PDA

View Full Version : Had a good laugh with the Crate & Barrel catalog

Mike Circo
09-18-2005, 10:38 PM
C & B catalog is one I skim to get ideas. Most of their stuff is easy enough construction to duplicate without plans. Case in point, the "Oak Park Credenza" A simple sideboard type deal. Square legs, square construction, few drawers and doors very little trim.

The funny part comes in the description....
"...meticulously constructed using traditional interlocking Chinese joinery..."

WHAT? Special Chinese Joinery. I've heard and seen fancy Japanese joints combining miters, tenons and blinds all in one. But never Chinese. So I investigate closely to see what it may be.

Can't find anything. A few miters, some dados holding vertical partitions and drawer lock joints on the drawers. Nothing else. Well, dado's do "interlock" and the piece is probably made in China these days, so.....

So, if you wish to impress your friends and clients, comment that your Dado joints are "Traditional interlocking Chinese Joinery". Crate and Barrel can be your support on that theory.

walter stellwagen
09-22-2005, 11:34 AM
The next time you are in san fransisco take a look at rosewood tables and chow benches
Especially those made in the 1930 and earlier. 3 way hidden tennons dovetails etc. All joints are hidden.and amazingly intricate.