PDA

View Full Version : Delta 50-760 loose wire in switch housing

John Loftis
04-26-2016, 6:15 PM

Hi folks, I confess at the outset I'm a complete electrical idiot. I have a 10 year old Delta 50-760 dust collector (1.5 HP). It wouldn't turn on this morning so I opened up the switch housing. I noticed a loose red wire floating around. It looks like the black thingamajigger in my hand has a cracked housing at the top of it. The thingamajigger that is still in the housing has two red wires going into it, so I suspect the loose wire is supposed to go in the one in my hand-- but I didn't see a place for it to go.

Anyone have any ideas?

John

Matt Day
04-26-2016, 6:35 PM
The black cylinder is a capacitor which is burned out. Read the numbers on the outside of it and get a new one.

John Loftis
04-26-2016, 6:46 PM
Thanks much! Any suggestions on best store or type of store to get one? I'm in Dallas.

Bruce Page
04-26-2016, 6:54 PM
I would just Google the capacitor part number and go from there. They are typically pretty common and easy to find.

John Loftis
04-26-2016, 7:05 PM
Thanks. I'm not at the shop right now, but ereplacement parts said there is a 'start' capacitor and a 'run' capacitor. Not sure which one is the broken one. But ereplacement parts said both capacitors are obsolete and unavailable. I'm guessing I can find one with similar specifications elsewhere?

Matt Day
04-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Yes. You can get them from McMaster Carr, grainger, fastenal, Amazon, etc.
You should be able to figure out which is which by the wiring diagram. I'd guess it's the start cap since it won't start, but that's a mechanical engineer talking not an electrical one. But just look at what's printed on the cap and buy a new one, pop it back in.

Mark Paavola
04-26-2016, 11:42 PM
John, that is a start capacitor for the motor. Look on the side of it and you should see something like 88 -108 mfd or uf. It could be something in the range of 160 - 190 mfd. That will be the microfarad rating of the capacitor. Also it will list a voltage rating. It could be 250 or 330 volts or some other voltage. Match those numbers. You do not need to worry about part numbers, just the ratings. You can find them at any of the places that Matt listed.