PDA

View Full Version : :) concrete put down

Clark Pace
04-22-2016, 11:25 AM
So I been renting a shop for the last 2 years. I finally saved enough to build my own shop in my back yard. I had to go through a process to allow me to run my laser engraver in city limits. Finally got approval.

The concrete has been laid, dedicated electrical :). and shop come next. Shed arrives next week.

I'm stoked. No more rent. Saving for my business.

It's not huge so I'm being creative with where to put things. I'll post pics.

Bert Kemp
04-22-2016, 11:28 AM
awesome Clark good luck with the building process or shed installation :)

Glen Monaghan
04-22-2016, 12:00 PM
I can imagine the excitement and anticipation. I finished building mine a couple of weeks ago and am in the process of installing cabinets, furniture, etc. so I can move in. I actually took some materials in to work on there, just to "try it out" before it's all set up and ready to move in. Fun, and what an improvement!

David Somers
04-22-2016, 2:05 PM
Congrats Clark!!! Anxious to see photos as you progress along!!!

I am set up in my 20x20 garage with that big Chinese laser and a CNC, and my big wood lathe along with various other tools and all the other family things that go into a garage for storage. Organizing it seems like an evolving process, but fun!! Hope this goes great for you and you end up with a place to work in that fits you like a glove and you have fun in!

Dave
PS....where are you located that a laser engraver took so much permitting to get going? Just curious.

Matt McCoy
04-22-2016, 3:36 PM
Congratulations!

...Organizing it seems like an evolving process, but fun!!

I can totally relate.

Clark Pace
04-22-2016, 6:12 PM
Congratulations!

I can totally relate.

I'll send pics when. I've got my laser, 3d printer, table saw, computer, work table, cnc and few more items I need to figure out how to arrange.

Joe Pelonio
04-22-2016, 7:04 PM
Congratulations! I have mine at home too. I also wonder what the permitting problem was, we have no restrictions here beyond the home business license and that's just $15 and an easy form.

David Somers
04-22-2016, 7:39 PM
Yeah! Seattle is not an easy place to meet compliance issues a lot of time, but the laser and CNC and lathe didnt make anyone in the City bat an eye. And although Joe is out of Seattle proper the county still has plenty of regs to keep us all busy. Very curious what the issues were?

Clark Pace
04-22-2016, 8:13 PM
Congratulations! I have mine at home too. I also wonder what the permitting problem was, we have no restrictions here beyond the home business license and that's just $15 and an easy form.

Around here they send letters out to the neighbors and make sure they are ok with a business being near by. So be kind to neighbors. You also have to go to the city council and show them what you are doing. They have to vote on it.

There are certain businesses they don't allow metal shops, car repair etc. Also you can only have a limited numbers of customer traffic. 99% of my business is online anyways.

Kev Williams
04-22-2016, 9:11 PM
Home businesses are great, but if you aren't careful...

-- be afraid... be very afraid... ;) (this is about 1/5th the total)

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/homeshop.jpg

Clark Pace
04-22-2016, 9:17 PM
Looks like a lot of fun to me!

Home businesses are great, but if you aren't careful...

-- be afraid... be very afraid... ;) (this is about 1/5th the total)

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/homeshop.jpg

alan corder
04-23-2016, 6:58 AM
What's wrong with that? I bet you know where to find everything too!

David Somers
04-23-2016, 1:36 PM
Alan, He can find everything, that is true. Except his wife. She came in the shop about a year ago and hasnt been seen since. Though Kev says he sometimes thinks he hears her voice faintly calling off in the distance.

<grin>

My friend popped by when I had this photo on my screen. He is a safety officer in the office I retired from. He saw this and chuckled worriedly. I played with him and told him one of our offices sent me this to ask for suggestions on better organizing their maintenance shop. I thought he was going to birth a calf on the spot, which would have made a hash of my carpet.

Kev Williams
04-23-2016, 9:53 PM
While it looks pretty funky, mostly what you see is just a crapload of airlines, vacuum hoses, a bunch of serial & parallel cables and power strips... Not really all that 'unsafe', just looks like it! ;)

David Somers
04-24-2016, 7:29 PM
Just teasing you Kev!!! But you would have loved the look on my friends face as I progressed through this bit of leg pulling. He gives bovine birth many times during the year as he travels from park to park inspecting things. OSHA is afraid of him I think!

John Bion
04-25-2016, 5:17 AM
Congratulations, sounds fantastic, nothing quite like the commute to work from your back door to your home workshop door :)

Bill George
04-25-2016, 8:27 AM
Maybe you have already done so, but I ran a water line out to my shop. Its underground but not deep enough for Iowa winters, PEX and running inside a 2 inch PVC pipe. I use compressed air to blow it out for winter.

Kev Williams
04-25-2016, 3:52 PM
^^^^^^^ YES!!!! ^^^^^^^ and a sink w/drain if you can swing it--

I turned my garage into more shop space a couple of years ago, and not having water and a sink out there just plain sucks!

Glen Monaghan
04-25-2016, 4:10 PM
Depending on what you want water and sink for, and how much you expect to use them, I found that a free-to-me utility basin/washtub works great with a jug of water on a shelf above it for supply and a bucket underneath for a drain. Quicker and far cheaper to set up than running pipe/connecting to your water mains and, surprisingly, not particularly a nuisance to fill/drain as needed. Originally, I had a gallon jug but that proved too small, and a 5 gallon jug was cumbersomely big/heavy, but 2 gallons is good for my purposes.

Bill George
04-25-2016, 4:23 PM
I don't know where you are located or building code enforcement, but if its just grey water from hand washing look up dry well. And in the summer it could be diverted to your garden for irrigation.