PDA

View Full Version : Paul Sellers New Book

Chuck Hart
04-24-2016, 2:10 AM
I received my copy of the new book today. With 472 thick pages filled with color photographs of the subjects he writes about. If you are a new neanderthal I highly recommend the book. He covers most everything in hand tool woodworking, sharpening, saws, planes and everything between tools and methods.

Frederick Skelly
04-24-2016, 5:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up and brief review Chuck. I assume you're talking about Essential Woodworking Handtools, right?

Clay Parrish
04-24-2016, 11:48 AM
I enjoy PS' blog, but I sometimes think he would really bloom with a little editorial input. He writes from the heart, but he sometimes edges into a sort of beat poetry / stream of consciousness I find a bit distracting. Do you find this to be the case, Chuck?

Luke Dupont
04-24-2016, 11:54 AM
I enjoy PS' blog, but I sometimes think he would really bloom with a little editorial input. He writes from the heart, but he sometimes edges into a sort of beat poetry / stream of consciousness I find a bit distracting. Do you find this to be the case, Chuck?

My thoughts as well. I love his videos and his work/attitude towards work in general, though.

I'm curious to hear Chuck's impression!

Chuck Hart
04-24-2016, 1:52 PM
So far I have only had time to go through the first 70 pages or so. My first impression was that he started where I thought the most important piece of hand woodworking should start and that is with sharpening. If you are familiar with Mr. Sellers than you know he uses diamond stones and a strop. He explains other methods of sharpening but focuses on his method. From there he goes on to files, saw set, etc.

I am impressed with his easy style and the writing is much like his videos. This is less like his blog and more toward his teaching technique which I thoroughly enjoy. He has bit off a big piece with this book but I think he is handling it very well. I will tell you more when I finish reading the book. It is really more of a reference volume and the photos and illustrations are very good.

From my cursory look through the book it is very well done.

Phil Mueller
04-24-2016, 2:28 PM
Got mine in the mail yesterday. I agree with Chuck.

Jim Belair
04-24-2016, 4:50 PM
I'm hoping LV will stock them soon.

I don't mind Paul's ramblings. Better than fart (etc.) "jokes".

Chris Fairbanks
04-29-2016, 12:55 AM
Where can you buy the book? Thanks

Phil Mueller
04-29-2016, 7:30 AM
It's currently unavailable through Amazon. Try Rokesmith.com
That's his family's business name. Once on that page, click "shop". It should show up.