PDA

View Full Version : Solar kiln

Kim Haubert
04-25-2016, 10:18 PM
Thinking about building a solar kiln like the Virginia Tech plans. I have access to a mess of old storm windows. Could I use those for the roof instead of the plastic sheets?

Thx
Kim

Cody Colston
04-26-2016, 12:46 AM
If they are clear glass and will allow the solar energy to enter the kiln they would work in that regard. Glass, however tends to break when impacted by something like hail stones. They may not shed water well, either, in something like a 45 degree slope. But, if you have them available, go ahead and use them. You can always change if they don't work out.

Kim Haubert
04-26-2016, 6:46 AM
Thx for the quick reply. A friend of a friend is down sizing and was told he has many triple track storms to give away. Will check out today.

Kevin Jenness
04-27-2016, 11:23 PM
336543I used tempered glass from standard patio door insulated glass units whose seals had failed. Mine were from units I had used in my own house, but you should be able to find rejects from local glass companies who supply replacements. Much tougher than untreated glass and large enough for a small kiln ( my footprint is 4'x12' and holds up to 550 bd ft).

Jim Andrew
04-29-2016, 3:46 PM
I have been collecting patio door glass anticipating a solar kiln. Now I see that Menards has the double wall plastic.

Bill Jobe
04-29-2016, 4:18 PM
I'd be concerned about temperature fluxuations, but perhaps that's been figured by those in use.

Kim Haubert
04-29-2016, 6:35 PM
I have been collecting patio door glass anticipating a solar kiln. Now I see that Menards has the double wall plastic.

Got a link for the double wall?

Lexan 8mm Thermoclear 15 - 4' x 12' Softlite Twin Wall Polycarbonate

Model Number: 8mmsoftlitetwinwallTC4x12 | Variation: Softlite

$120.96

Is this the stuff? Believe I'll need 3 sheets. Now can someone tell me it is worth it?
Thx

Kim Haubert
04-29-2016, 6:38 PM
I'd be concerned about temperature fluxuations, but perhaps that's been figured by those in use.

I haven't gotten that far yet as far as running it. But I assume the vents can control the temp? Or cover the panels a bit.

Cody Colston
05-01-2016, 9:43 AM
I haven't gotten that far yet as far as running it. But I assume the vents can control the temp? Or cover the panels a bit.

You assume correctly. Opening the vents will allow moisture to escape more quickly but will also lower the kiln temperature. It's always a compromise between the two. Partially covering the panels when you have less than a full charge in the kiln will prevent too-rapid drying, also.

The double-layer of the solar collector is to help retain the heat in the kiln. The air space between the layers is an insulator. You can use clear plastic for the inside layer but it won't last more than one season before having to be replaced.

Kim Haubert
05-01-2016, 10:26 AM
I am most likely today going to pick up my free windows. My thought is, if I have enough panes I could make a double layer of windows with maybe a half inch between the layers. Feasible?

The Lexan is tempting. But if I can save $400, I feel I have to give the glass panes a try.

Thx
Kim

Jim Andrew
05-02-2016, 8:14 AM
Menards has been advertising the double wall occasionally in their weekly sale flyer.

Cody Colston
05-02-2016, 9:40 AM
I am most likely today going to pick up my free windows. My thought is, if I have enough panes I could make a double layer of windows with maybe a half inch between the layers. Feasible? Thx
Kim

Yes, it is not only feasible but should be very effective.

Kim Haubert
05-02-2016, 8:19 PM
I have 27 window panes to use. In the meantime I will keep an eye on pricing for the Lexan sheets for Plan B.

thx
Kim

Jim Andrew
05-24-2016, 9:40 PM
As to removing moisture from the kiln, a guy on forestry forum says he just put a dehuidifier inside the kiln. That way he does not have to vent the kiln, and waste heat.

Kim Haubert
05-25-2016, 5:36 AM
As to removing moisture from the kiln, a guy on forestry forum says he just put a dehuidifier inside the kiln. That way he does not have to vent the kiln, and waste heat.

At first I am concerned with the extra cost of a dehumidifier. What setting would be used? Less than 60%? What temp would be too high?