PDA

View Full Version : Corel help

Graham Taylor
04-22-2016, 3:39 AM
Hi all,

I need to create a second outline of the temple shape shown below (file attached) so that it is bigger than the original but is still the same shape so that one fits inside the other - like I have done with the box to the side of it.

Is this possible given the shape? I have spent ages trying to get it done but with no sucess.

Any help much appreciated.

Jiten Patel
04-22-2016, 4:50 AM
In Illustrator you can do that very easily using the Offset Path tool. In Corel which I am not familiar with at all I believe it is called the Interactive Contour Tool? Give that a go.

Mike Null
04-22-2016, 7:14 AM
The contour tool will allow you to do that either inside or outside the line.

Bill Munroe
04-22-2016, 9:34 AM
I'm certainly not an expert and have not tried it on the above, but I know from past experience that when I tried to use the contour tool to accomplish what Jiten is trying, it did not work. Some of the curves will get "deformed". If it were me, I would try making a copy of the original and then changing the size of the copy. Then center one on the other. Just my 2 cents :)

Bert Kemp
04-22-2016, 11:30 AM
in corel if you ctr D it will make a copy then just make it bigger or smaller what ever you want easy pizzy

Mike Null
04-22-2016, 1:03 PM
Sorry guys, but an enlarged copy will not work for this job. The contour tool is the answer.

Bert Kemp
04-22-2016, 1:14 PM
yep contour tools works except the little moon on top of the steeple doesn't come out but your right the copy won't work my bad.

Sorry guys, but an enlarged copy will not work for this job. The contour tool is the answer.336166

Tony Lenkic
04-22-2016, 1:29 PM
yep contour tools works except the little moon on top of the steeple doesn't come out but your right the copy won't work my bad.

Bert,

That depends on how tight you assign contour offset.

Bert Kemp
04-22-2016, 1:38 PM
True but if you narrow it down to get the moon its very distorted suppose it depend on how defined the OP needs it

Bert,

That depends on how tight you assign contour offset.

Bill Munroe
04-22-2016, 2:58 PM
Thanks, Mike. This thread intrigues me. I'll have to play with the graphic some when I get home. I do know that while I have had great success with the contour tool for some things, depending on how much of an off set I needed, it would severely distort the shape. Looks like I need to play with it some more!

Lee DeRaud
04-22-2016, 3:44 PM
Just a thought: enlarge the image to the size you want the outer contour to be (likely a different enlargement in X and Y) and then contour inside where the distortions won't be as critical.

Graham Taylor
04-22-2016, 4:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. I tried the contour tool as Jit suggested but, as Bert says, the moon doesn't come out well.

The design is required for a stencil and the only way I could think of making it a stencil was to try to make a bigger out line shape and then use the erase tool to cut both outlines so that it enables e stencil to stay (not sure if that makes sense).

I will have another go tomorrow

Bert Kemp
04-22-2016, 4:49 PM
doing an outside contour with very tight lines it comes out ok how much room do you need?

Graham Taylor
04-22-2016, 5:27 PM
Probably about 2mm but would meet to test the stencil once cut to make sure it works ok with the ink.

Tony Lenkic
04-22-2016, 5:36 PM
Graham,

If you are making stencil see attached file

Kev Williams
04-22-2016, 9:37 PM
Best software I own for outlining like this is my 1991 DOS version of CasMate. Works pretty much like Corel but it's actually faster and more reliable. I've crashed my whole computer more than once using the Contour function in Corel. It doesn't like offsetting lots of stuff at once. Casmate don't care....

The come out nearly identical too. In this Corel save, the black was done in Casmate, the red was done in Corel. Each one is offset 5 times both inward and outward in .005" increments. The only real difference is in the left half of the moon, Corel kept the pointy-thing going, Casmate rounded it off. Otherwise, nearly identical.

Graham Taylor
04-23-2016, 3:18 AM
Thanks for all the help and the files - it really is much appreciated.

john passek
04-28-2016, 3:36 PM
When you use contour to make your duplicate and something is out of shape I make sure it's converted to curves and just adjust the outline until it looks decent.
My 2 c