PDA

View Full Version : Festool Domino DF700 with Seneca's Small Mortise Kit question

Guy Dotan
04-27-2016, 1:51 PM
I have used a friend's DF700 for a while and debated whether to purchase the DF700 or DF500. I have never used the 500 (but I would have loved to have a lighter tool.) I ended up buying the Seneca Woodworking Small Mortise Kit for the Festool Domino XL DF700 (http://www.senecawoodworking.com/products/smal-mortise-set-for-festool-domino-xl-df700) thinking that I would get the best of both worlds.

When using the kit I ran into the following issue: the Seneca domi-shim is mounted on the Domino fence and used to raise the center of the bit to allow centering on 1/2" - 1" stock. It also elevates the transparent "sight gauge" from the surface of the wood and makes it unusable. The result is that it is very hard to align the Domino and the line marked on the surface of the wood. There is a notch on the lip of the fence body - but it is very hard to use.

Seneca just replied to my email and suggested extending the line from the sight glass down the inside of the shim using a fine tipped paint pen or white/sliver sharpie marker or using cross stops. Anybody else having the same issue?

Thanks!

Eduard Nemirovsky
04-27-2016, 2:26 PM
I don't have experience with 700 and Seneca kit. I have 500. But probably best answer you can get on festool forum. Just use Google for owner group for Festool.

Ed.

Prashun Patel
04-27-2016, 2:32 PM
I use the DF700 with the small bit adapter.
I do not use the Domiplate.

I just center it best as possible using the native depth stops.

The only caveat I have for users is to beware the plunge depth. You are limited by the bit, not the machine.

Larry Edgerton
04-28-2016, 9:15 AM
Also with the Senica kit it would be possible to plunge the 12-14mm bits into the adapter plate. I have it for my 700, but I think I will be buying a 500 just for convenience. I am looking at a solution for the viewfinder, but have not had time. Also, the small parts guide thingy will not work with the adapter plate, but I see a simple workaround for that when I get time.

These are issues that should have been addressed in the kit advertising.

Also I feel Festool should have an Imperial scale available in the USA. Every job I get is in feet and inches, it is just what is the standard here. One can not force what they feel is a better system just because it is what they use, reality is in NA all jobs come in in Imperial and materials are sold in the same. An alternate scale should be supplied with every tool that has one. I have the same issue with the routers.

Guy Dotan
04-28-2016, 6:40 PM
I am looking at a solution for the viewfinder, but have not had time. Also, the small parts guide thingy will not work with the adapter plate, but I see a simple workaround for that when I get time.

These are issues that should have been addressed in the kit advertising.

I would love to know what the possible solutions are. Seneca probably should have advertised the limitations. I might order the 500 and see if it works for me. Most of my work seems to be on the medium range and working with a tool that's inconvenient (and bulky) most of the time does not seem like the best idea. Luckily, I'd still have access to a friend's 700.

Larry Edgerton
04-28-2016, 8:01 PM
I have used a friends 500, and to tell you the truth I like the feel of the 700 better. Its just I hate changing over stuff. Seems like any time you need the tool it is in the wrong configuration.

Of course, I have over 30 routers, so I may not be at all objective.......:cool:

My idea is to cut the viewing area of the adapter plate out larger, it is too small for no reason, and have a piece of glass made with a line on it to fit the new cutout. I have family in the optical business, so glass is not an issue, and would be much better than plastic. I have a mill and see where I can improve on the plate, and make a better small piece holder that that plastic piece of crap Festool sells you for a ridiculous price. Couldn't believe what a cheesy affair it is.

Rich Riddle
04-28-2016, 8:17 PM
I have recently used both in anticipation of purchasing one. After using both, I plan to purchase the 700 and use an adapter.

Guy Dotan
04-28-2016, 8:37 PM
I have used a friends 500, and to tell you the truth I like the feel of the 700 better.

My idea is to cut the viewing area of the adapter plate out larger, it is too small for no reason, and have a piece of glass made with a line on it to fit the new cutout. .

I have not used the 500, maybe after using it I will fall in love with the 700 again :-)
Your idea seems solid. I think a simple change in the design of the plate: making the arc of the plate larger with a "v" marker in the top/middle of the arc - might work. I sent a suggestion to Seneca and I am waiting for their reply.

Bill McNiel
04-28-2016, 8:40 PM
I have the 500 and have been really happy with a few minor exceptions. The 4 & 5 mm bits are a bit too short ( I use the 4mm on drawers and it just need 3mm more in length to make me really happy).

For bigger tenons I just run a double height mortise, or some fraction of double, and cut my own tenons.

the 700 seems a little cumbersome to me but then I have small hands and am old.

Guy Dotan
11-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Just to close the loop: I bought the DF500 and have used it a lot over the last few months. I absolutely love it and prefer it over the 700. For me, it boils down to weight: the 500 is much lighter and allows me to focus on precision rather than on stabilizing and supporting the tool's weight. Also - working with the 700 for a couple of hours was exhausting.

Yes, the power botton is annoying and having a D-shaped handle would have been nice. Yes, sometimes you have to use more tenons in liue of bigger than 10mm dominos. Plunge depth is theoretically an issue too, although in reality I did not need it.

My most recent project was a king size bed and the 500 did great. See post in woodworking projects.

Jebediah Eckert
11-21-2016, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the update.

mreza Salav
11-21-2016, 9:55 AM
I had the D500 and used it extensively. Then bought the D700 and the small mortising adapter. Sold my 500 as 700 does everything I could do with 500 as well.
I don't have the domino plate/shim; I make my own. Haven't had any problem.

Ben Rivel
11-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Interesting read in this thread. I just lucked out and found a good deal on a brand new 500, so now Ive got a Domino coming. I was going back and forth on which to go with, the 500 or the 700 and when I played with them both at my local Woodcraft I quickly decided the 700 was way too big for what I wanted to heft around and for the projects I have in mind to use it for. Glad I was able to get a good deal on the smaller one. Now to pick up the Domino kit!

Guy Dotan
11-21-2016, 12:48 PM
You will love it. Sometimes, you might even go over the top :-)

Ben Rivel
11-21-2016, 2:08 PM
You will love it. Sometimes, you might even go over the top :-)
347972Ha! Well at least you can be sure of alignment!