PDA

View Full Version : New to laser community...buying used china laser

david forte
04-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Hi all,
Just wanted to quickly say hello. I am new to laser engraving and may be posting questions in the time coming.
I am in the process of acquiring my first laser engraver (used). It is a 80w Hugo from Hurricane Lasers (china). Yes, I know they are out of business and had law suits going, etc. I have read many of the issues here in the forum and they mostly consist of issues being with delivery. But this engraver appears to be running great...I have seen it in action a few times already and will be using it more today and will be getting a detailed "rundown" from the current owner. I have already reached out to rabbit laser and they have assured me that they are able to get me parts/maintenance if needed. The guy I am buying it from took a job 12 hours away and doesnt want to take it with him. He is offering it to me for $2500 (this includes computer, rotary attachment, blower, cooling system, cleaning kit, etc). The only "issue" it has is that the auto-homing switches never worked quite right, so he just bypassed them and set the home position himself. Not entirely sure what that means, but will ask him to explain in more detail this afternoon.
I was looking into buying the FSL desktop unit for $4000 later this year, but this seems like a much better deal to me.
I wont be using it on a regular basis like it seems many of you do. I have a small side woodworking business that I will use it to engrave cutting boards and other like small items.
Please feel free to share your thoughts on my decision to purchase....would especially love to hear from fellow owners of chinese lasers and hurricane laser engraver owners.

While I am a newb, I hope to learn enough eventually to be able to contribute to the forum soon....but till then, please bear with me as I may have questions in the near future.
I am located in FL.
Thanks
Dave

Keith Downing
04-27-2016, 1:34 PM
Not familiar with Hurricane Lasers so I can't help you there.

What part of Florida are you in? I only ask because Boss lasers is down that way and I know I would kill to live within driving distance of either Boss or Rabbit. To actually be able to drive over and see the machines, parts, talk to support in person, etc.

I'm not sure they would be excited about supporting another chinese laser, but at least you know you have relative expertise in your area. Might be worth exploring either way.

Dave Stevens-Vegas
04-27-2016, 2:10 PM
Most of the import machines come from the same few manufacturers. The Hurricanes were built by G. Weike in Jinan. A good number of machines imported to the US come from that factory including the FSL 24x18 I have. Plenty of parts not only from Ray at Rabbit but also direct from China. The homing switch could be an issue with the control board (I'm going to assume he's replaced the mechanical switches) but even if you have to replace it with all the other accessories that's still a pretty good deal. The primary difference between the same make import machines between vendors are the software and control boards. The mechanical components are mostly the same, or in the same ballpark in terms of quality, etc for the G Weike machines.

Dave

Keith Winter
04-27-2016, 2:17 PM
Since you asked for feedback, my two cents... Hurricane laser has been out of business for many years. You might be inheriting someone else's problems. But at $2500 you can maybe right if off as an educational expense if it doesn't work out. That's pretty cheap, but the terms cheap and laser don't always work out. That FSL is probably even more low end but newer. Not sure either is a deal, unless this is just a hobby.

david forte
04-27-2016, 2:37 PM
Not familiar with Hurricane Lasers so I can't help you there.

What part of Florida are you in? I only ask because Boss lasers is down that way and I know I would kill to live within driving distance of either Boss or Rabbit. To actually be able to drive over and see the machines, parts, talk to support in person, etc.

I'm not sure they would be excited about supporting another chinese laser, but at least you know you have relative expertise in your area. Might be worth exploring either way.

I'm in the panhandle....its more like lower alabama.

Matt McCoy
04-27-2016, 2:57 PM
Most of the import machines come from the same few manufacturers. The Hurricanes were built by G. Weike in Jinan. A good number of machines imported to the US come from that factory including the FSL 24x18 I have. Plenty of parts not only from Ray at Rabbit but also direct from China. The homing switch could be an issue with the control board (I'm going to assume he's replaced the mechanical switches) but even if you have to replace it with all the other accessories that's still a pretty good deal. The primary difference between the same make import machines between vendors are the software and control boards. The mechanical components are mostly the same, or in the same ballpark in terms of quality, etc for the G Weike machines.

Dave

^ This is good info.

Clark Pace
04-27-2016, 6:02 PM
Hurricane at first was just using gweike machines. So on the plus side there should still be parts available, like tubes, lens etc.. I visited hurricane laser a few times before they went out of business.

Doug Hoffman
04-27-2016, 6:16 PM
Hurricane did offer decent equipment. They actually finally folded last year. The owner was a former FSL partner. FSL sued them
and they went bankrupt. I think the Hugo sold for about $8000 new, so depending on condition, could be a good buy! I would take
it over an FSL hobby laser at $1000+ more money.

Dave Sheldrake
04-27-2016, 9:17 PM
Its a std Weike machine, parts are pretty much universal depending on what controller card they fitted. If it's a Leetro (step servo co) you won't have any problems.

david forte
04-28-2016, 1:37 PM
thanks everyone for the input....hoping to transport it to my house (20 min drive) next friday....hoping it doesnt get bounced out of calibration.