PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on/about Hurricane 16 Piece Woodturning HSS Chisel Set

George Courson
04-22-2016, 4:41 PM
The Hurricane 16 Piece Woodturning HSS Chisel Set (http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/products/Hurricane-16-Piece-Woodturning-HSS-Chisel-Set-631.html?sid=9499aae92adb4a5e85ecd9a4083dca23)look s to be a decent set of tools, giving a wide enough range. Question is, have any of y'all tried them and/or are they any good?

They claim "These are great tools if you need to outfit your shop with quality tools but can't spend $80 and up for a single tool. You will find them to be a great value. We recommend starting out with the standard series and upgrading to our Professional Series as your skills grow."

Anyone with any experience with them, please weigh in.

Bob Bouis
04-22-2016, 5:17 PM
They are a bit lighter construction, shorter flutes, etc., than some of the popular tools here. But they aren't bad. The handles are a good length, the steel is HSS and seems to work well enough, and except for the spindle gouges they have decent usable lengths. I have several hurricane tools and use them on a regular basis.

Whether you need the whole set is a different question, however. It's a good price per tool but a lot of them you could do without, would rather have better tools, etc. And of course it depends on what you already have.

David Delo
04-22-2016, 5:28 PM
Can't speak to this entire set but I did get there set of 3 bowl & set of 3 spindle gouges and overall can't complain. I bought them to try out different grinds for different applications to see what I liked best without grinding away on my better quality stuff. I put a 40/40 grind on the 1/4" bowl gouge for dovetailing bowl tenons and it's become my go to tool for that. Have a 75 degree bevel on the 3/8" and it works great as a bottom feeder. Not so satisfied with the 1/2" that has a 60 degree Thompson style grind. Doesn't seem to keep an edge like the others so I use it for initial cuts where there's some bark. Might convert it to a bottom feeder to see if it's any better. I've been using the spindle gouges on some spheres and they seem to do a good job and give good finish and keep their edge pretty well. Never used their scrapers or SRG's so no opinion. With a fresh edge, they seems to do just fine.