PDA

View Full Version : Top Coat For BLO Treated Beech Desktop

Max Trichomes
04-23-2016, 9:45 AM
So I have this beech counter top that I am turning into an office desk. It's been sanded well, and I am going to apply a small amount of boiled linseed oil to bring out the grain and darken the wood a bit. After it's dried for a week I would really like to apply a top coat to protect the desk top. Like I said it is going to be an office desk so it will be getting some abuse. It needs to be able to withstand the heat of an overworked laptop, as well as a few monitors. Also a lot of writing will be done on the desk, so it'd be great if there were a finish that would prevent pencil/pen from scratching the desk. I guess the biggest hurdle here is going to be my lack of experience. My finishing experience includes a small amount of staining and that's about it. So I need something that is going to be relatively easy to get an even coat with out doing 72 applications.

What would you suggest for a finish to the desktop that combines durability with ease to apply? Thanks in advance, you guys are the best.

Edit: This post is no longer relevant to my interests, I've decided to forgo the BLO and just go with Waterlox. Feel free to answer for all the lurkers, but I don't need it. Thanks anyways.