PDA

View Full Version : Stool Leg strength

Evan Lentz
04-24-2016, 2:09 AM
Hello,

I am making a bar stool and only see plans where they glue two pieces of dimensional lumber 3/4" + 3/4" together, instead of just using a 2x4 and ripping it to size. Is this really the only way to go?

My first guess is that this might prevent warping down the line?
Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
04-24-2016, 11:34 AM
A 2x4 is construction lumber. It is likely green -- that is, full of water -- and may have lots of knots. It is soft wood like fir or pine. As it dries in your home, it might develop cracks, and/or the knots fall out. If you're wanting to make rustic furniture, construction lumber is okay.

Gluing up leg blanks from 3/4" stock can allow you to use hardwood species. It also can allow you to use higher grade lumber, without knots.

A third alternative would be to find a different supplier that will sell you thicker stock that is dry. Then you wouldn't see glue seams in the legs.

Evan Lentz
04-24-2016, 7:44 PM
A 2x4 is construction lumber. It is likely green -- that is, full of water -- and may have lots of knots. It is soft wood like fir or pine. As it dries in your home, it might develop cracks, and/or the knots fall out. If you're wanting to make rustic furniture, construction lumber is okay.

Gluing up leg blanks from 3/4" stock can allow you to use hardwood species. It also can allow you to use higher grade lumber, without knots.

A third alternative would be to find a different supplier that will sell you thicker stock that is dry. Then you wouldn't see glue seams in the legs.

Thanks that makes sense - well the first stool is just for the workshop, but good to know when I make one for the house!

Dennis Ford
04-24-2016, 9:01 PM
Construction lumber will not be as strong as hardwood but should be strong enough IF the joints are strong enough. This a concern because the soft wood might compress under stress in a mortise resulting in a loose joint AND because typical construction lumber is 18 -19% moisture and will shrink as it drys.