look at the loctite/henkels and 3M website and search for an adhesive specially made for bonding low surface energy materials.

glenn bradley
04-27-2016, 6:00 PM
I used wood screws from below in 2010. They extend about 3/16" into the 3/8" material.

Still going.

Bob Deroeck
04-27-2016, 6:06 PM
Fasteners are best. Contact cement should work. 3M 5200 will work, but removing it is a bear.

Bob

Allan Speers
04-27-2016, 6:07 PM
I agree with both posts above.

However, if you rough the surface with sandpaper, it will glue "reasonably well" using "Goop" or industrial 6100, or the like. I wouldn't trust this for a high-stress application, but for a runway it should work fine.

A few countersunk screws is still a very good idea.

Frederick Skelly
04-27-2016, 6:07 PM
I use screws with it, too.

Rob Luter
04-27-2016, 9:57 PM
I used 3M UHMWPE tape. It works great.

Marko Milisavljevic
04-27-2016, 10:37 PM
On my shooting board I was going to use a thick piece of UHMW, but when LV came out with aluminum shooting board track, I used that and no regrets, it is a great product.

Dave Anderson NH
04-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Mark Fisher is correct. Low surface energy materials like UHMW need either special adhesives like the 3M 300LSE series adhesives (eg 9453LE), need to be corona treated, or should ne mechanically fastened. The easiest option though is to buy the UHMW tape with adhesive already on it from Woodcraft, Lee Valley, Rockler, etc.

David Dalzell
04-28-2016, 2:30 PM
Well I wound up buying a roll of 3"wide by 1/32"thick adhesive backed UHMW tape. It should do what I want. I will find out when I build the shooting board. The shooting board is for the Veritas shooting plane. A gift from my wife.

Chuck Hart
04-28-2016, 6:19 PM
Well I wound up buying a roll of 3"wide by 1/32"thick adhesive backed UHMW tape. It should do what I want. I will find out when I build the shooting board. The shooting board is for the Veritas shooting plane. A gift from my wife.

David I bought the aluminum tracks from LV. They come with tape like you suggest. I really like the track.

Rob Luter
04-28-2016, 6:37 PM
Mark Fisher is correct. Low surface energy materials like UHMW need either special adhesives like the 3M 300LSE series adhesives (eg 9453LE), need to be corona treated, or should ne mechanically fastened. The easiest option though is to buy the UHMW tape with adhesive already on it from Woodcraft, Lee Valley, Rockler, etc.

300SLE series adhesives work great. We use them at work. I think they'd stick to butter :D

Patrick Chase
04-28-2016, 10:29 PM
David I bought the aluminum tracks from LV. They come with tape like you suggest. I really like the track.

The track is great. The thin (3-mil IIRC) 1" wide UHMV tape they provide with it, not so much. I refitted mine with 10-mil UHMW tape when it started to fray.