PDA

View Full Version : Easy Reach Cabinet Shelves

Mark W Pugh
04-24-2016, 2:17 AM
I really like the idea of easy reach corner cabinets. I don't want a lazy susan corner, so these should work.

Question, how are the shelves secured without something securing the front of the shelf?

I'm looking at something like these. http://www.harlancabinets.com/news.aspx/kitchen-corner-cabinetry-options Picture 2 & 3.

Thanks

Mike Berrevoets
04-24-2016, 7:49 AM
I just made an upper cabinet and shelves like this a few weeks ago. For mine, the shelves are adjustable with the shelf pin holes. Two rows of holes on the sides like any other upper cabinet and a row in the back corner. The shelves are one piece of plywood cut in a "L" shape. Everything is up on the wall but nothing in the cabinet yet. Because of the shape of the shelves they don't seem tippy.

One thing, his picture #3 shows two doors swinging out. I don't know how they would close and not have a bigger gap in the middle unless one of them has a mullion (is that the right word?) attached to it. I didn't want to have a big gap or to have to open one door first. So I plan to use a Blum bifold door hinge. Not my favorite solution but the one that my wife prefers. She was adamant that she not have a blind corner. For the lower corner we will have drawers that pull out at a 45 degree angle. That box couldn't be big enough for doors due to the layout.

Michael Weber
04-24-2016, 11:40 AM
I just did the same thing as Mike. Used the Blum bifold hinges on the wall cabinet. Would prefer a better solution but it's what was available. I have a range hood that sticks out next to the bifolded door and if not closed carefully the door will bang into the hood. Thinking about taking the doors off, dressing the box and shelves up a bit and leaving them as open shelves.

Bruce Wrenn
04-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Open shelves next to a range hood are a grease trap.