PDA

View Full Version : Does this make me a real "tool"?

Brian Kent
04-22-2016, 1:51 PM
Sometimes I would like to buy a tool, just to break the tedium of the day and to be able to wait expectantly for something new that I may not even need.

I am probably the only person on earth who does that.

Should my emotional state be so closely linked with tool purchases?

Is it more or less harmful than other addictions?

So many questions.

So many tools available to buy.

OK, back to work.

Prashun Patel
04-22-2016, 1:54 PM
Nope. Makes you just like me. Brothers across the nation. Kindred spirits. Take solace that you are in good - or at least - similar emotional company.

Jeffrey Cole
04-22-2016, 2:09 PM
We all buy tools, most of them we need some we do not but like to have. Tools are what makes to tick, they turn our tractor, they are our justification for being. Good tools are the best. I save my money to buy the best I can. Do I need them all no. do I enjoy their company in my shop yes. No harm done. Enjoy your relationship with your tools.

Thom Sturgill
04-22-2016, 3:52 PM
I think most of us are tool-a-holics. I am the type that wants the 'correct' tool for the job, rather than 'just making do' with another tool that while not designed for the job can do what is needed.

Sid Matheny
04-22-2016, 4:22 PM
It doesn't bother me a bit to buy a tool I don't really need as I might need it some day. On the other hand my wife don't agree! :o

Roger Chandler
04-22-2016, 4:29 PM
Amen, Thom!
Amen, Sid!
Amen, Prashun!

Brian........well, lets just say, "I feel your pain!" I only buy tools I believe can be very useful to me, but that is a lot of them! :D Did you get inspiration from my other post? :rolleyes:

Bob Mezzatesta
04-22-2016, 5:15 PM
The only tool I regret is the one I need that I don't own. Which means I have a lot of tools.

Brian Kent
04-22-2016, 5:34 PM
Amen, Thom!
Amen, Sid!
Amen, Prashun!

Brian........well, lets just say, "I feel your pain!" I only buy tools I believe can be very useful to me, but that is a lot of them! :D Did you get inspiration from my other post? :rolleyes:

I get inspiration from every post that includes a tool. Oh look! Shiny!

Tom Giacomo
04-22-2016, 7:48 PM
I have a whole cabinet full of tools just waiting to be needed.

James Combs
04-22-2016, 8:19 PM
I have a whole cabinet full of tools just waiting to be needed.

+1 for what Tom said.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-22-2016, 9:05 PM
I just found a tool yesterday, that I knew I had, but didn't know what I needed if for, long ago when I bought it. I'm glad I have it. No, I have not used it recently.

I collect planes too. (woodworking planes) It's a sickness. I told that to one lady who was selling her husband's planes. She said, "Oh, how long have you been ill?" LOL. That was a score, 3 planes for 25 bucks. The only one that I really wanted was the #5. Yes, her husband did know she was selling his planes. I asked before buying. 2 block planes were with the #5.

david privett
04-23-2016, 9:10 AM
this is not to bad, I keep thinking about buying a dozer that I could use some but never to get a real foreseeable pay back. So yes I feel your pain.

Roger Chandler
04-23-2016, 4:08 PM
this is not to bad, I keep thinking about buying a dozer that I could use some but never to get a real foreseeable pay back. So yes I feel your pain.

Hey guys.......I'm not kidding here! Lately I have been drooling over a bandsaw mill for cutting logs into lumber. Not just a little simple one either.....trailered with full hydrolics, log dogs, turner, hydrolic lifts, etc! :eek: At this point I have no need of it, not even the acerage that would justify such a thing! Now mind you, I am not foolish, and unless I am able to acquire some acres of land and the right place when I move from where I am, I would not get one for sure, but I am thinking ahead.

I think Moma must have been bitten by a termite when she was expecting me.......I sure do have making sawdust in my DNA! :D Oh yea, I've got it bad! :o

Reed Gray
04-23-2016, 6:06 PM
Well, being curious has its drawbacks... I do have some that I got that I never use like the Sorby Spindle masters. Some I have 're-purposed'. Some I tried then put away and then got out again and figured out like the McNaughton and skew chisels. One yet to buy and figure out is/are hook tools. I have others I am 'inventing' for my tool-a-holic friends....

robo hippy

david privett
04-23-2016, 10:48 PM
yeah a band mill is # 2 on the list if the harbor freight one out of the box would cut twelve and a half feet , I need one now for a new tractor shed. I find it hard to believe the good ratings it gets , but you can never know.

Steve Peterson
04-24-2016, 11:18 AM
I guess we all do the same thing. It makes me feel better to buy something when I am really busy with other things and don't get any time in the shop.

Steve

Olaf Vogel
04-24-2016, 4:44 PM
Hmmm....lemme see, 5 drill presses. And countless other stiff i dont need.
my justification, at the time, is that it was a reeeeaaaly good price!

(anyone wanna buy a drill press?)

:)

Gary Herrmann
04-24-2016, 9:59 PM
Cheaper than guns.