PDA

View Full Version : Better to wait or do what you can with inferior tools.

Brian Sommers
04-26-2016, 3:41 PM
As a new woodworker and being on a tight budget I struggle with the following balance:

Would you wait until you can afford good tools even if it means not woodworking for a while?
Or would you find a way to do the task at hand with say cheaper tools or other means even if they are more tedious/difficult?

It's not like I have to hurry or anything, I hate wasting time. Time is something no one can get back, once it's gone, it's gone.

Sometimes I get so frustrated not having the correct tool because well I can't afford it right now.

If I have down time away from the shop, I'm usually reading about woodworking and/or watching vids etc on woodworking.

Any advice?

Pat Barry
04-26-2016, 3:44 PM
I would make do with what I had and make stuff. Sooner or later your work requirements will show you that you need a new or better tool and then get what you need for that task. For example, a circular saw can do about any cutting task you need to do but at some point you will want a miter saw or a table saw due to repetitive work, accuracy, or the effort required for jigs etc to make the circular saw do a job and then it will highlight to you what type of tool you need. If you do things the other way around you will have all the tools but no experience.

James Baker SD
04-26-2016, 3:48 PM
Do what you can. 90% of the nice things I have had in my lifetime were made with the crummy tools I started with. Now that I am retired and have nice tools to work with, I find the energy and time missing. I may never top the quality of the best pieces I made with those "crummy" tools.

Prashun Patel
04-26-2016, 3:57 PM
You'll never have enough money to buy the tool you want. Today's $50 reconditioned Bosch ROS is tomorrow's $350 Lie Nielsen #4 smooth plane.

You will recognize years down the road that being forced to work on a budget is a blessing not a curse. Buy the best you can - and that best may be HD/Harborfreight or used tools right now, and get to work.

What I would NOT do, is buy a giant set of a million tools. That's a recipe for disappointment and dust-collecting. Buy one, specific tool at a time, and do the best you can with it.

You'll come across plenty of deals, gifts, jobs, later to fund this habit.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-26-2016, 3:59 PM
Depends on what you want to build....

If you can make a chisel sharp, you can still use a cheap chisel.... you probably just sharpen more often; for eample

If it incurs some kind of unreasonable danger; for example, my Father-in-laws "table saw" scares the crap out of me and I won't use it. No safety devices of any type and the table top seems to not be secured.

Ben Rivel
04-26-2016, 4:08 PM
With every hobby I get into I usually dont come to getting involved in it haphazardly. I end up there because I always knew it was something I wanted to get into and something I would want to keep around to fill my time with when desired. Also since its a hobby I am in no real hurry. That said I strongly believe in waiting until I can buy the proper tool for the job and the nicest/highest end one I can afford. I like the buy once, cry once approach. Over the years I have been frustrated and disappointed too many time by trying to "save a buck" on these types of things. I told myself long ago "wait till you can buy the tool/toy you want or dont buy anything at all". Now I know that approach doesnt work for everyone (I think because most arent patient enough or dont want/care about nice tools/toys) but for me its the only way I can truly be satisfied with what I have invested my money in. That and the "oh man should I have waited and gone with that higher end version/upgraded model/other better tool or toy" keeping me up at night kills me. I hate it. So I dont let it happen and wait till I can get the best for me.

Sam Murdoch
04-26-2016, 4:27 PM
Work with what you have - learn from what you do - be amazed in years to come with what you have accomplished. :)

My experience in any case. Enjoy!

Jerry Olexa
04-26-2016, 4:36 PM
Good advice above....Do with what you have....Temporarily make do with a cheaper tool..Stay in the shop..Keep building..As your taste, skill expands, get the better tools a few at a time as your budget permits...Above all, enjoy this journey...

johnny means
04-26-2016, 4:55 PM
Most of the finest woodwork ever done was done before Festool, Martin, Felder, Powermatic, Bosch, yada, yada, yada ever existed. Get to work.

glenn bradley
04-26-2016, 5:04 PM
I too would do something now. It would be wise to choose something that is within the capability of the tools you have. It will only frustrate you to try to mill logs for a banquet table if you only have a tablesaw. Review your tool arsenal and choose something that can be made and go at it. Its a win-win since you get to woodwork and you get to learn more about what is imprtant and what is not when the time comes to choose what tools to acquire.

Lee Schierer
04-26-2016, 5:17 PM
I made my first piece of furniture, a sewing cabinet, with a sabre saw and a router. I covered the plywood with laminate. My wife still has it and uses it and refuses to let me make her a new one. I accumulated better tools over time. LOML wanted a pair of cabinet type end tables. The cost for the pair was more than the cost of the table saw I wanted. I used $350 to buy a Craftsman table saw, about $100 for materials, made the two end tables and the saw was paid for on the first project.

Andrew Joiner
04-26-2016, 5:21 PM
I've used a lot of tools in my life. I think any tool whether labeled inferior or superior, can be used to make beautiful things. I can't tell if a tool is inferior or superior until I test it by using it. A tool that's labeled bad by some one else may work perfectly for me.

Paul Kinneberg
04-26-2016, 5:24 PM
Pic a project and determine the min requirements from a tool perspective and go. Don't forget CL and forums like this for used tools.

Frederick Skelly
04-26-2016, 5:50 PM
Tons of good advice here. I agree - get to work with the best you can afford now. Don't buy more than you must, so you'll have less to upgrade later.

Do not think that you need a big Powermatic drill press right away - you can live with a black and decker corded drill for a long time. Nor do you need an expensive cabinet saw - build a saw guide and make due with a circular saw. Etc.

The important thing is to get out there and BUILD something you like. And to let us know if we can help.
Best wishes,
Fred

Wes Ramsey
04-26-2016, 6:12 PM
I was in the same boat as James about 6-7 years ago. I had a DeWalt drill, 10" Delta miter saw, lightweight Craftsman contractor saw, circular saw, ancient Craftsman router and junk table and a 6" Delta benchtop jointer, some big box bench chisels and a borrowed, no-name hand plane about the size of a Stanley #4/5. That was IT. I managed to build a rolling workbench where I could store my bigger tools underneath and bolt them to the top when I needed them or have a nice, flat bench for workspace. I had to move my wife's car to have room to work. With that setup, a Rockler floating mortise jig, and a stack of rough-sawn cherry planed down to size by a friend, I built a beautiful book case for my wife over the course of 2 years, most of which was finishing. After that I sold my bench and tools to prepare for a move and haven't built anything substantial since.

With those low-end tools my setup had to be absolutely perfect to get decent results. I spent probably more time tweaking tools and triple-checking setups as as I did actually using the tools. I knew everything about those tools and got pretty good at getting good results.

Over the last year I've been re-equipping my new shop with much nicer tools, some of which I have little experience with. Sometimes it is overwhelming just learning how to set everything up to get good results. This is partly due to inexperience and partly because I expect my quality tools to deliver better results. I don't know my new tools like I did my old ones and when I don't double-check my setups I make more mistakes. Granted, I do enjoy using them more, but there's a learning curve, plus the level of familiarity you get with tools you use often can't be discounted.

For me anyway, learning all new tools all at the same time is overwhelming. Maybe it would be less so if I'd picked up one or two at a time, but I did it this way because I didn't have ANY tools but a drill and a circular saw and big aspirations for building some quality pieces.

I don't know that I can help much, but what I would suggest is that whatever you do spend time with one or two tools at a time and get really familiar with them. Getting your blade perfectly lined up and table top flat within a few thousandths isn't just about getting perfect results, it probably has just as much to do with gaining that intimate knowledge of and level of comfort with your tools.

Andy Giddings
04-26-2016, 6:27 PM
Lots of good advice above. Like many, I started with my Dad's cast off hand saw, some rusty chisels and a screwdriver, so I know what the OP is going through. My first purchased tool was my workbench (a Black and Decker Workmate), followed by one of the drills that you turned like a manual egg beater. About the only thing with any power to it was the shed light!! It was about another 15 years before I purchased an electric drill. Enjoyed finishing projects at the start as much as I enjoy them now, its just different. Don't let a lack of tools stop you from enjoying this fun hobby

sebastian phillips
04-26-2016, 7:20 PM
Start making things, NOW.
Remember what they said about Bear Bryant, " he'll beat you with his team. then turn around and beat you with your players!"
The same applies to woodworking. A careful and clever woodworker with simple tools will build rings around a fool with a shop full of Felders and Festools...
You don't need fancy tools to build beautiful and functional things.
Design carefully, layout accurately, and you will be fine.
Obviously, nice tools will be enjoyable to use, and can speed things up. However, "not having the ultimate" is in no way a hindrance.

Paul Wunder
04-26-2016, 7:49 PM
Thirty years ago I made my first major project: a complete kitchen for our home (cabinets, trim, counter tops,
tiling, etc).

I had a $200 Sears Craftsman Radial Arm Saw, a $30 router and a twenty year old electric drill by GE. It took me forever; I cursed a few times, but my wife loved it and it helped later to sell the house.

I have more tools now, and better tools than before and I still curse at times.

As others have said, buy what you can afford and begin to enjoy your hobby.

johnny means
04-26-2016, 7:52 PM
https://vimeo.com/23095780
This guy never fails to inspire me. His work is quite minimalist, but he certainly maximizes with the tools "at hand".

John TenEyck
04-26-2016, 8:57 PM
Did someone mention it already? Can't remember, this thread is nearly as long as a book. The finest furniture ever built was done with no power tools, and not all that many hand tools. They didn't have modern steel either, nor sandpaper, nor glue in a bottle or finish in a can. Really simple works, just takes longer - and a lot of skill. That skill comes from practice more than the tools.

Design so that you can build with the tools you have. Practice, learn, and grow. The rest will come.

John

Rich Riddle
04-26-2016, 9:11 PM
Lots of good advice has been offered. Just realize there is a minimum quality of tool needed to perform work. Going below that level of quality will only frustrate you.

Rick Potter
04-26-2016, 9:35 PM
Johnny M,

You beat me to it. :)

Bill McNiel
04-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Johnny10 hit the proverbial nail. In my early 20's I built a foldout bed for my VW van using only a Swiss Army Knife. I built a complete Bedroom Set commission with a Delta Contractor's Saw, Stanley Bullethead router, 3/8" Drill, 760 chisels and some inherited hand tools. "Just Do It"!!!!

Mike Kees
04-26-2016, 10:35 PM
Buy old tools. PLanes at yard sales,etc. Used power tools (bigger stuff )are built better and work just as well as new ones. Its fun to clean up,fix and rehab old tools to work on the projects you want to build. You also gain an intimate knowledge of how things work. This is how i have filled my shop up over the last 20 plus years. I think there are only two machines i bought new. About 7-8 used. Good luck and have fun.

John T Barker
04-26-2016, 11:07 PM
As a new woodworker and being on a tight budget I struggle with the following balance:

Would you wait until you can afford good tools even if it means not woodworking for a while?
Or would you find a way to do the task at hand with say cheaper tools or other means even if they are more tedious/difficult?

It's not like I have to hurry or anything, I hate wasting time. Time is something no one can get back, once it's gone, it's gone.

Sometimes I get so frustrated not having the correct tool because well I can't afford it right now.

If I have down time away from the shop, I'm usually reading about woodworking and/or watching vids etc on woodworking.

Any advice?

I would, if you have the interest, see what you can do about building tools so you are not working with inferior tools. I'm talking both electric as well as hand tools. Make a hand plane or two. The process should improve your skills, as would making your own machines. Shopnotes, Woodsmith and woodgears.ca are examples of a few places you can go to see examples of tool building. A few chaps have examples on this site too.

Don Sundberg
04-26-2016, 11:24 PM
What kind of projects do you want to make? If you are looking at making furniture type pieces with dovetails, and mortises, then hand tools and some practice is the way to go. You will never regret building hand tool skills.

If you are thinking outdoor planters, benches, shelves, some cabinets, you can get by with a few power tools (corded drill, and a saw - think Kreg infomercial) and make a lot of cool stuff that isn't maybe "fine" woodworking but is still a lot of fun and rewarding.

In all cases used tools can be great. I've had good luck with refurbished tools too. Used HF stuff should be really cheap. Usually if I'm looking at used it is a quality tool to start with. Craigslist and auctions are your friend. I've gotten most of my light industrial tools for pennies on the dollar at auctions. If you buy something that is missing some parts factor that in as having to replace at retail when valuating. IE I bought my unisaw with only half of a unifence. I only paid $150 for it but I had to buy a new fence for it (and bearings and belts).

I've always done the buy a tool as you need it. If the cost of the tool is covered by the savings vs. having to pay someone else to make, then you are good. I think there are lots of us that justify tools that way. I started my woodworking with a brand new Makita circular saw and an old Craftsman vsr drill that I'm surprised I haven't killed yet (not for lack of trying). I built a picnic table that is still going strong 19 years later.

The punchline that everyone is telling you is get to building. Build your tools up as you go. You will appreciate fine tools that you may eventually have if you have used ones that aren't as refined to start with. Start building, it takes repetition and a will to improve to build skill.

Ronald Blue
04-26-2016, 11:38 PM
It's easy for someone to tell you that has never had to struggle to pay the bills to say buy once and cry once. As many have already said use what you have and can afford now. Besides the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction it gives you it will help you to know what features you need and desire when you can upgrade. There are lot's of $100 tablesaws that will do just fine when properly tuned and a good blade installed. Some people some whom have never owned one will tell you to stay away from a Shopsmith but if you find a 510 or 520 model they are not bad machines. Yes they are a compromise but they teach you to pan your work well. So you have lot's of options and they don't require a $3000 plus table saw to start. Good luck and most importantly use safe practices, respect the tool, and use eye and ear protection.

Charles Lent
04-27-2016, 8:22 AM
Start with simple projects that you can make with just the tools that you have. Don't try to build anything that is way above your tool capability or your skill level. Keep searching for things to make that can be done or almost done with just those original tools and your skill comfort level. Finding a way to do that one thing that you never did before to complete the project will build your skill set and experience. There are many ways to do each step in woodworking. Usually, the faster and more precise methods require the expensive tools, but most woodworking can be done with just basic hand tools and a little ingenuity. Our forefathers created works of art using only very basic hand tools, and you can too after you gain some experience and skills. The more you do something, the better you will get at doing it. The time to start is now, with whatever you have to work with.

When you find that you need another tool, do significant research into what is available and choose the one that will best do what you need at a price that you can afford. Used tools can sometimes save money, but be certain that it works properly or you can easily fix it, before you buy it. Sometimes new is a better choice, but research what is available and then buy the best that you can afford. I still have most of my original hand tools and still use many of them frequently. Some were not made very well and have been replaced over the years, but most are still very functional.

Charley

rudy de haas
04-27-2016, 8:52 AM
It depends on your skill level. The better you are at wood working, the smaller the tool set you need to succeed. I bought expensive power tools because I don't have the skills needed to work effectively with hand tools - but if I had the skills I'd have stuck to a small collection of high quality hand tools.

Notice, in this context, that a good hand tool is usually only a few dollars more than a piece of junk - while a good table saw tends to be nearer a thousand more than a piece of junk. So my suggestion would be to buy a few, but high quality, hand tools and get to work.

John Stankus
04-27-2016, 9:07 AM
BUILD!
Take a class
Join a local woodworking club
BUILD!

Add to your profile where you are from, and folks will help identify resources to help you get started.

John

Jon Grider
04-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Lots of sage comments, but I'll pile on anyway at the risk of redundancy. Don't wait, there's no guarantee we'll have tomorrow. Use the tools and skill level you have to build projects that appeal to you and will help you improve incrementally. Look for decent quality tools on CL, auctions, and WW forums. Some mighty fine craftsman never heard of Lie Nielsen and somehow made do with their ubiquitous well tuned Stanley #4. Use the internet, particularly YouTube to see how other folks solve challenges. Build jigs and tools yourself for the project at hand.Learn to use a tool to it's max. Routers for example can do amazing things with proper jigs. Avoid undue frustration, learn sharpening skills first. Google scary sharp for an inexpensive way to achieve that. Use the forums WTB, Sale, Trade site. You may find someone who has an extra tool that you need that is willing to give you a good deal. Enjoy the time and resources you are blessed with. Don't get hung up on 'collecting' tools, if you don't use it, you truly don't 'need' it. Reuse pallets, crates,and discarded furniture or lumber to build projects while building your skill level.
Best wishes. jon

Mark AJ Allen
04-27-2016, 10:36 AM
The tool you need, and do it just once.

roger wiegand
04-27-2016, 11:00 AM
When I was starting I signed up for woodworking at the local high school adult education program. Fifteen bucks a quarter bought me access to a complete industrial quality shop worth of tools. It's probably $100 now, but I was able to haul everything that needed a big tool to that shop one night a week and made great progress.

Jon McElwain
04-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Don't buy into the mindset that you have to have the next tool before your woodworking will be complete, great, or enjoyable. I have a shrine of tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools that at some point I just had to have. I can become consumed with getting the next tool until I get it, then, I get consumed with acquiring the next one. Only a precious few have been truly invaluable.

Be satisfied with what you have and enjoy the hobby. Comparing your tool collection with others will only breed discontentment. The Creek is a great resource, but it can steel our enjoyment of a great hobby if you allow it to make you discontent with what you have.

William Adams
04-27-2016, 11:54 AM
W/ a hammer, a saw, a drill, a chisel, and an Odd Jobs, you can make anything.

William

(who is quite bummed to've missed the latter as a Woodpecker's One-Time-Tool, but makes do w/ a combination square and a couple of marking gauges, including one shop-made one)

kevin st john
04-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Do what you are able to do today. We never will know how much longer we have left to live. We can waste a lot of precious time waiting for that perfect time to arrive.

Andrew Joiner
04-27-2016, 12:47 PM
A lot of good posts here. I agree. Just start working and learn.

Don't let tool snobbery affect you. It's easy to read reviews of tools and think I'm missing out on some magical experience by not having an expensive tool.

In fact the only way to experience a superior tool is to use an inferior one first!

Here's a recent example. I have a driver drill I love. I'll leave the brand anonymous for this example. I can easily afford any tool I want, but this a low to mid priced tool. Every time I use it I feel satisfied. I've had it for 2 years and would immediately buy another if I lost it.

How could I feel this strongly about this tool? I've used cordless drills since they first came out so I know what works for me.

Keith Westfall
04-27-2016, 12:56 PM
All the best tools in the world won't make you a great woodworker. Might make some things easier, but only practice and experience will make you better.

Build something TODAY! Improve on it tomorrow.

Repeat as necessary.

Alan Schwabacher
04-27-2016, 1:20 PM
Mike Siemsen's "The Naked Woodworker" DVD covers exactly this: how to start with nothing, and get going woodworking with minimal cash. He's also the guy who once taught a class on dovetails using a hacksaw, a sharpened screwdriver as a chisel, a hunk of 2x4 as a mallet, and a drywall screw in a block of wood with the top edge sanded sharp as a marking gauge. None of those is close to ideal, but you can easily learn to do excellent work with these tools. There's a youtube video where he shows how to use a viceless bench good effect.

Jim Dwight
04-27-2016, 6:58 PM
When I graduated college I moved halfway across country with a queen sized mattress and boxed spring set my parent gave me as a graduation gift, a bean bag, and an old table that once belonged to my grandfather - a very small kitchen table. I bought a couple kitchen chairs at K-mart that I had to assemble and that was what I had when I got married six months later. Then I set up shop in the spare bedroom of the apartment and bought a very cheap table saw, a circular saw, and a couple sanders. I used those few tools to make a sofa and loveseat (my wife sewed up the cushions) and a big kitchen table. Plus some bookshelves and a dresser. And a bedframe. I had to make a deal with the upstairs neighbors about noise but I got the pieces made. And we used a few of the for decades. They were not great with screws and glue the primary joint (holes plugged). But they worked.

Even now my table saw cost about $300. I have a track saw that cost twice that. But I think I could do most if not all what I do with my DeWalt with a Grizzly. And for a LONG time I just used a circular saw and home made guide.

You have to adjust your projects to your tools but also your patience level. I do not have the patience for hand cut dovetails. I like the look and think I could do them but I would go crazy with the amount of time required. So my dovetails are half blind cut with a router jig. But for a long time I didn't do dovetails because I didn't have the tools. I still use pocket screws even though I have a benchtop mortiser. If you want to make really nice hardwood furniture without a large tool budget the only way I can think of is hand tools augmented with a few benchtop tools. But to make things out of plywood, softwood, and even simple things of hardwood, it really doesn't take a ton of tools. If I was starting over, I think I would get the tracksaw first. They need less space, are safer, and will be useful forever. But I let my projects and budget dictate my tools. I bought more or better tools when I needed the to do what I wanted to do. I didn't go out and spend $5000 or $10,000 on tools to start. I started with well under $1000 of tools. And still made useful things.

John Sanford
05-02-2016, 12:50 AM
make stuff. Don't spend a lot on materials though. Focus on the basics, i.e. sharpening. Sharp tools can accomplish a LOT. As far as the task being "more tedious/difficult", many of the tasks aren't actually that much less tedious/difficult, especially when you take a zen/learn as much as possible approach to it.