PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a laser cutter for Leather?

Ryan Popoff
04-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for a reliable machine that can cut and engrave leather. The leather I use is primarily 3/4oz chrome-tan or chromexcel leather.

Can anyone recommend a machine that would reliably cut and engrave leather? I have been looking at both the Trotec Speedy 100 and FSlaser H-series machines, but open to suggestions!

Mike Null
04-23-2016, 12:48 PM
Ryan

Welcome to SMC.
I've used an old Universal and my newer Trotec Speedy 300 with very good success. Leather is one of my favorite materials. The Speedy 100 would work very well also.

Bert Kemp
04-23-2016, 2:53 PM
3/4 oz leather should be easily cut with a 60 watt laser. Al tho I cut mostly 5 and 6 oz veg tan leather , I don't think 3/4oz chrome being as thin as it is should give you much problem. if you wanted to send me a small piece of what you do I could try it for you.

Ryan Popoff
04-24-2016, 12:24 AM
Ryan

Welcome to SMC.
I've used an old Universal and my newer Trotec Speedy 300 with very good success. Leather is one of my favorite materials. The Speedy 100 would work very well also.

Thanks for the welcome Mike! What kind of leather do you cut? Do you do anything to prepare it before lasering? My concern is that there will be 'sooty' or burnt edges.

3/4 oz leather should be easily cut with a 60 watt laser. Al tho I cut mostly 5 and 6 oz veg tan leather , I don't think 3/4oz chrome being as thin as it is should give you much problem. if you wanted to send me a small piece of what you do I could try it for you.

I'd love to take you up on that! I will send a PM

Mike Null
04-24-2016, 8:45 AM
I use various kinds of leather but my favorite is veg. tanned cowhide. I generally turn away jobs where the leather is very thin as leather dries during the engraving process and will certainly crack at some point.

If I have the option to coat the leather with something my preference is paste floor wax. If not I just daub up the residue with a pinesol type cleaner diluted with water on a soft rag or paper towel.